PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4.4 will be incredible!

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Don't you think? O.O

Quick tiling, window tabbing, probably pinning in the superbar, tons of enhancements... can you imagine how cool Kwin might look?

I just can't wait for this release! Does anyone else know what might be in it?

Hoppi! ^_^

Skripka
November 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.4_Feature_Plan

spoons
November 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I would really like them to give Konqueror some TLC because it's not nearly as good as Firefox.

RiceMonster
November 25th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I'm looking forward to it as well. Looks like they're be tons of new improvements again.

I would really like them to give Konqueror some TLC because it's not nearly as good as Firefox.

Well it looks like they're redoing the bookmark system (which sucks right now), and it also looks like there will be official support for WebKit as well, so I'm hoping this will fix the issues I have with it right now.

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Well it looks like they're redoing the bookmark system (which sucks right now), and it also looks like there will be official support for WebKit as well, so I' hoping this will fix the issues I have with it right now.

Thing is what's the disadvantage of just using Chrome? I mean I know it's based on GTK but that makes little difference once it's running (it's slightly slower to fire up but still much faster than FF)... but isn't it currently the most advanced browser on all platforms?

I guess a superior Konqueror can't hurt though and it would be good to have a solid Qt browser. I hope it fires up as fast as Arora :)

RiceMonster
November 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thing is what's the disadvantage of just using Chrome? I mean I know it's based on GTK but that makes little difference once it's running (it's slightly slower to fire up but still much faster than FF)... but isn't it currently the most advanced browser on all platforms?

Well, that depends on what you mean by advanced. As for disadvantage, the only thing is it's not Qt and there's no KDE integration.

mehaga
November 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm looking forward to it as well. Looks like they're be tons of new improvements again.
Well it looks like they're redoing the bookmark system (which sucks right now), and it also looks like there will be official support for WebKit as well, so I'm hoping this will fix the issues I have with it right now.

What?! New avatar?!

cascade9
November 25th, 2009, 05:37 PM

I cant think of _any_ other open source project with as much spyware as the Chrome browser. Stupid RLZ identifier, etc. I really hope they dont do that, theres enough things I will have to fiddle with on KDE already. Personally, I thought that switching Konqueror from default file manager to web browser was a mistake. Yes, its an easy change, but I've never got why they did it.....

praveesh
November 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM
See the latest oxygen screencast in youtube by Nuno Pinheiro . It's just released now .

I have heard some where that konqueror will be using webkit . KDE SC 4.4 ( Kde software compilation 4.4) will be a great release .

Paqman
November 25th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I cant think of _any_ other open source project with as much spyware as the Chrome browser. Stupid RLZ identifier, etc.

How exactly is the RLZ parameter "spyware"?

NCLI
November 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM
What?! New avatar?!

I didn't even realize that was RiceMonster before you commented on his avatar, I was wondering where he'd gone to...

Is that Mio?

ONTOPIC:
I'm running both Gnome and KDE now. Gotta admit that unless Gnome 3 will be absolutely awesome, I might switch :p

RiceMonster
November 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Is that Mio?

Indeed :).

cascade9
November 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
How exactly is the RLZ parameter "spyware"?

The RLZ parameter contains some encoded information (like when you downloaded Google Chrome and where you got it from).

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=107684

I really don't want google making an install timestamp, where I downloaded it from, and the timestamp for "when certain features were first used" worries me. Also, the RLZ transmission frequency worries me as well, every 24hrs, on every search and when "significant events occur". Thats a little to vauge for my liking.

Thats spying on you. Yes, I admit that it may not be as bad as it could be, but its information I dont want transmitted, and have no option over its transmission.

While google says that the RLZ is only "non-identifying information", if anyone ever did searches while logged into another google serivce, its super-easy for google to connect the dots. If stuff like Client ID or suggest are turned on (as they were by default last time I looked at chrome) then lots of "identifying information" are sent though.

Roasted
November 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Well well... what a crappy place to be in.

Just got hooked on KDE, loving it. But I'm stuck on Jaunty since Karmic hates my computer. Yet the newest KDE to Jaunty is 4.3.2. 4.3.3. isn't backported - which means 4.4 won't be either.

I hope that kernel gets fixed soon. <3

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM
See the latest oxygen screencast in youtube by Nuno Pinheiro . It's just released now .

