PDA

View Full Version : KDE is no longer software created by the people but the people who create softwares

praveesh
November 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM
See this http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand#

The KDE community has decided to rebrand KDE. The Kde will no longer be the K desktop environment , but just the KDE .
From now onwards , kde will have two meanings : the community who create free softwares and an umbrella brand of all kde applications .

Other changes are :
kde workspace will now be kde plasma-desktop & kde plasma-netbook
kde platform will be the name for the kde technologies used for creating softwares
And finally , what we call kde 4.3 will be the next time KDE software compilation 4.4

what do you all thing about this change ?
I personally dislike the name kde software compilation . It's my personal opinion, though

Note : Before commenting , please see the above link , that explains the fact in details . What I stated above are just what I understood .

chucky chuckaluck
November 25th, 2009, 05:30 PM
what do you all think about this change ?

"wake up! something boring's happening!" - roger ebert

RiceMonster
November 25th, 2009, 05:35 PM
"wake up! something boring's happening!" - roger ebert

I lol'd

Metallion
November 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I think they're going to have a darn hard time trying to stop people from saying KDE 4.4.

praveesh
November 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I think they're going to have a darn hard time trying to stop people from saying KDE 4.4.

yeah . I now remembers the GNU-Linux and linux naming controversy

ZankerH
November 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM

Wait, I thought they're keeping the name "KDE", but it's now just a random three-letter sequence and not an acronym?

yeah . I now remembers the GNU-Linux and linux naming controversy

What you're referring to as GNU-Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, etc...

Roasted
November 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I don't understand - what's the point of this? What is happening besides the name change? Nothing?

Metallion
November 25th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Wait, I thought they're keeping the name "KDE", but it's now just a random three-letter sequence and not an acronym?

The meaning also changed. KDE now means their community and not the software. When referring to the software we should say KDE Software Compilation 4.4 from now on. Want to type that every time when mentioning the DE? :)

ZankerH
November 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM
The meaning also changed. KDE now means their community and not the software. When referring to the software we should say KDE Software Compilation 4.4 from now on. Want to type that every time when mentioning the DE? :)

I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to naming conventions, so yes.

Can't wait for the version 10.04 of the Kubuntu software distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system, hopefully it'll feature better desktop integration with the next version of the KDE Software Compilation. :D

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM

Haha yeah, it almost reminds me of "The artist formerly known as Prince"!!

It's a little silly but whatever... as long as they don't force me to call it KDE Software whatever 4.4 then I don't mind! It's KDE 4.4!

Skripka
November 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Haha yeah, it almost reminds me of "The artist formerly known as Prince"!!

It's a little silly but whatever... as long as they don't force me to call it KDE Software whatever 4.4 then I don't mind! It's KDE 4.4!

Pointless rebrandings are pointless.

Everyone will continue to call KDE "KDE" and refer to the KDE community as the "KDE community".

RiceMonster
November 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as KDE, is in fact, KDE Software Compilation, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, KDE Software Compilation 4.4. KDE is not an Desktop environment unto itself, but people who create software of a fully functioning Software Compilation made useful by the KDE Plasma Desktop, applications and platform comprising a full Software Compilation as defined by Freedesktop.org.

Skripka
November 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as KDE, is in fact, KDE Software Compilation, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, KDE Software Compilation 4.4. KDE is not an Desktop environment unto itself, but people who create software of a fully functioning Software Compilation made useful by the KDE Plasma Desktop, applications and platform comprising a full Software Compilation as defined by Freedesktop.org.

Go back to your corner and get back to using your GNU/XOrg/Nvidia (ATI)/KDE(SC)/GNOME/.../..../Linux as soon as you finish typing your reply that gives credit to everyone involved in the making of your GNU/XOrg/Nvidia (ATI)/KDESC/GNOME/.../..../Linux *nix-like operating system.

saulgoode
November 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM
What? It's not going to be the "KDE Software Kompilation"? :p

KiwiNZ
November 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Or the PC

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM

xD

man this CANNOT bode well for pedantic conversations in the future!

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I said I thought it was a bit silly, I mean (like I said on the news page)...

KDE Platform + Desktop... is KDE. Right?

And KDE + Applications = a "Software Compilation".

Isn't that right?

