PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend Ubuntu software you have to pay for?

bob-linux-user
November 24th, 2009, 11:59 PM
This might look like a slightly weird question but here is the logic: Christmas coming up. If I say to a relative, "For my present please can you download a copy of ******.deb ?" they would think it a bit odd if it was something that was free (as in money) and I could download myself.

What do people recommend please? Only rules are you have to pay for it.

staf0048
November 25th, 2009, 12:01 AM
World of Goo

Very fun!!!

staf0048
November 25th, 2009, 12:10 AM
You could also try any or all of these games.

http://grubbygames.com/

rgrashel
November 25th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Codeweavers Crossover Office. And if you don't already own it, then Microsoft Office 2007. Word and Excel seem to work really well.

3rdalbum
November 25th, 2009, 03:29 AM
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/

You can get demo versions of some of the games so you can see if you like them or not.

gatorbrit
November 25th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Crossover office is pretty nice. I think it is worth it, and the $$ goes to a good cause - further development of wine.

overdrank
November 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Moved to The Community Cafe

Mr. Devil
November 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
The only piece of software I would be ready to pay for is Kaspersky (http://www.kaspersky.com/anti-virus_linux_workstation).

handy
November 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I agree with the previous post; Codeweavers Crossover Office/Games is cheap, very effective in its ever growing range, &, supporting Codeweavers is the best way to support Wine, as the prime Wine guys work for Codeweavers.

The other proprietary software that I use is NeroLinux, because it doesn't fail me when I do big burn runs (10 + DVDs at a time), & the others do.

Tibuda
November 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Nero

marshmallow1304
November 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM
+1 to World of Goo (http://www.worldofgoo.com/)

A prime account for Savage 2 (http://www.savage2.com/en/main.php) (a regular account is free).

Anything with a platinum rating the wine database (http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php).

Bölvağur
November 25th, 2009, 09:30 PM
enemy territory : quake wars
avid
bibble

MiCK.ca
November 25th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I vote NeroLinux4 and crossover office. 2 awesome programs. And nero has never let me down, even with a dual-layered disc.

Rackstar
November 25th, 2009, 10:56 PM
bibble

+1

Ylon
November 25th, 2009, 11:33 PM
World of Goo
Nero Linux 4

Both cheap and very well programmed for Linux.

Tipped OuT
November 25th, 2009, 11:35 PM
The only piece of software I would be ready to pay for is Kaspersky (http://www.kaspersky.com/anti-virus_linux_workstation).

Which would be almost pointless in Linux. Unless you have a server.

Mr. Devil
November 25th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Which would be almost pointless in Linux. Unless you have a server.

I'll better have that pointless ( just quoting ) anti virus software than some even more pointless game or a virtual bible.

Ylon
November 25th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I'll better have that pointless ( just quoting ) anti virus software than some even more pointless game or a virtual bible.

pst... (http://bibblelabs.com/) :popcorn:

Anyway, there's no urgency of antivirus for Linux. But say that linux is virus (or other treat) free.. is simply an unfair lie.

ElSlunko
November 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I'd "vote with dollars" towards the gaming industry. So purchasing a game with a publisher that provides a linux client would be what I would ask for.

meho_r
November 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM
world of goo
nero linux 4

both cheap and very well programmed for linux.

+1

Kdar
November 26th, 2009, 12:11 AM

well, apparently, people are buying those virtual bibles. :p
I want one too!!!
Linux + Bible = :popcorn:

sudoer541
November 26th, 2009, 12:14 AM
World of Goo
Nero Linux 4

Both cheap and very well programmed for Linux.

nero has an ugly UI and less features than the windows version. I will send nero an email complaining for the lack of features and UI design.
however nero is the best CD burning app I've ever used!

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM
nero has an ugly UI and less features than the windows version. I will send nero an email complaining for the lack of features and UI design.

It's also cheaper than the windows version.

+1 for nerolinux and world of goo.