I have heard some where that konqueror will be using webkit . KDE SC 4.4 ( Kde software compilation 4.4) will be a great release .

lol I am SO not calling it that! It's KDE 4.4! the SC bit is too much to type every time xD

Chame_Wizard
November 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Bug fixes and more stability(too much eyecandy is not good).;)

Paqman
November 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Thats spying on you.

Not really. It's not a unique code to you, there's almost certainly others with the same RLZ.

Do you worry that your ISP tracks your IP? Or that your mobile phone provider knows your location? Use of most technology requires the service provider to track you in some way or another. There's a big difference between that and an actual breach of privacy.

Maybe you don't agree, and won't use Chrome. Fine, that's your choice. But the claim of "spyware" is a little ridiculous IMO, especially when they've gone to great lengths to be very open about what they track and how the information is used.

Changturkey
November 25th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Try RE-Konq if you want a Webkit based browser that looks a lot like Konq.

Islington
November 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM
The blur plugin is delayed until 4.5 :(

other than that, it looks great.

zagz
November 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Try RE-Konq if you want a Webkit based browser that looks a lot like Konq.

But not the one from the repos!

anyway I still think Linux as a whole needs a dedicated browser that works as well as FF in XP.

phrostbyte
November 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
There is also a browser called Arora (apt:arora) which is Webkit based and very fast.

It's interesting to note that Webkit is actually a fork of KHTML which started at the KDE project. :)

zagz
November 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM

What does the plugin do?

MasterNetra
November 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Not touching until there is support for Dell Touch pads and a means to configure/"turn them off" in the GUI. I hate touch pads that much.

praveesh
November 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM

oh I have expected it to be in KDE SC 4.4 . So the 4.5 will be a great release !!!

praveesh
November 25th, 2009, 08:27 PM
lol I am SO not calling it that! It's KDE 4.4! the SC bit is too much to type every time xD

You can call it kde . But, what to do man, the name has changed . Did you check the www.kde.org recently , the reflections of name change exists there too .

Tibuda
November 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Just call it KSC now.

KDE
Software
Compilation

Skripka
November 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Just call it KSC now.

KDE
Software
Compilation

Let me think about that.

No.

HappyFeet
November 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
And they said: wait until 4.1 comes out! Wait until 4.2 comes out! Wait until 4.3 comes out! It never ends. They can add features until they are blue in the face, but kde4 will still be a buggy mess. No thanks.

Chronon
November 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM
In your experience, maybe. KDE 4.3.2 was already quite good in my experience. I don't get plasma crashing on me anymore (which was always just an annoyance, not really a show-stopper). Other than bugs with specific applications, which I have reported, I don't really experience problems with the system these days.

doorknob60
November 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM
And they said: wait until 4.1 comes out! Wait until 4.2 comes out! Wait until 4.3 comes out! It never ends. They can add features until they are blue in the face, but kde4 will still be a buggy mess. No thanks.

Well, IMO, KDE4 has been fairly stable since 4.1, and very stable since 4.2. Now it's just new cool stuff :D

Tipped OuT
November 25th, 2009, 09:01 PM
What does the plugin do?

This:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1097/captureyr.png

Blurs everything behind transparent windows.

Greg
November 25th, 2009, 09:04 PM
But not the one from the repos!

anyway I still think Linux as a whole needs a dedicated browser that works as well as FF in XP.

uzbl will become that :)

Bölvağur
November 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM
This:

omg that is so useless!!

Keyper7
November 25th, 2009, 09:49 PM
omg that is so useless!!

It's very useful... for those who use transparent windows.

Whether transparent windows are useful is a different subject. ;)

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM
This:

it's a shame that's delayed until 4.5, but tbh I'm glad we're getting it at all, it's one of the features of 7 I am jealous of! :)

woah! 4.3 is not buggy! By 4.3.3 it's pretty much solid as a rock! I'm not saying it will be GOOD by 4.4 (it's already the best desktop in the world IMO!)... I am saying it will be incredible! :)

Tipped OuT
November 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
omg that is so useless!!

No it's not.

If you have transparent window borders (or lowered opacity), and you have a lot of windows open, it get's extremely messy and unbearable. Window titles become almost impossible to read, and everything looks cluttered.

Blurring it helps you keep focus on what's going in the window itself. It also helps you read window titles and other content.

No Blur:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3208/capture1c.png

Blur:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/304/capturevm.png

hanzomon4
November 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
A good QT bowser with spellcheck.. please.. Konqueror/khtml does not wok as a webrowser

HappyFeet
November 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM
woah! 4.3 is not buggy! By 4.3.3 it's pretty much solid as a rock!