Oh well, it's all pedantic stuff, I am very happy just calling it KDE 4, just like I'm very happy calling Ubuntu an OS, and referring to GNU/Linux as just "Linux" :)

They roll off the tongue much better! :)

Metallion
November 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM
What? It's not going to be the "KDE Software Kompilation"? :p

Maybe Ed Boon sued them or something.

Chame_Wizard
November 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Just KDE,the Kool Desktop Environment for me .:lolflag:

Tibuda
November 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Or the PC

Why are you talking about PC on a Linux forums? Micro$oft sucks! :lolflag:

praveesh
November 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM
In the kde dot news , they use the SC for software compilation . So I think we don't need to say the lengthy words "software compilation"

Skripka
November 25th, 2009, 08:11 PM
In the kde dot news , they use the SC for software compilation . So I think we don't need to say the lengthy words "software compilation"

3 letter acronyms are still less effort than 5 letter acronyms....especially when the extra letters serve no real point whatsoever.

I honestly do not think distros will go along with this. Changing "KDE" to "KDE-SC" in package names will absolutely wreak HAVOC with depends and 3rd party softwares....even then most users will still call KDE "KDE".

RiceMonster
November 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM
3 letter acronyms are still less effort than 5 letter acronyms....especially when the extra letters serve no real point whatsoever.

I honestly do not think distros will go along with this. Changing "kde" to "kde-sc" in package names will absolutely wreak havoc with depends and 3rd party softwares....even then most users will still call kde "kde".

+1

praveesh
November 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM

No . You can use the term KDE SC

Regenweald
November 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM
The KDE desktop is coming along quite nicely, stable, featurefull etc. Maybe the devs just didn't have **** to do...

lisati
November 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM

People are often lazier thinkers & speakers than they care to admit - it's sometimes easier to spell out an acronym than it is to say the name in full. :)

I am reminded of a couple of banks here in NZ (wich shall remain anonymous for the moment) which have a three letter acronym as part of their name, followed by the word "Bank". The last letter in the acronym is "B", originally standing for "bank". This makes their full name end in "bank bank"!!! Duh!

PuddingKnife
November 25th, 2009, 08:32 PM
People are often lazier thinkers & speakers than they care to admit - it's sometimes easier to spell out an acronym than it is to say the name in full. :)

I am reminded of a couple of banks here in NZ (wich shall remain anonymous for the moment) which have a three letter acronym as part of their name, followed by the word "Bank". The last letter in the acronym is "B", originally standing for "bank". This makes their full name end in "bank bank"!!! Duh!

haha .. like using the "ATM machine" :P

Mr. Picklesworth
November 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hey, bozo, where did you get that name? A bowl of cereal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Bits)?

They could at least make it a recursive acronym.

*ahem*

KDE's Driving Excellence
...or something similarly corny, but slightly less stupid than taking the already arbitrary K and making the DE arbitrary as well.

Or, you know, someone could come up with a real name. Most of the contained software projects have nice names, so why not the platform as a whole?

blur xc
November 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
From Revolution OS- approx 30min mark:

Question: Some people advocate that it be described as GNU/Linux. I mean, what’s your thought on that, is that justified or…?

Linus Torvalds: Well, I think it’s justified but it’s justified if you actually make a GNU distribution of Linux; the same way that I think that Red Hat Linux is fine, or Suse Linux, or Debian Linux because if you actually make your own distribution of Linux you get to name the thing, but calling Linux in general GNU/Linux I think is just ridiculous.

BM

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hey, bozo, where did you get that name? A bowl of cereal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Bits)?

They could at least make it a recursive acronym.

*ahem*

KDE's Driving Excellence
...or something similarly corny, but slightly less stupid than taking the already arbitrary K and making the DE arbitrary as well.

Or, you know, someone could come up with a real name. Most of the contained software projects have nice names, so why not the platform as a whole?

haha yeah it's really obvious that the "DE" does in fact stand for Desktop Environment... like it ALWAYS does! lol

Oh well, as long as they keep up the same quality and speed of development (or increase it!) I am happy :)

(quote goes here!)

BM

haha that's really cool! I wonder what Zanker will say :)

ZankerH
November 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM

BM

Linus is not the naming authority on the operating system. He can call the kernel he founded whatever he wants, but the only naming authority for the GNU/Linux operating system is the Free Software Foundation and its founder, Richard Matthew Stallman. Besides, asking GNU to make it's own distro is absurd, its like telling GNOME or KDE to make their own distributions, it doesn't make sense. Every major distribution that uses the Linux kernel also uses the large majority of everything the GNU project developed, so GNU/Linux is perfectly in order. Linux is the kernel, and GNU represents the userland + the Free Software Foundation, without which we wouldn't even have the Software Freedom philosophy as we know it today.

