PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Box

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
So I am sitting here in my girlfriends grad school, graduate center. And I have just installed virtual box on one of the computers. I was wondering if there are any suggestions to what Distro I should download and check out. I use Arch on everything, and have used Ubuntu, CRUX, Fedora.

So something, someone might think is cool to check out would be cool.

So some suggestions?

Thank you,
Grif

~sHyLoCk~
November 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hmm, try slackware and definitely openSUSE. Download the openSUSE Live KDE and test it. I'm sure you will love it.;)

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hmm, try slackware and definitely openSUSE. Download the openSUSE Live KDE and test it. I'm sure you will love it.;)

Funny you mention Slack, I have had the Slackware 13 DVD on my computer at home since it came out and have yet to try it out. I don't know if I'm ready to be doing my own dependency checking.

~sHyLoCk~
November 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Well that's certainly a serious issue. Atleast for me. Even though I use slack in my old pc at home alongwith gentoo, I like to keep it as vanilla as possible. Only use the packages PV provides with the DVDs. Only install security patches when released. Manual Dependency resolution is something I'm scared of as there are some apps I use which have over 10-20dependencies each.

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that's a lot of dependencies. For what I use the computer for I think Slack wouldn't be that hard of a set up, but still. I try to come off as I know some what about Linux, but I just end up using google for every little problem. I guess that does teach you things though, I only need to search it once then I know how to fix it.

I do also have the new Gentoo DVD and haven't tried installing that either. I haven't really had much time, I am so glad that I have a few days off from school for thanksgiving I can get a day to screw around with Linux.

~sHyLoCk~
November 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I don't think you can install the Gentoo 10 DVD on HDD, it's only a Live DVD. AFAIK (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/gentoo-87/gentoo-10.0-live-dvd-758351/).

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I don't think you can install the Gentoo 10 DVD on HDD, it's only a Live DVD. AFAIK (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/gentoo-87/gentoo-10.0-live-dvd-758351/).

Yeah I ran the DVD once and couldn't find an installer. I just stopped looking and didn't feel like doing it terminal way.

Johnsie
November 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I ran Google ChromeOS in it yesterday. Wouldn't recommend that though as it's just a browser and some bookmarks that runs very slowly. Puppy Linux is quite nice and the download is small.

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I ran Google ChromeOS in it yesterday. Wouldn't recommend that though as it's just a browser and some bookmarks that runs very slowly. Puppy Linux is quite nice and the download is small.

Yeah, I've already used Puppy, DSL, TinyCore which doesn't get mentioned very often around here but it is a very nice Distro. Although I probably didn't give Puppy enough chance. So I might do that.

Also, openSUSE is nice, I like the Zypper.

Regenweald
November 25th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Win7 if you can get your hands on a copy or Opensolaris developer snapshot.

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Win7 if you can get your hands on a copy or Opensolaris developer snapshot.

How much different is the retail Windows 7 from the RC? Because I used the RC for a while and loved it.

Firestem4
November 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Download the VMDisk image for Haiku-OS and give that a whirl.

~sHyLoCk~
November 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I forgot to add Mandriva 2010

toupeiro
November 25th, 2009, 06:54 PM
If you wanna try zomething different (/Zima Commercial) give opensolaris a shot.

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Alright openSolaris is next on the list it looks like, downloading the ISO as I type.

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 07:33 PM
So opensolaris seems awesome but it wasn't running well in VBox so FreeBSD is next on my list.

Plumtreed
November 25th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I forgot to add Mandriva 2010

This runs well on VB and is an excellent OS. Worth a try!

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
This runs well on VB and is an excellent OS. Worth a try!

Sounds good I'll have to make it the last one for the day, she only works until 4 30.

Thanks to anyone who made a suggestion.:)

EDIT: Maybe it won't I didn't realize it was a DVD, I don't think it will finish in time, oh well.

autonomy
November 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
terrible thread title btw. (thread isn't about VB; it's about which distro is cool enough to test)

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 10:06 PM
terrible thread title btw. (thread isn't about VB; it's about which distro is cool enough to test)

Sorry?

Flag
November 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Ms-dos !

Regenweald
November 26th, 2009, 09:52 PM
How much different is the retail Windows 7 from the RC? Because I used the RC for a while and loved it.

Sorry about the late response ;) Ironically, I did not use the RC, just Ultimate Final. It's a great release, just finished a build for a friend and had zero driver issues. Automatically found and installed the driver for the HD4200 chipset. Gigabyte wireless pci card, plug'n'play :). Running an Athlon II X3 435 and 3 gigs of ddr3 1333. Very snappy.
May install it for my girlfriend later on her HP pavilion. Vista has been a ******* on it.
I suggest Ultimate if you can foot the bill. Drivers are a non issue.

[/apologies and end of derail]

Grifulkin
November 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Sorry about the late response ;) Ironically, I did not use the RC, just Ultimate Final. It's a great release, just finished a build for a friend and had zero driver issues. Automatically found and installed the driver for the HD4200 chipset. Gigabyte wireless pci card, plug'n'play :). Running an Athlon II X3 435 and 3 gigs of ddr3 1333. Very snappy.
May install it for my girlfriend later on her HP pavilion. Vista has been a ******* on it.
I suggest Ultimate if you can foot the bill. Drivers are a non issue.

[/apologies and end of derail]

Well I know what I had the RC installed that every driver for my computer was found, no problem and it was 64 bit. Nothing was an issue I also installed it on an old laptop and everything was perfect worked right out of the box. So yeah I figured drivers were a non issue, although I don't really have problems with drivers anyway, I can dig around for it if needed doesn't bother me.

Exodist
November 27th, 2009, 06:44 AM
So I am sitting here in my girlfriends grad school, graduate center. And I have just installed virtual box on one of the computers. I was wondering if there are any suggestions to what Distro I should download and check out. I use Arch on everything, and have used Ubuntu, CRUX, Fedora.

So something, someone might think is cool to check out would be cool.

So some suggestions?

Thank you,
Grif
I keep WinXP on my VB, but I run Debian. :-)
You should try Debian 5.0.3 out on it since you run Windows.

Grifulkin
December 21st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Okay so I am reviving this thread, because I am back at my girlfriend Grad School, I am downloading Frugalwar.

Just wondering has anyone here tried Frugalware, and what they think of it?

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM
you installed something on a school's computer? lol?

Grifulkin
December 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM
you installed something on a school's computer? lol?

Yeah almost no security on these computers. I have admin privileges, and so does anyone else that gets on them, and they are all logged in so there are no passwords

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah almost no security on these computers. I have admin privileges, and so does anyone else that gets on them, and they are all logged in so there are no passwords

lol, what a **** school

Grifulkin
December 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Well to be fair they just got the network up and running and no one uses these computers because school has been out of session since before thanksgiving. I'm sure they will restrict it eventually, before the next term starts.

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Well to be fair they just got the network up and running and no one uses these computers because school has been out of session since before thanksgiving. I'm sure they will restrict it eventually, before the next term starts.

by then it's too late. sorry-*** admin(s). nobody in their right mind would deploy any workstations in that state if they knew what they were doing.

alphaniner
December 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM
by then it's too late.

My sentiments exactly.