PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing over windows 7?

Sentience
November 25th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I have seen this topic come up a few times, but I am a noob and need somebody to spell it out for me in simple baby steps and even tell me where everything is.

I just got a laptop, an Aspire because it was cheap for the specs. It came with windows 7 installed on it, which I have no experience with. Normally to install Ubuntu I would just pop in the disk and restart. Now it just ignores the disk entirely and I cant install. I dont know how to get this started.

I have nothing of value on my windows 7 yet, so I dont care about doing anything "safely" or worry about losing data. I just want a quick and easy way to get Ubuntu onto my computer on a daul partition.

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 08:30 AM
sounds like you need to change the option in the bios to boot from cd/dvd first instead of HD. The info will be on acers website if you dont know how.

Sentience
November 25th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Windows is going to destroy Ubuntu if someone doesnt make a more user friendly way to install the operating system over windows 7. Did they do that purposefully just to destroy the competition? If so, what is your response going to be?

Edit: So this isnt normal? I have no idea how to change the bios. I have never changed anything on the bios before. Is this a question for the acer forums?

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
yes it is, this is a bios, not ubuntu problem, it is very user friendly. They change this option so that you don't remove windows. They don't want it to be easy to subvert microsoft!

Sentience
November 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I love Ubuntu, but the "its not our fault" isnt a satisfactory response to the problem. You have to accept the obstacles they throw at you and find a solution for the problems they cause, even if its not your fault, or its not really user friendly.

Acer wont help either. This is what they had to say.

"Installation of additional operating systems may interfere with the recovery media and methods used to restore a system to factory defaults.
We are unable to support installation of additional operating systems that do not ship on a system.

We are unable to provide information or instructions on how to set up a dual boot system."

So I cant get any help from Acer. I need someone to tell me how to change the bios so I can boot from disk. This is not very user friendly from my perspective.

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 08:45 AM
give me a second!

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
press f2 as the computer first boots then change the default boot order to cd/dvd first. "this is'nt the exact option because i dont have that notebook, so it will only be similar, if you can't figure it out from there then don't blame ubuntu, blame yourself for lack of PC experience. It isn't ubuntu's fault that acer sets their bios this way!

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I love Ubuntu, but the "its not our fault" isnt a satisfactory response to the problem. You have to accept the obstacles they throw at you and find a solution for the problems they cause, even if its not your fault, or its not really user friendly.

Acer wont help either. This is what they had to say.

"Installation of additional operating systems may interfere with the recovery media and methods used to restore a system to factory defaults.
We are unable to support installation of additional operating systems that do not ship on a system.

We are unable to provide information or instructions on how to set up a dual boot system."

So I cant get any help from Acer. I need someone to tell me how to change the bios so I can boot from disk. This is not very user friendly from my perspective.

oh and i don't personally care about satisfactory because you are being rude in blaming ubuntu or any linux for acer's problem, and we are all volunteers who are trying to help. So -5 for bad attitude.

Sentience
November 25th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Sorry. It really isnt your fault, but I still think that you need a tactical response to Windows ******* up the bios. Everything you do is awesome and I appreciate the help. Im just trying to offer some constructive criticism in that the linux market will shrink if its this difficult for everyone, which is just what Microsoft wants.

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM
so did you get it, hit f2 at boot? It is also a security thing so people dont accidently overwrite their OS by sticking a cd/dvd in.

Sentience
November 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I happen to be in a lot of pain today, even with the morphine and *********. Maybe Im grumpy and got a little too into my rant.

Anyway, that was really easy thanks. Linux has generally been associated with computer geeks but Ubuntu has been sold as the version of linux for the masses. There are a lot people out there who are just not tech savvy and just want an alternative to windows because its free or because they dont like microsoft. I bet a lot of people just gave up after Ubuntu didnt boot from CD. Not the tech savvy people, but the regular joes who just want to surf the net and download music without all the spyware.

Thanks for your help though. I reset the bios and hopefully wont be back here until after its installed.

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Great, I am glad to hear it was that easy. For future reference, don't ask in the acer forums or any other official manufacturer forum about dual booting. Simply ask how to get into the bios. Cheers and I hope you have a great experience with linux!

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I am going to quit on a good note, I am going to bed. cheers again.

wilee-nilee
November 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
press f2 as the computer first boots then change the default boot order to cd/dvd first. "this is'nt the exact option because i dont have that notebook, so it will only be similar, if you can't figure it out from there then don't blame ubuntu, blame yourself for lack of PC experience. It isn't ubuntu's fault that acer sets their bios this way!

F2 is great the best thing to due is activate the f12 function in bios of choose your boot from per session.

Sentience
November 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah, Im a noob. Sorry again for the rant. I am cheered up now.

For future reference to aspire users, it wasnt the CD boot that had to be moved to the top of load order but the DVDRAM with some other letters in there. I had to access it through F12 after enabling F12 from F2.

Sorry for being a ****.

Ubuntu is running just amazing on my new hardware. Windows 7 ran about as well as my old laptop did when it was new, but Ubuntu is just crazy fast by comparison, at least for me.

Ill aim for a better drug ratio next time I post to balance functionality with mood enhancement. Its working just great now. I was getting frustrated for a minute. haha.

wilee-nilee
November 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I think as another poster suggested locking or making it a knowable access of the bios is a good idea so a person just has to know how to get to it to set up the per-session booting that is really about a geeked you need to get to run Ubuntu.