Maybe for you, but then why does kde have such a bad rep then? All I know, is that every time I try it, I'm let down.

Your experience is not the norm. You are lucky.

Every desktop environment works perfect for me except kde. You do the math. I guess my computer is just kde incompatible then, right? ;)

RiceMonster
November 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Maybe for you, but then why does kde have such a bad rep then? All I know, is that every time I try it, I'm let down.

Every desktop environment works perfect for me except kde. You do the math. I guess my computer is just kde incompatible then, right? ;)

I like how your basis for what is the norm is your own experience.

hoppipolla
November 25th, 2009, 11:30 PM

I have actually been using KDE since... god knows... 2003? Something like that.

Although I'll admit I wasn't really using it from 4.0 to 4.2, as yeah I didn't get on too well with those either, plus at that point in my life (when they were current releases) I was distracted, and then later ran Windows XP for about 6 months to a year! I'm very happy to be back on here now though!! :)

Tipped OuT
November 25th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I have actually been using KDE since... god knows... 2003? Something like that.

Although I'll admit I wasn't really using it from 4.0 to 4.2, as yeah I didn't get on too well with those either, plus at that point in my life (when they were current releases) I was distracted, and then later ran Windows XP for about 6 months to a year! I'm very happy to be back on here now though!! :)

Yeah, I'm dying to get a new laptop and go on KDE. Sick of Windows 7 already. I miss the Air plasma theme, and I miss the Bespin theme engine.

NormanFLinux
November 26th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I'm running KDE 4.3.3 here with no problems. Its available in the Kubuntu backports.

yesitsme
November 26th, 2009, 12:22 AM
kde is for noobs. fact.

NoaHall
November 26th, 2009, 12:24 AM
kde is for noobs. fact.

I'd plus one that, but Hoppi might eat me.

yesitsme
November 26th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I'd plus one that, but Hoppi might eat me.
damned vicious kde users!

ElSlunko
November 26th, 2009, 12:31 AM
It does sound great! After getting myself so familiar with Gnome I think it would be fair to give KDE a try. Sometimes the effort seems futile since I spend most of my time with at least 1 window maximized on each workspace.

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 12:38 AM
kde is for noobs. fact.

yes, in my case a noob that has run flubox and Gnome (and XFCE) for years, compiled his own kernels and software, run many distributions of Linux including more "advanced" distros like Slackware...

and in my m8's case, a KDE "noob" who codes for a living.

Your point is now disproven! lol :D

NoaHall
November 26th, 2009, 12:38 AM
yes, in my case a noob that has run flubox and Gnome (and XFCE) for years, compiled his own kernels and software, run many distributions of Linux including more "advanced" distros like Slackware...

Your point is now moot. lol :D

See, I told you ;)

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 12:41 AM
See, I told you ;)

haha yes, although I changed the word "moot" to "disproven", as I believe if a point is moot it means irrelevant :)

yesitsme
November 26th, 2009, 12:42 AM

Your point is now disproven! lol :D
i think your lying. a kde user would lie to protect there de. and i heard you eat people so u cant be trusted.

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 12:45 AM
i think your lying. a kde user would lie to protect there de. and i heard you eat people so u cant be trusted.

lol! Fair enough :)

I disagree very much though that KDE is for noobs. I have been using Linux 6 years and so has my friend, Linus and Mark Shuttleworth I believe use KDE etc etc, but also KDE is also IMO the most fleshed out, developed, advanced and visually impressive open source DE. I use it because I like this about it, and also because I want a friendly and accessible environment as that saves me time! :)

Giant Speck
November 26th, 2009, 12:58 AM
KDE 4.5 will be incredibler!!!1!

Exodist
November 26th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Don't you think? O.O

Quick tiling, window tabbing, probably pinning in the superbar, tons of enhancements... can you imagine how cool Kwin might look?

I just can't wait for this release! Does anyone else know what might be in it?

Hoppi! ^_^
I looked but didnt see an answer to this. But are they going to make then task bar easy to move items again unlike it is now where everything is forced to move to one side?

Greg
November 26th, 2009, 01:21 AM
KDE 4.5 will be incredibler!!!1!

Nah, the 4 series is getting old. THey need to start looking where they're headed, maybe go with a redesign and get started on the 5 series.

Giant Speck
November 26th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Nah, the 4 series is getting old. THey need to start looking where they're headed, maybe go with a redesign and get started on the 5 series.

