PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Reverting to 32 bit

mousestalker
November 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
When I upgraded to 9.10 I lost some critical functionality with Firefox. I haven't been able to restore it but my friend who has 32 bit 9.10 can do what I can not (It's a flash and javascript issue combined).

How do I go from 64 bit to 32 bit?

A complete install or is there an easier way?

What other pointers, issues or suggestions does the community know about?

steven1664
November 25th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Do you have flash and java installed on your system. If you dont have them then they aren't going to work. You can go to your terminal and type

sudo apt-get install flashplayer-mozilla

There are many versions of java to choose from just the jre should work for you. Go to your terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

That should fix your issues.

mousestalker
November 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I do have flash and java. They are both as current as possible. I still can not view tiffs in firefox (although I can in opera, opera just has severely limited functionality because of the particular website's design).

So it looks like switching to 32 bit is the only solution.

dhavalbbhatt
November 25th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I do have flash and java. They are both as current as possible. I still can not view tiffs in firefox (although I can in opera, opera just has severely limited functionality because of the particular website's design).

So it looks like switching to 32 bit is the only solution.

I don't think this is a 32bit vs 64bit issue. I am sure there are certain things that are very specific to your scenario which are causing flash and jave to not work the way you want them to work. As a side, have you tried installing chorme? Chrome does a really good job with java and flash pluggins.

mousestalker
November 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Chrome on linux? It isn't available through Synaptic.

I know that I can view and print tiff documents off of the GSCCCA website (www.gsccca.org) in 32 bit. I know that with similarly upgraded plugins I can not on 64 bit.

Hence my query.

dhavalbbhatt
November 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Chrome on linux? It isn't available through Synaptic.

I know that I can view and print tiff documents off of the GSCCCA website (www.gsccca.org) in 32 bit. I know that with similarly upgraded plugins I can not on 64 bit.

Hence my query.

Yes, Chrome is available for Ubuntu. Follow the link here -

http://ulyssesonline.com/2009/11/02/install-google-chrome-on-ubuntu-9-10/

Again, I don't think this is a 32bit vs 64bit issue. It must be the way you have installed flash/java on your computer. I have had similar issues in the past, but I have been able to completely remove flash and re-install it again (I must admit that is a painful process though!).

PS: I just noticed you had "upgraded" to 9.10. That is a cause of many issues - I usually like to do a fresh install with any Ubuntu release.

mousestalker
November 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I was able to view and print the site in Chromium. Thank you!

Now I can get my work done exclusively in Linux.

:D