PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Problems with karmic install on old PC

ICB
November 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hi all,

Last night I installed xubuntu karmic on son's old P3 666mhz, 768MB, 2x10GB (root on hda, 2GB swap and 8GB home on hdb, hope this is sensible)

It took forever, I think the CD drive is probably a bit mucky

Anyway, this morning it had all worked and we booted into karmic from HDD no problem.

However, the system isn't seeing the CD drive, eth0 or wireless which leaves me a bit stuck really. I've read on another thread that the installer kernel uses different CD access from the installed system and that disabling ACPI might help so I'll try that when I get home.

Any other comments or suggestions in the meantime would be gratefully received.

Also, what packages and upgrades should I look to apt-get given that this will primarily be a games PC (web based and some ubuntu installed ones)?

Thanks,

Paul (ICB)

phillw
November 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM
You may want to have a look at the netbook remix http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr

Ubuntu for laptops, basically. A review of it can be found here --> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6893/1/

If you are having issues with things like cdrom access, if you post back, I'll be more than happy to go and dig out why you are having a problem - Just drop me a message.

Welcome to Ubuntu !!

Regards,

Phill.

ICB
November 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi Phill,

Thanks for your reply. Disabling ACPI didn't work unfortunately.

If possible I'd like to get this distro working as it should be fairly suitable for the lads' requirements and they've got an SXGA monitor so don't really need the streamlined desktop of a netbook setup. Also I would guess that it would have the same issues with the CD and network devices unless there's something different about UNR in this regard?

I'm not a Linux-head but work in IT and have had positive experiences with Gutsy, Hardy and Intrepid on various systems in the past, although a recent upgrade to Karmic on an atom PC caused the widely documented X freezes until I disabled compiz.

Anyway, all ideas and suggestions gratefully received. The system isn't bootable from USB but hopefully will mount USB drives so I could use that to get necessary packages installed.

Cheers,

Paul