Tibuda
November 26th, 2009, 12:19 AM

It got all features I need. The interface could be simpler indeed.

Praxicoide
November 26th, 2009, 12:21 AM
You can buy codecs from Canonical. Not much point besides supporting Ubuntu.

NoaHall
November 26th, 2009, 12:23 AM
It got all features I need. The interface could be simpler indeed.

Hm, I've got it. Since all GNU/Linux users are CLI-pros, why not make it a completely CLI interface, and then let them guess the switches, and remove tab-completing!

Mr. Devil
November 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
well, apparently, people are buying those virtual bibles. :p
I want one too!!!
Linux + Bible = :popcorn:
Hmm :-k I'm a realist - Linux isn't my wife .. it's just an OS that holds my business ( profit doesn't matter ) and all the serious stuff is being made on Windows ( I'm a web designer and Photoshop is one of the applications I can't afford to replace with something cheaper ).
Anyway, I took a look at this so called bibble ( honestly, I misspelled it first time ) and it's definitely not what I need at the moment, not to mention that I don't pay for things I know I'll never ( at least not in the nearest feature ) use :)

No offense to anybodies suggestions so .. cheers.

poebae
November 26th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Hmmm, for those who recommend purchasing Nero Linux, may I ask what features it has that set it apart from free/open source burning software? Personally K3B is the best burning software I've used, and I wouldn't dream of ever paying for a proprietary alternative.

koleoptero
November 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Hmmm, for those who recommend purchasing Nero Linux, may I ask what features it has that set it apart from free/open source burning software? Personally K3B is the best burning software I've used, and I wouldn't dream of ever paying for a proprietary alternative.

I use k3b too. But I didn't know what else to suggest that may be worth the money. lol

BTW instead of buying software (which will hardly help ubuntu in particular) you could ask for a gift from the ubuntu store, like those wonderful messenger bags.

Kdar
November 26th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Hmm :-k I'm a realist - Linux isn't my wife .. it's just an OS that holds my business ( profit doesn't matter ) and all the serious stuff is being made on Windows ( I'm a web designer and Photoshop is one of the applications I can't afford to replace with something cheaper ).
Anyway, I took a look at this so called bibble ( honestly, I misspelled it first time ) and it's definitely not what I need at the moment, not to mention that I don't pay for things I know I'll never ( at least not in the nearest feature ) use :)

No offense to anybodies suggestions so .. cheers.

just was a bit sarcastic :)

LinuxFanBoi
November 26th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Mathematica, if you need that sort of thing.

handy
November 26th, 2009, 03:54 AM

Under various distros, on my hardware I get problems when doing large numbers of burns, (10+ consecutively) with everything except NeroLinux.

I have no problems doing lots of burns using Roxio Toast on OS X. I also had no problems on the AMD machine when I ran windows, (up until I quit windows 4 years ago) burning large numbers of disks with Nero.

I would prefer to use a FOSS solution, but I'll wait sometime before I test them out again, as it costs me to find out later that even with verify on, there are errors to be found later...

For anyone interested; I use both Pioneer & Sony burners, both machines have powerful CPUs (AMD & Intel) & 2GB & 1GB of RAM.

I'm also using NeroLinux 3.5.3.1, & have no desire to move on to the newish version 4.*, as the version I have does far more than I need, & it does it in an error free fashion.

I'm sure that K3b is perfectly suited to people that won't have it burning for hours at a time. I would recommend it to them over NeroLinux.

toupeiro
November 26th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Early on I paid for Cedega, but not anymore (basically because wine got good enough on its own for gaming without it.)

Ylon
November 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Double buffer, good match with close standard in the burner hardware, it recognize speed of the media you'd insert (I mean... the disc), it made all by it's own (do not use external dependencies made by "external" programmer... what's inside nero stay all in nero) and many other "little things" plus...

the wonderful multisession disc: fully compatible with anything and zero problem.

K3B is very well programmed
Nero is sort of software (like PS) that are well engineered.