Now where have I seen that happen before... :-k

Greg
November 26th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Now where have I seen that happen before... :-k

XFCE- They did the same thing moving to their 3 series.

Giant Speck
November 26th, 2009, 01:44 AM
XFCE- They did the same thing moving to their 3 series.
I see what you did there.

jrusso2
November 26th, 2009, 01:52 AM
kde is for noobs. fact.

Lets see I started using Linux in 1996 before some of you have even heard of it. :)

Then I started using the beta KDE in 1997 or 98 I believe.

So I guess that makes me a noob.

I always thought gnome was for new users since its so basic and simplistic. Most of the gnome users go back because they can't figure out how KDE works.

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I looked but didnt see an answer to this. But are they going to make then task bar easy to move items again unlike it is now where everything is forced to move to one side?

I hope so! To be honest I don't tend to move my panels and stuff around much so I barely notice this problem, but the spacer system is a bit funny I have to admit.

You could always try asking on the KDE Community forums - http://forum.kde.org :)

nrs
November 26th, 2009, 03:17 AM
And they said: wait until 4.1 comes out! Wait until 4.2 comes out! Wait until 4.3 comes out! It never ends.

I'm going to ROFL when GNOME 3 comes out. I doubt many here were around when GNOME made the 1 -> 2 transition, but I was, and it was ***painful***. It didn't really become usable for me until around 2.12. X.0 + some sucks, fact of life. When it first came out, OS X was nothing like the sexy beast it is today, it was slow, it was buggy. It didn't really start kicking *** until around Tiger, IMO. Windows XP was horrible until SP2, Vista was horrible until ..., Windows 7 seems to be the only one I can think of that's not a steaming pile at the moment of release, but that may because I haven't used it enough to get annoyed, and it is a continuation of Vista.

They can add features until they are blue in the face, but kde4 will still be a buggy mess. No thanks.

The KDE community has fixed over 10,000 bugs and implemented almost 2,000 feature requests

KDE4 has been usable since 4.2, but it was 4.3 that got me to switch from GNOME.

praveesh
November 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
This:

Blur , really adds to the beauty of a transparent window .

praveesh
November 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
kde is for noobs. fact.

Kde Is for newbies and advanced users . No other De provide this much configurability , the one which advanced users like .

Pasdar
November 26th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Reasons I use KDE are:
* Its beautiful by default.
* Its customizable to what I like even more.
* It has so many options for so many things in GUI that you never need to open a conf file like on GNOME.
* It's very intuitive... I find it very logical where they place everything.
* Everything is very uniform... everything looks as part of a whole, while its a different program, much like MAC OSX.
* Its really fast, its responsiveness is great. (Though you need a good graphics card to handle all the eye candy... either that or disable the extras).
* When I want a theme for something, I can just click to install the theme... I don't need to unpack it, do something with it, maybe add a reference in some conf file, etc, etc.

I furthermore think that people who think they're "31337" because they're using something which requires so much energy input from themselves to achieve what they like... to be frankly... "stupid". Furthermore, smart people appreciate efficiency. Who knows maybe GNOME 3 will surprise me... and actually be efficient and good...

praveesh
November 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Reasons I use KDE are:
* It has so many options for so many things in GUI that you never need to open a conf file like on GNOME.
* Everything is very uniform... everything looks as part of a whole, while its a different program, much like MAC OSX.
* Its really fast, its responsiveness is great. (Though you need a good graphics card to handle all the eye candy... either that or disable the extras).
* When I want a theme for something, I can just click to install the theme... I don't need to unpack it, do something with it, maybe add a reference in some conf file, etc, etc.

I furthermore think that people who think they're "31337" because they're using something which requires so much energy input from themselves to achieve what they like... to be frankly... "stupid". Furthermore, smart people appreciate efficiency. Who knows maybe GNOME 3 will surprise me... and actually be efficient and good...

The same reason why I use kde , other than the last one . For installing new theme, compiling is needed , in kde . In Gnome , it's not needed .
I too agree that the responsivity of kde applications is great . But for the surprise ,In karmic , kde workspace is slower than Gnome desktop (means kde and Gnome applications runs faster in Gnome than in kde . In jaunty , it was kde that was faster than Gnome ). .

airtonix
November 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM
When I read the original post I felt the walls closing in on me from all sides.

http://www.hypermania.com/images/hypermania_services.jpg

nrs
November 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
For installing new theme, compiling is needed , in kde . In Gnome , it's not needed .
This is wrong. Themes do not need to be compiled in Qt/KDE, theme engines (styles) do. But this is true for GTK+ too. Aurora, Murrine, ... all need to be compiled (most distributions provide binaries), themes for them do not.

