PDA

View Full Version : A good project JAVA

Cardale
November 24th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I want another project and don't know what to do. I want to start doing some Java. What is a good place to start for some one that already knows how to program?

froggyswamp
November 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM
If you're self motivated and you don't have an itch to scratch then that's a pretty vague motivation. You didn't even mention what Java branch you're into: mobile, webside, desktop, etc..

Cardale
November 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Well most the programming I have done has been web development stuff. I would like to be able to break into the desktop programming area. Possibly memory stuff. If that is possible with java. I would like to learn more about that.

Zugzwang
November 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Well most the programming I have done has been web development stuff. I would like to be able to break into the desktop programming area. Possibly memory stuff. If that is possible with java. I would like to learn more about that.

What do you consider to be "memory stuff"? Database programming? File input/output? Or something like the following?

int[] hello = new int[20000];

BenAshton24
November 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
How about making a desktop client for grooveshark (http://grooveshark.com)

There's one available at the moment but you have to be a member to use it :(

The project itself wouldn't be to complex, you could perhaps use gtkmozembed or something to display the webpage and perhaps a feature that allows it to minimize into the notification area... that would be fantastic...

If you wanted to you could even make something that monitors grooveshark's traffic and extracts the names of songs when they play in order to facilitate the making of a "current song" plugin for instant messengers.

It's something that I have been meaning to do for a while since I use grooveshark a lot and get fed up of losing the Firefox window amongst the mass of programs that I usually have open. Unfortunately I haven't had chance to get round to it due to a number of projects that I have going already.

Also unless you're dead set on Java, I would suggest reconsidering your chosen programming language; maybe C++ or Python.

Ben.

Cardale
November 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
my next term I will have to know java any way. Later in the year I will get into c++ so don't worry about that. :D

landau.scott
November 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I think a real cool Java project at the moment would be to develop something for the Android phone. It's become real popular recently and you can develop applications for next to no cost (obviously for them to become widely available there is a listing fee).

Maybe some interesting application that uses the built in GPS or something that makes use of their audio libraries (for the built in speaker). Anything really.