PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE Device Notifier opens device in Nautilus not Dolphin

G0lg0thaZA
November 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hi All...

I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.10 on my laptop. When I attach a USB flash drive (various different ones) the widget Device Notifier sees the new device and mounts it. Sometimes it even opens it with the Nautilus file manger (automatically). I need nautilus for other apps I use (like Dropbox).

When I click on the mounted USB disk in the Device Notifier it open in Dolphin however.

But the problem starts when I want to unmount (safely remove) the USB disk.

When I click the unmount link in the Device Notifier (next to the mounted device) it give the error "Could not unmount the device. One or more files on this device are open within an application."

If I unmount it in the Nautilus file manager (or in the konsole) and then mount it again with the Device Notifier widget (without removing it) I can then successfully unmount it.

So it would appear that Nautilus is holding on to the mounted USB (somehow) and does not allow other apps to unmount it until it has been unmounted first with Nautilus.

I'd like Dolphin to be the only file manger used with the USB flash drives I insert. Where can this behaviour be changed? Either (1) Nautilus must not mount the USB flash drive OR (2) it must be the default file browser in KDE - I prefer option (1).

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

TIA
Frank

G0lg0thaZA
November 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
bump

Zorael
November 26th, 2009, 01:40 AM
What is the default file manager set to be in System Settings -> Default Applications? The device notifier plasma widget should honor that setting.

G0lg0thaZA
November 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hi

Thanx for the reply... it is set for Dolphin. But still Nautilus seems to be the master.

More info:

If I plug in a usb flash disc the Device Notifier widget shows it and Nautilus launches with the usb disc content. If I click the link to the usb stick in the Device Notifier it opens with Dolphin as well.

If I try to unmount it in Dolphin I get the following error: "org.freedesktop.HAL.Device.Volume.NotMountedByHal: Device to unmount is not in /media/hal.mtab so it is not mounted by HAL"

Once unmounted in nautilus I can unmount it in dolphin.

"tail -f /var/log/messages" does not show anything except that the stick is plugged in and when it is physically removed.

Any further ideas?

MickS
November 29th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Cant help I'm afraid other than to give the thread a bump and to say I have the same problem,

Mick

G0lg0thaZA
November 30th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Thanx ;-)

At least I know I am not the only one then...

Dullstar
November 30th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I thought Kubuntu didn't include nautilus. Did you guys run sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop? You could use the the package manager to uninstall it, if you think it's safe. I wouldn't say you should go and do it right now, though, because I'm not 100% sure it's safe. I see no reason why it wouldn't be safe, but, well, as they say, better safe than sorry!

G0lg0thaZA
November 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hey

As far as I know nautilus does not come by default. I do use Dropbox though, and I believe it was when I installed it in KDE that nautilus was added...

The question is: why is nautilus now the default "mounter" of usb discs and can it be changed back to dolphin?

I'm almost at the point of installing plain Ubuntu again... ;-)

akudewan
November 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM
As you said, Nautilus was probably installed when you installed Dropbox.

Problem 1: Folders open in Nautilus.
Solution: As Zorael pointed out: change the default file manager in systemsettings > Default Applications > File Manager > Dolphin. ("Open Folder" seems to be Nautilus)
http://imgur.com/wmuRjs.png (http://imgur.com/wmuRj.png)

Problem 2: KDE cannot unmount drives, Nautilus/gvfs takes control of them.
Solution: My post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8408560

About Dropbox: I also use it to sync files, but as long as I don't click on the tray icon, nautilus doesn't bother me

Hope this helps.

G0lg0thaZA
November 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Hi

Thanx for the info. I tried it, but unfortunately it did not work. Actually it does not pop up nautilus when I insert the USB stick anymore, but it still does not allow dolphin to unmount it. I must start nautilus in a terminal and then unmount it there before KDE will unmount properly.

My default file manager is definitely Dolphin.

Thanx for trying ;-)

G0lg0thaZA
December 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Hi

Finally got fed up with this, but want to continue trying out KDE - so I just changed the default File Manager to Nautilus. I can not unmount it in the device notifier, but at least I can quickly unmount it in the open Nautilus file browser.

Thanx for the help...

nossifer
February 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
I have the same issue. Also, I use Dropbox. At least the 'answer' seems to be to remove it in Nautilus... just tried it and it worked.

birnam
March 1st, 2010, 05:11 AM
I ran into this problem after installing Dropbox as well. The installation seems to have started up the gvfs daemon. In the system activity window I killed all of the gvfs related processes I saw, which for me included:

gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor
gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
gvfsd
gvfsd-burn
gvfsd-metadata
gvfsd-trash

After killing these, everything was back to normal.

G0lg0thaZA
March 1st, 2010, 06:28 AM
Schweet - will give it a go next time I try Kubuntu - for now, I am back in Ubuntu ;-)

NissePisse123
June 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
This is what worked for me:

gconftool --type Boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount false
See also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

inhuman!!!
September 4th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks Man
It works

c42105
September 27th, 2010, 08:55 AM
This is what worked for me:

gconftool --type Boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount falseSee also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

So simple and so effective! Many thanks!