PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation showing all HD unallocated?

iAge
November 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I am on a HP Pavilion dv4-2049wm and im trying to dual boot linux. Earlier when I went to install it and it showed all the partitions perfectly, but I couldnt make free space, so i remembered that I need to create some free space. I went into Windows 7 and to the Partitioner and shrunk my C drive by 30gb. Then when I went into the ubuntu insatllation again, it showed as Unusable. So I went back in to Windows 7 trying to figure it out. Tried formatting the unallocated space and it gave me an error. Figures...

Then I tried installing Norton Partioner and that has compatibility issues with Vista and 7. That wouldn't open. Then i downloaded GParted to try and make some space using that but that showed my entire drive as unallocated. I had thought that me trying to format the unallocated space deleted windows from my laptop completely. It didnt. So i went into the installation again and now thats showing all as unallocated.

Now I cant even find the unusable partiton. I used recovery to recovery windows 7 to the way it was. And now its installing all the drivers, idk if it will fix the partitions or not.

I know exactly what I have to do but that would require me to format the entire HD, then install a pirated copy of windows 7 install of the HP version installed, and create the partitions from there without the HP partitions. But I would like this laptop to be clean and use the OS it came with.

One thing I noticed when I extended my C drive back the 30gb is that the HP TOOLS partition disappeared. Idk how that happened. But i didnt erase that at all. Maybe they were in the unallocated space but idk if thats possible.

I would just like to create a partition so I can install ubuntu. Nothing is working for me... Any help? Ill be grateful :D

Pumalite
November 25th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Use Gparted Live CD
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-testing/

iAge
November 25th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I used GParted live CD. Shows unallocated.

darkod
November 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM
So what it the current situation, after the recovery? You used recovery of Win7 right?
As for the HP tools partition being gone, don't worry unless you were using them. Those partitions only create confusion with dual booting, lots of threads here about it. If you can live without that partition, that's way much better anyway.

I am not sure but I think there are copies of Win7 you can download and use with your key, and that to be legal since you already had purchased license. Again, that's much better than using recovery dvds or partitions.

Pumalite
November 25th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Post a Picture of Gparted