PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] WUBI - A giant ball of fail

spectrevk
November 24th, 2009, 01:05 PM
This should have been an easy installation. An Acer Aspire One, with XP, downloads Wubi and installs netbook remix. It works for the first reboot, installs, then after that...it just randomly dumps me at the Grub sh command line, with nothing else I can do. Nothing on the troubleshooting page for wubi seems applicable here. People make fun of windows installs, but this is easily the worst install experience I've had in like 20 years.

Graydawg
November 24th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I dunno - I completely avoided using Wubi purely on the fact that it was an installer through Windows.

Didn't like that idea so stuck with the standard install, Windows first, then repartition and install Karmic and Let GRUB do the booting. Works fine for me! ;)

Mark Phelps
November 24th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Did you install 9.10 or 9.04. Folks have been reporting LOTS of problems installing 9.10 in Wubi and getting it to work. There is a new 9.10 Wubi version out there, but don't know if that works any better than the ones the folks have used.

spectrevk
November 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM
It was 9.10. I finally got it working after yet another re-install attempt. Now, of course, my problem is that I can't install new software with the Ubuntu Software Center (no install button appears, and I'm never prompted for my password).

I actually stopped using Ubuntu earlier this year after 9.04 basically broke everything that was working on my other two computers under 8.10. I had hoped 9.10 would be a return to form, but it seems overall like the releases are getting sloppier.