PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backup CD

pactroclo
November 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM
hi

well, this is my first post in the forum and i have a question, hope you can help me
I've been using ubuntu for 3 months now, but i'm still new at this.

For my carreer, i usually "play :p" a lot with the computer (changing between linux distros and windows, add/remove or change software/hardware, etc), and when something goes wrong, having a backup disc it's very helpful.

With ubuntu the problem is installing all the packages over and over again, everytime something goes wrong, i tried using "AptonCD", but it's almost the same , and partitions are not an option.

is it possible to create an ubuntu disc with the actual configuration and downloaded packages, so the next time i format my computer (or something else happens), i'd have the option for just inserting my disc and have everything in order again (all the packages installed)??

i'd appreciate the help

dhavalbbhatt
November 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I think what you are looking for is "clonezilla". I haven't personally used it, but I see a lot of posts in here that talk about creating an image and using that image to re-boot/reinstall using Clonezilla.

phillw
November 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM
hi

well, this is my first post in the forum and i have a question, hope you can help me
I've been using ubuntu for 3 months now, but i'm still new at this.

For my carreer, i usually "play :p" a lot with the computer (changing between linux distros and windows, add/remove or change software/hardware, etc), and when something goes wrong, having a backup disc it's very helpful.

With ubuntu the problem is installing all the packages over and over again, everytime something goes wrong, i tried using "AptonCD", but it's almost the same , and partitions are not an option.

is it possible to create an ubuntu disc with the actual configuration and downloaded packages, so the next time i format my computer (or something else happens), i'd have the option for just inserting my disc and have everything in order again (all the packages installed)??

i'd appreciate the help

I use a script based on this thread to 'photo-copy' my installation before any major updates http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087&highlight=backup

It's an excellent discussion on backing up and restoring.

Keryx can produce a cd with all your apps on it.http://keryxproject.org/

Getting a list of packages etc can be done via http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1057608&highlight=synaptic+package+manager

FFox bookmarks can be exported, if you use FFox to save passwords, then PasswordExporter is a plug-in for FFox that will look after them for you.

Those should keep you busy for a while ;)

Me ? I save my passwords seperately then just use the backup script to 'photo-copy' my machine. But, that's just the way I do it - you choose which ever method suits you.

Regards,

Phill.

Mark Phelps
November 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM
If you just want a simple, easy to use image backup/restore app, check out PING at windowsdream.com.

This is a front-end to Partimage, that comes as an ISO file, can be burned to CD, or installed on the hard drive, and provides a basic GUI for saving and restoring partitions.

It's also relatively fast -- can backup or recovery my Ubuntu installation in under 10 minutes.