PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Radeon 9550 and Ubuntu 9.10 Mozilla Issues

kad3t
November 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Hey!

I've encountered an unussual problem. My mother's computer which I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on (as it's much swifter than WinXP that she had there already) is having a serious issue with flash based website like youtube.com. I've tried various flash plugins including those that come with Ubuntu itself (both included in Restricted Extras and the seprate one) and the latest one downloaded from the Adobe website. However when browsing those pages computer suffers severe lags with displaying video &/or scrolling in the window itself. Initialy I belived that it may be a flash plugin issue but it seems the problem's somewhere deeper there. Especially that I am using very same plugin on my Ubuntu install and it works like a charm and I've already confirmed that it's not the hardware issue as it runs youtube video (her PC) beautifully on Win XP partition. The obvious choice then would be the graphic card drivers. However the Hardware drivers menu item under the System/Administration menu shows no restricted drivers at all and the one that I downloaded from ATI/AMD www and tried installing according to one of the instructions found on this forum it did not work either. So, does anyone have any idea how to enable restricted graphic drivers under the hardware drivers menu item?

The PC's pretty old but my mother needs it for no more than text editiong and web browsing which is highly based on her youtube habbits, but the specs seem good enough for that under XP so it shoould also be fine under Ubuntu right? Anyway it's an Athlon 64 2800+ with 1.5GB RAM & ATI Radeon 9550. The Linux Kernel's 2.6.31-15-generic if it changes anything...

So, thanks in advance even if for nothing more than reading through all this. ^__^