PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Boot Issues!

BT1
November 25th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Alright, this has been happening a lot since I erased my HDs and installed Ubuntu 9.10 when it first came out.

This is what happens when I start up my computer.

1st Try
*Power Button...
*Bios does its thing...
*Boot menu loads up and 10 second timer counts down...
*I hit enter to bypass the 10 second timer, selecting the only Linux install on the HD...
*Small white underscore blinks at top left, and nothing loads until I restart...

2nd Try
*Power Button...
*Bios does its thing...
*I hit enter to bypass the 10 second timer, selecting the only Linux install on the HD...
*Small white underscore blinks at top left, and nothing loads until I restart...

3rd Try
*Power Button...
*Bios does its thing...
*It actually loads Ubuntu splash screen and system loads as normal.

Why does it keep doing this? I use laptops a lot and this is really annoying. I did the Update Manager and updated the boot program (I guess, I saw one install in any case.) This continues to be a regular occurrence! Except it's random. Sometimes it takes 1 restart to work, sometimes it takes 5. I did a SMART check on the HD and it is healthy. I did a memory test, and it is healthy.

Please help!

Miljet
November 25th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Not sure what the problem might be, but I will offer this comment to bump this back to the top.

It is my understanding that if you only have one operating system installed, you should not even be seeing the boot menu and count down at all. It is hidden unless you have a dual boot. Possibly something wrong with your Grub2 install.