PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot save screen resolution configuration (ubuntu 9.10)

y10linux
November 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to ubuntu 9.10 and have a small problem.

Every time I start the computer, screen resolution is set to 800x600.

I can change screen resolution by doing the following:

1) system ->preferences->display

A message appears saying that

It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?2) I answer yes (by the way, I have an nvidia gforce gtx card with its proprietary driver correctly installed) and then I can change screen configuration using "nvidia xserver settings"

3) The screen resolution changes correctly but when I try to save the changes I made in

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

I get the following message

Unable to remove old X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'.I thought this might have to do with me not having permission and tried to "sudo" the whole process. I opened a terminal, erased the old backup file, changed the name of the current file to .backup and then created a new file with the new configuration ("nvidia xserver settings" allows you to preview it).

Unfortunately, once I restart the computer the screen is wrong again. More specifically, the resolution looks correct untill I enter my user name and password, and then it changes to 800x600.

Edit: I also tried this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1321327

I followed the instructions with just a "minor" problem, after :

cd /etc/X11 && sudo mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup && sudo nvidia-xconfig

I got this output:

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.

New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Here I got no error messages when saving files, but still the resolution is wrong when I restart the computer.

Any ideas?

ktsteel
November 24th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Following your post I have the same issue and tried all the same fixes. I had this box on a different monitor when setting up the system and now switched to a dell LCD monitor and this issue appeared.