PDA

View Full Version : Acer 1410, 1810 TZ, 1810 T, experiences?

interglossa
November 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I have generally talked to people happy with their 1410's but wanted to invite comments from owners about how they decided which of these models they bought, where they bought them and any cautionary tales to share about problems or regrets if they would have preferred a different netbook/notebook.

dustrho
February 3rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
I'm also considering the 1410, but would love to hear feedback regarding Ubuntu on it.

Thanks.

grahampa
March 1st, 2010, 12:36 AM
I have been meaning to reply to this for a while now.
I have an Aspire 1410-8837. This particular model came with the Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500, running at 1.4 GHz, 3 GB of RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive and Intel GMA 4500 MHD graphics system.
I installed Kubuntu 9.10 and it has been perhaps the most trouble free GNU/Linux install that I have. Everything worked right after the install even the ethernet port although I heard online that this was an issue, it seems to be fixed. It suspends to RAM and Disk without a hitch.
I tried the Aspire One 150 and it worked flawlessly as well but I prefer the extra performance that the 1410 has over the Aspire One and the 11.6 inch screen gives the 1410 a definite advantage.
I also had an Aspire One 751H and I did not have an easy time getting GNU/Linux(I tried several distributions) to work well with it. The GMA 500 graphics system seemed to the the root of my problems with that model. I could not get it to suspend properly and it seemed laggy.

My Kubuntu experience with this model has been nothing short of awesome.
If you have any questions, either reply or PM me.

dustrho
March 1st, 2010, 02:59 AM
I'm also considering the 1410, but would love to hear feedback regarding Ubuntu on it.

I ordered this late last week and it'll be arriving tomorrow. I can't wait to start playing with this! I'm planning on keeping Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) on it, but will install Ubuntu to have a dual-boot environment on it. I'll share my thoughts/experience with everyone after I've played with it for a while.

interglossa
March 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks so much for responding about this. Do you remember where you bought them? I think Amazon always allows returns without a restocking fee although in turn they may not always have the best price. If you have the SU3500 then that is the core solo?

interglossa
March 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Oh, the other issue. Most people seem to choose 1410 but I am wondering what would justify buying the 1810T instead? Sounds like mostly about the battery.

dustrho
March 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I bought my 1410-2920 from Newegg as it was $449 with free shipping. The first unit shipped to me had very loose hinges, so I had it replaced with another one. My second unit is much better, but the hinges are still not as firm/strong as I'd like them to be (especially on such a small notebook that I'll be carrying around with me all the time while it's open). I'm trying to do one more replacement with them, as both units were built on the same date (12/23/09) and shipped from the same location, so it's probably a bad batch of them. Maybe? Not sure, but that's my guess.

I have Win7 HP 64-bit running as my primary OS with Ubuntu 9.10 as my secondary OS (dual boot), and Ubuntu runs great on this thing. The trackpad needs a little bit of tweaking to make it work well (it's a bit erratic), but I believe everything worked right out of the box.

I love this laptop and I really love the keyboard, even though it's hard to use in a dark room.

interglossa
March 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I had read some messages that mentioned some things about the acer 1410's from a qa point of view (keys sticking) but otherwise people seem satisfied.

ylluigl
April 4th, 2010, 01:08 PM
i just bought my 1410 !!! at first i would like to install windows xp into it first before ubuntu, but too bad i didnt have usb rom drive. It only came with 1GB ram i didnt upgrade it more due to budget constraint.

My previous laptop is Acer aspire 5052 with Turion 64, decided to buy new one coz the hinge broken already. Compared to the Turion 64, SU2300 is much slower... i never use other Atom-based netbook, but is it lagging a standard issue when we multitasking?

Most thing work out of the box for 1410, but no multitouch, no cpufreq control. The major concern for me is the lagging when multitasking; opening a new window when doing other job sometimes freeze the mouse, while most of the time causes others to dim out(not responding for a while).

anyway i'm not regret buying 1410, openarena work perfect, and webcam and others perfect too.