PDA

View Full Version : I can watch flash video, 720p, encode and multitask!!!

lovinglinux
November 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
After a long time trying to watch flash videos or multitask and suffering with my CPU being used 100%, I finally upgraded my Pentium 4 3.06 GHz to a Core 2 Duo 7500 2.9Ghz. It's working soooo good now. Flash videos takes only 20% of the CPU and I can even run some pretty heavy stuff in the background while watching. I can watch 720p and encode a 40 minutes video in less than 6 minutes. Woohoo!!!

I'm so happy :)

I must withdraw some of my comments bashing Adobe recently :oops:

Next step is to try Ubuntu 64bit. Should I try it?

NovaAesa
November 24th, 2009, 10:22 PM
64 bit will speed things up slightly if you are doing things such as encoding/transcoding etc. I have a core 2 duo as well, they are pretty nice =]

lovinglinux
November 24th, 2009, 10:27 PM
64 bit will speed things up slightly if you are doing things such as encoding/transcoding etc. I have a core 2 duo as well, they are pretty nice =]

Does it worth the trouble of reinstalling?

Arthur_D
November 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'd say for most users, no. When Lucid Lynx comes out you should make the jump though. ;)

lovinglinux
November 24th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'd say for most users, no. When Lucid Lynx comes out you should make the jump though. ;)

Thanks. I have a separate partition for Betas. I will use it for testing Karmic 64Bit and getting used to it, until Lucid comes out.

BTW, my Firefox is now scoring twice as much points in the Peacekeeper benchmark and it's not even compiled with PGO or processor optimization flags. It's a vanilla Firefox. Hehehe...

Exodist
November 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Wait for next release.

Keyper7
November 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM
If you are the type of user who doesn't customize that much, your hardware works without tweaking and you have a fast connection, then backupping your home folder and reinstalling the system would take half a day tops, depending on how many softwares you need to install afterwards.

So if you happen to have, I don't know, a light illness that forces you into bed for one day, why not? ;)

sdowney717
November 24th, 2009, 11:03 PM
i upped as well, 3.5ghz core2 duo 4gb pci-e x16 nvidia card 8600 and flash works fine, full screen.
People who have flash trouble are likely running older hardware. My old system lacked the power to easily switch back off full screen. Better hardware is making up what is lacking in coding.

ZankerH
November 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
If you are the type of user who doesn't customize that much, your hardware works without tweaking and you have a fast connection, then backupping your home folder and reinstalling the system would take half a day tops, depending on how many softwares you need to install afterwards.

So if you happen to have, I don't know, a light illness that forces you into bed for one day, why not? ;)

Half a day? If you back up your stuff properly, it can take precisely the amount of time it takes to install ubuntu plus the time it takes to download and install all the software you had installed before. In my case, less than an hour.

Re-installing an OS used to be a stressful activity. It can be made quick and painless if you have proper archival and backup procedures.

tom66
November 24th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I can watch 1080p on a Celeron 3.06 GHz. With Intel 915G graphics. At 90% utilization. The secret is to use a good media player as VLC will not do the job. I used SMPlayer. When I get a better graphics card, with PureVideo, the usage should drop to 5%-10%.

lovinglinux
November 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Half a day? If you back up your stuff properly, it can take precisely the amount of time it takes to install ubuntu plus the time it takes to download and install all the software you had installed before. In my case, less than an hour.

Re-installing an OS used to be a stressful activity. It can be made quick and painless if you have proper archival and backup procedures.

Yep, I have a separate home, separate data partitions and even developed a Firefox extension to save dpkg markings. So, installing wouldn't be much trouble, what I'm worried is that this is my first experience with 64bit and the first time I use KDE, so I don't know what to expect in terms of compatibility or bugs. How does the repositories handle a 64bit installation? Does it install other applications specifically for 64 bit or do I need to look for PPA repositories or deb files? I don't even know if there are many 64bit applications for Ubuntu or if it just runs 32bit versions of most apps.

NoaHall
November 24th, 2009, 11:55 PM
The 64 bit repos are the same as the 32 bit repos, but they use 64 bit package versions. There's usually a 64 bit package for every 32 bit package, and if there isn't for some obscure app, it's very easy to install the 32 bit version.

lovinglinux
November 25th, 2009, 12:05 AM
The 64 bit repos are the same as the 32 bit repos, but they use 64 bit package versions. There's usually a 64 bit package for every 32 bit package, and if there isn't for some obscure app, it's very easy to install the 32 bit version.

Thanks.

phrostbyte
November 25th, 2009, 12:28 AM
The Flash package is significantly different though (since there is no stable 64-bit Flash), it installs 32-bit and interfaces via nspluginwrapper. You can install the alpha 64-bit plugin, it's probably more stable ironically.

NoaHall
November 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
The Flash package is significantly different though (since there is no stable 64-bit Flash), it installs 32-bit and interfaces via nspluginwrapper. You can install the alpha 64-bit plugin, it's probably more stable ironically.

It IS more stable, and it IS better. A lot.

lovinglinux
November 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM

It seems the 10.1 version is pretty good. I'm not sure if it needs the nspluginwrapper tho.

sloggerkhan
November 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
After a long time trying to watch flash videos or multitask and suffering with my CPU being used 100%, I finally upgraded my Pentium 4 3.06 GHz to a Core 2 Duo 7500 2.9Ghz. It's working soooo good now. Flash videos takes only 20% of the CPU and I can even run some pretty heavy stuff in the background while watching. I can watch 720p and encode a 40 minutes video in less than 6 minutes. Woohoo!!!

I'm so happy :)

I must withdraw some of my comments bashing Adobe recently :oops:

Next step is to try Ubuntu 64bit. Should I try it?

No, you should still bash Adobe. When playing back 720P on a 1.6 ghz atom is should be perfectly possible and flash fails at it they have issues.

The Real Dave
November 25th, 2009, 01:03 AM
My 3Ghz PIV is serving me well :) Can watch fullscreen regular def video while idling some flash games, Folding@Home, not to mention running Gnome and Compiz, on a terrible integrated chip, which the CPU has to make up for. I wanted to upgrade to a dual core Pentium, but unfortunatly, not possible with my mobo :( :(