PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer hangs on black screen after 9.10 upgrade

Linux_rookie
November 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I had been running Ubuntu 9.04 on a Dell desktop for a few months now. The other night, against my better judgement, I hit the "upgrade to 9.10" button. It upgraded fine, and I used it for a while after the upgrade, then shut it down and went to bed.

When I tried to start it up Saturday, it would boot through the Dell screen, a couple of the test screens, then the monitor cycles off and then back on. When the monitor comes on again however, the screen is blank and that is where the process ends.

I burnt a new 9.10 disk last night, and I got it to start running off the disk, but it still will not start off the hard drive.

Any ideas? Will I have to do a complete reinstall?

At my whits end with a dead computer. PLEASE HELP! :confused:

Linux_rookie
March 21st, 2010, 06:45 AM
I installed Ubuntu 9.10. Installation went fine, but after the first hard reboot, you just get a blank screen when you try to start it. I re-installed 9.04, worked fine.

Fast forward a couple of months, I had a hard drive problem so I have to re-install again. A friend tells me that Xubuntu is a lighter version, and might work better on my older computer. Installed Xubuntu 9.10, same results as I had with Ubuntu.

Both times, the desktop would come up after installation, and would work fine. Then the computer was shut off, and when it re-started all I get is blank screens.

Kinda at a loss, not sure what to do, but I have NOT had good luck with v9.10.