PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CUDA for Server?

njparton
November 25th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I have a homemade NAS device that runs Ubuntu Server.

It runs Boinc-client when it's on and I can sucessfully manage it from Boinc Manager in Windows.

I currently don't have a desktop installed, the NAS is command line only.

I've got a GeForce 260 card lying around that I'd like to stick in the NAS to make available to Boinc via CUDA.

My questions are:

1. do I need to install both gnome desktop and latest nivdia display drivers to get this to work or are there other CUDA packages I can install to avoid this?

2. If I do need to install gnome and nvidia drivers, once I've done this can I close down gnome/gdm to save resources and will this impact on CUDA/Boinc? Boinc client currently runs fine from just the command line. i.e. for CUDA do I need to keep gnome running?

Thanks in advance for responses :D

Xyro
November 26th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I am new to CUDA, but I don't see why you would need to install GDM. You'll need the latest nVidia drivers ( > 190 I think...). I think you'll need to do create the nVidia devices (in /dev/), since you don't have X11. I believe this is explained in the instructions from nVidia (just from the reading I've done, not from experience).

I see that BOINC incorporates CUDA enabled devices, I'd say give it a try and report findings!

njparton
November 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks for that. Which nvidia instructions are you referring to?