PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gave up

stp1974
November 25th, 2009, 07:45 AM
hi everyone.

i installed a fresh copy of ubuntu 9.1 earlier today and seemed to have nothing but trouble. i am a fresh linux user as of this morning, right off the windows train.

i followed someones advice and installed the version 9.04. it seems to run so much better than 9.1. seems faster... wireless is not locking up on me all the time like 9.1. wireless is much more stable on 9.04 (at least it seems that way)

anyone else go back to 9.04?? anyone having some of the same trouble??

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 07:57 AM
a lot have gone back, As a rule of thumb I always tell new users not to use .10 versions. They should call .10 versions .bug versions or .testing instead of the numbers. >04 versions should be called wrather stable unless its a LTS like 8.04 which is very stable.

dddanmar
November 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Depends on the machine. My desktop at home runs 9.10 OK and I'm happy with it.

Not being able to do things like install courier-mta from apt without everything falling over forces me to go back to 9.04 when required. Updated its still a robust system, and I find just a little more stable then 9.10.

Having said that, 9.10 comes with some definite pluses as well, mainly in booting and service management. What we need to look at is the first of the 10.++ releases and pray.

openuniverse
November 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM

jacobs444
November 25th, 2009, 08:59 AM
i have had exactly the opposite experience. So i guess one of us is the bizarro of the other, lol

night-wing
November 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM
My experiences ... till karmic came... were, that .10 - Versions werde better for me and supported my hardware more. But then came karmic...
...and this version shouldn't be called karmic koala, but karmic torture...
Now I wonder, what I did from in my life before to get such karma(ic) :(