PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Vala Gtk menu shortcuts, and keyevents generally

kumoshk
November 24th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Question #1:
How do I set up menu shortcuts in Gtk? I have menus, and they have mnemonics, but I don't see any examples or documentation as to how one can set up shortcuts.

I figured they'd have functionality that doesn't require one to work with key events (most of the GUI libraries I've tried do, anyhow).

Here's an example menu:

var menubar = new MenuBar();
var file_menu = new Menu();
var open_item=new MenuItem.with_mnemonic("_Open");
var quit_item=new MenuItem.with_mnemonic("_Quit");
file_menu.append(open_item);
file_menu.append(quit_item);
open_item.activate+=on_open;
quit_item.activate+=Gtk.main_quit;
var file_launcher=new MenuItem.with_mnemonic("_File");
file_launcher.set_submenu(file_menu);
menubar.append(file_launcher);

Question #2:
How can I get key combinations to register in KeyEvents? I mean, I want Ctrl+Y to signal a redo function, but it only catches Ctrl or Y (not both) in string form. I'm not sure how to do it in non-string form.

I've been using this

string key = Gdk.keyval_name (event.keyval);
to get my key events, but I figure I have to do something else, since it only returns one.

kumoshk
April 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Question #1 is solved. As for #2 …

I've figured out how to do this while a menu is visible, but I'd like to do it in full-screen mode, too.

Anyway, here's the menu method:

right_item.add_accelerator("activate", keyGroup, 0x0072, Gdk.ModifierType.CONTROL_MASK, Gtk.AccelFlags.VISIBLE);
right_item is a MenuItem. 0x0072 is the hexadecimal character value for r. Typing Ctrl+r will call the MenuItem's function. However, if the menu is invisible, it doesn't work.

SledgeHammer_999
April 7th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Try doing this(I suppose you use Vala and Vala is a bit C-ish):

right_item.add_accelerator("activate", keyGroup, 'R', Gdk.ModifierType.CONTROL_MASK, Gtk.AccelFlags.VISIBLE);

Linteg
April 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Have you added the Gtk.AccelGroup to the window?:

my_window.add_accel_group (keyGroup)

kumoshk
April 8th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Have you added the Gtk.AccelGroup to the window?:

my_window.add_accel_group (keyGroup)

Ah, I didn't know about AccelGroups or adding them to windows. Sounds like it should work, when I have a moment tonight or so to try it out. Thanks! This will definitely improve things for me, if it works.

kumoshk
April 8th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Ah, I didn't know about AccelGroups or adding them to windows. Sounds like it should work, when I have a moment tonight or so to try it out. Thanks! This will definitely improve things for me, if it works.
Actually, sorry, yes I did that already. But my misunderstanding of that has given me some ideas of things to experiment with.

kumoshk
April 8th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Actually, sorry, yes I did that already. But my misunderstanding of that has given me some ideas of things to experiment with.

I don't think using accelerators will help. They don't work when the menu is invisible. The accelerators don't seem to work on other widgets besides MenuItems.

However, if there were some way I could do a boolean check to see if modifier keys are being help down (control, alt, shift), that would solve the problem. Is there some function for this?

kumoshk
April 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM

I've discovered a way! Finally. Here's a random example of how to make Control+F11 work (instead of just F11):

private bool onKey(Gdk.EventKey event)
{
string key = Gdk.keyval_name(event.keyval);
if(key=="F11" && (event.state & Gdk.ModifierType.CONTROL_MASK) != 0)
{
this.fullScreen();
return true;
}
}

SledgeHammer_999
April 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I don't think using accelerators will help. They don't work when the menu is invisible. The accelerators don't seem to work on other widgets besides MenuItems.

What do you mean by invisible? Do you mean doing a set_sensitive(false)? (the equivalent in Vala). If yes, then you cannot receive the key-combination when the widget is insensitive.

kumoshk
April 9th, 2010, 01:52 AM
What do you mean by invisible? Do you mean doing a set_sensitive(false)? (the equivalent in Vala). If yes, then you cannot receive the key-combination when the widget is insensitive.

Nope. I mean such as this:

menubar.hide();