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Reasons I use KDE are:

absolutely, I mean I went through the phase where I loved editing config files and spending ages doing everything by hand and in the prompt etc, but after a while you understand that if these things are just thought through and automated at the developers end ONCE, it saves us so much time and hassle individually and makes the DE a pleasure to use. It doesn't get in my way, it does things in a few clicks, and I love it ^_^

KDE4 has been usable since 4.2, but it was 4.3 that got me to switch from GNOME.

Yeah I agree. I don't think I would be anywhere near as enthusiastic about KDE if the current version was still 4.2.x :)

4.3 is the first really special release of 4 I think!

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM
This is wrong. Themes do not need to be compiled in Qt/KDE, theme engines (styles) do. But this is true for GTK+ too. Aurora, Murrine, ... all need to be compiled (most distributions provide binaries), themes for them do not.

Ah but I think in Gnome you can install new standard GTK themes in one click (or drag), and in KDE this isn't possible... am I right?

I mean I still on the whole prefer KDE customizability and theming, as it can be done even without opening a browser in just a few clicks, but I think Qt theming should be easier in future :)

I'm not too worried though, as progress is happening so fast that I'm sure this will be covered!

praveesh
November 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Ok .I agree . But I didn't need to compile any theme engine in Gnome. Everything works when I just drag and drop . May be because the theme engines are already installed . More over , I couldn't find more themes other than the default one for the oxygen theme engine .

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Ok .I agree . But I didn't need to compile any theme engine in Gnome. Everything works when I just drag and drop . May be because the theme engines are already installed . More over , I couldn't find more themes other than the default one for the oxygen theme engine .

you should get a handful... it may be a package you need to install. I have quite a few but Oxygen is the best anyway! heh :)

RiceMonster
November 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM
More over , I couldn't find more themes other than the default one for the oxygen theme engine .

You couldn't find Bespin or QtCurve?

I find with Qt you just install the theme engine, but then there's a nice gui dialog to configure it the way you want, so it's not the same as downloading gtk themes. There's one for color schemes as well. You can find configurations for QtCurve and Bespin on KDE Look as well as color schemes if you don't want to do it yourself.

cguy
November 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM

http://skepacabra.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/facepalm.jpg
You fail! :p

praveesh
November 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
You couldn't find Bespin .

I could . I have bespin installed . My point is , by default(ie with the oxygen theme engine ), more themes(not the theme engine) can't be installed other than the colour schemes

Skripka
November 26th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I could . I have bespin installed . My point is , by default(ie with the oxygen theme engine ), more themes(not the theme engine) can't be installed other than the colour schemes

Huh? There should be at least a few themes in the *buntu repos, or lots over in KDE-look. You're not looking very hard.

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=9

praveesh
November 26th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Huh? There should be at least a few themes in the *buntu repos, or lots over in KDE-look. You're not looking very hard.

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=9

Thanks for the link . But none of them use the oxygen theme engine . They use either bespin or qtcurve

RiceMonster
November 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the link . But none of them use the oxygen theme engine . They use either bespin or qtcurve

Oxygen isn't really configurable. You can basically just change the color scheme and one or two other things.

Alex Libman
November 26th, 2009, 05:18 PM
After being very disappointed with Enlightenment and KDE 4 for many years, I'm not getting my hopes up. I think Chrome OS has the best approach - "Keep It Simple, Stupid". Linux is best with minimal GUI: just a Web and media playback. You need to learn the CLI stuff anyway (ex vim), and once you do there's little benefit to using anything else.

hoppipolla
November 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
After being very disappointed with Enlightenment and KDE 4 for many years, I'm not getting my hopes up. I think Chrome OS has the best approach - "Keep It Simple, Stupid". Linux is best with minimal GUI: just a Web and media playback. You need to learn the CLI stuff anyway (ex vim), and once you do there's little benefit to using anything else.

Linux is just a kernel, how can it be best with any particular GUI?

If you mean the whole open source framework... then my question still stands... how can that be "best" with one particular GUI?

The whole point is that it can be whatever you want it to be :)

I think open source has what it takes to compete with pretty much any kind of OS :)