Simian Man
November 25th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Awesome :).

Frak
November 25th, 2009, 11:00 PM

I think you mean X/BSD/MIT/Apache/Microsoft/Intel/Apple/Novel/RedHat/DoD/Nokia/Samsung/Qt/KDE/Joe Schmoe/John Doe/Jane Doe/GNU/Linux.

Fixed that for ya bro.

ceramicm
November 25th, 2009, 11:09 PM
@Frak

sudo rm -Rf /X/BSD/MIT/Apache/Microsoft/Intel/Apple/Novel/RedHat/DoD/Nokia/Samsung/Qt/KDE/Joe Schmoe/John Doe/Jane Doe/GNU/Linux/OTHER/NAMING/DEVICES

(obligatory disclaimer: do not run commands with sudo rm -Rf unless you know exactly what you are doing. rm is a "remove" command. Think about it.)

It just looks like a file path to me.

Frak
November 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM
@Frak

sudo rm -Rf /X/BSD/MIT/Apache/Microsoft/Intel/Apple/Novel/RedHat/DoD/Nokia/Samsung/Qt/KDE/Joe Schmoe/John Doe/Jane Doe/GNU/Linux/OTHER/NAMING/DEVICES

(obligatory disclaimer: do not run commands with sudo rm -Rf unless you know exactly what you are doing. rm is a "remove" command. Think about it.)
Exactly the reason why I only call it Linux.

If you're going to give credit to GNU, give credit to the other people too. Also, long names sound stupid.

ZankerH
November 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I think you mean X/BSD/MIT/Apache/Microsoft/Intel/Apple/Novel/RedHat/DoD/Nokia/Samsung/Qt/KDE/Joe Schmoe/John Doe/Jane Doe/GNU/Linux.

Fixed that for ya bro.

Again, make your own OS, and call it what you like. The GNU OS project was started long before Linus wrote his first line of code. Without the FSF and the GNU GPL, Linux would be just another obscure unmaintained kernel with a one-man development team. GNU made Linux relevant by making it a part of their OS.

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 11:27 PM

Fixed that for ya bro.

haha yeah I agree (it's cool when we agree on something ^_^ )

I mainly just refer to the whole lot as "Linux" on here because most people on Linux-related forums already understand all this stuff, and just "Linux" is often quicker to say and fits better in sentences!

I don't mind if other people want to call it GNU/Linux or whatever you want though, free country! hehe :)

RiceMonster
November 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Again, make your own OS, and call it what you like. The GNU OS project was started long before Linus wrote his first line of code. Without the FSF and the GNU GPL, Linux would be just another obscure unmaintained kernel with a one-man development team. GNU made Linux relevant by making it a part of their OS.

And without Linux, GNU would have no kernel, and would have gotten nowhere. The HURD doesn't count; I mean a working kernel.

KiwiNZ
November 25th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Can we just drop the naming stuff and move on :rolleyes:

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Can we just drop the naming stuff and move on :rolleyes:

hehe yeah seconded :)

EDIT... although to be fair I think this whole thread was kinda based on naming O.O

ZankerH
November 25th, 2009, 11:33 PM
And without Linux, GNU would have no kernel, and would have gotten nowhere. The HURD doesn't count; I mean a working kernel.

Hence, they the two only got to where they are thanks to each other; hence, GNU/Linux.

SunnyRabbiera
November 25th, 2009, 11:37 PM
So now we call it KDE DE?
What the @$&*(???

ZankerH
November 25th, 2009, 11:39 PM
So now we call it KDE DE?
What the @$&*(???

No, it's "KDE Software Compilation". The abbreviation "KDE SC" has been used in official circles, and appears to be the "official" abbreviation.

SunnyRabbiera
November 25th, 2009, 11:59 PM
No, it's "KDE Software Compilation". The abbreviation "KDE SC" has been used in official circles, and appears to be the "official" abbreviation.

Screw that I will call it KDE, what the heck ever.

adeypoop
November 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM
do you remember when KDE Software Compilation was just called KDE ?

those were the days

Skripka
November 26th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Screw that I will call it KDE, what the heck ever.

We have a winnar.