PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ATI Radeon proprietory driver needed?

JayTribe
November 24th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hi there everyone,
Firstly, i would like to say that i am very new to linux and i have not got a clue what i'm doing at the moment:) but....
i have installed unbuntu 9.06 on my machine and everything seems to be fine - but i have a question!

I use blender 3d and i would like to know that my ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card is running correctly - does anyone know if i would need to install the proprietory driver for this card in order for it to function at its best?

Any help would be greatly appreciated;)

Many thanks

Mark Phelps
November 24th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I didn't catch what Ubuntu version you're running, but if it's newer than 8.10, there is no ATI driver that works with your card.

The older drivers won't work with the newer Xorg versions in Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10; the newer drivers will not work with the older cards (including yours).

You will be limited to using the open-source driver -- which is installed by default.

realzippy
November 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM
The neverending story.Can't there be a big note for ATI users during install ??? ;-)

Please mark thread as solved (threadtools)

JayTribe
November 24th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the reply guys,
I'm using unbuntu 9.04, so all of your comments are relevant to me.
Anyway, Blender is running great on Unbuntu 'as is' and i needed to get a new card anyway - so I'll do some investigation.

Thanks again for all of your comments and advice;)

Grenage
November 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM
If you do get another card, I would suggest Nvidia; it will save you a world of potential pain. Been there many times, have many t-shirts.

presence1960
November 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
If you do get another card, I would suggest Nvidia; it will save you a world of potential pain. Been there many times, have many t-shirts.

+1

Have an EVGA GeForce8600 GT and have not ever had one problem with that card. have used it in Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04, 9.10, Mint5, Sabayon 4.1 & Masonux 9.04.

My experience with linux + Nvidia has been 100% pain free.