I liked this idea, check it:

"It would be great if the desktop background changes after some minutes
(decided by the user)."

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22499/

Thanks,
MIH1406

ColdFFF
November 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Isn't this already implemented in karmic? I thought the space backgrounds automatically changed following rules set out in an xml file

Nerd King
November 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
If in doubt, synaptic, wallpaper-tray I think (off the top of my head).

RiceMonster
November 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Isn't this already implemented in karmic? I thought the space backgrounds automatically changed following rules set out in an xml file

Yes, I'm pretty sure GNOME 2.28 implemented that.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Yes, I'm pretty sure GNOME 2.28 implemented that.

2.26, actually, but that isn't what's being asked for here. The time-lapsed backgrounds feature is awesome but it is designed for single cohesive packages of wallpapers (like the space ones, or Day of Ubuntu, or most of Fedora's backgrounds). The feature request is for the user to be able to simply select multiple individual backgrounds (of his own choosing) and have them be switched between in a slideshow.

Having just installed an amazing hdr-wallpapers package from the vdpau PPA, I can understand why people want this :)

SR_ELPIRATA
November 25th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Try Desktop-Drapes. You can select which pictures you want to use, also tells you which are the best for your current resolution and you can even tell the program to look for a specific folder in which you have your own wallpapers, problem with this, I just found out... if u use a different folder than the default... you lose those that come with ubuntu.

I'm using 9.04 and its working. The range of time between wallpaper switch starts from 5 mins, and you can also force the switch. Once installed, it will appear in the System/Preferences section. Says that it also can start when