PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash video

bibleguy125
November 24th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I can't get flash videos to work on ubuntu. Is it because I booted off the CD, or is there something else I'm missing?

snowpine
November 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Ubuntu does not ship with the Flash codec for legal reasons.

Open a terminal (under Applications->Accessories) and copy & paste the following:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Good luck!

bibleguy125
November 24th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Okay I did that and the last line in the terminal says E: Couldn't find package flashplugin-installer

snowpine
November 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Are you running Ubuntu 9.10? Are you connected to the internet?

McFarley
November 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Which version of Ubuntu, and 32 or 64 bit?

bibleguy125
November 24th, 2009, 06:30 PM
yeah it's ubuntu 9.10 and i'm connected to the internet
The only thing I can think of is if it wouldn't do that from booting straight off the CD, but I don't know if that's the case or not

snowpine
November 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Try:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

That is the package name for older versions, but I think it might still work for 9.10.

If not, cut and paste the output here (not just the last line).

Cheesemill
November 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Copy and paste this into a terminal:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && sudo apt-get -q update && sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get -q update && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Ubuntu won't find the package flashplugin-installer until you add the medibuntu repository, see the following link for more information:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

julianb
November 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Maybe it's just me, but here is how I'm interpreting this thread:

Bibleguy says: "i booted off of a CD and flash doesn't work"

everybody responds... "use this process to install flash" but IGNORES the fact that you can't install new software on to a liveCD.
=========================
Bibleguy - if you install Ubuntu to your hard drive, you will be able to install new software. And flash videos won't work unless you install a flash player.

Am I missing something?

If you want a less-permanent install of Ubuntu, you can try using ubuntu through "Wubi", which sometimes does not work as well as the regular Ubuntu, but is also very easy to delete, if you want a short term temporary install of Ubuntu.

Cheesemill
November 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
You can install software on a Live CD, it just wont be there after you restart.

snowpine
November 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Maybe it's just me, but here is how I'm interpreting this thread:

Bibleguy says: "i booted off of a CD and flash doesn't work"

everybody responds... "use this process to install flash" but IGNORES the fact that you can't install new software on to a liveCD.
=========================
Bibleguy - if you install Ubuntu to your hard drive, you will be able to install new software. And flash videos won't work unless you install a flash player.

Am I missing something?

I think you can install anything you want in a Live CD session (so long as you have enough RAM).

bibleguy125
November 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys. Snowpine, the older version worked, so I'm not sure what the problem was with the new version.
I do plan to install ubuntu on my harddrive at some point, but wanted to get it figured out first and maybe try some other versions of linux first and see what they are like too before I commit, which is why I'm just using the Live CD for now. Thanks again guys.