PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dock for ubuntu

amirmku
November 24th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Hi everyone out there, I am using ubuntu9.04 and pretty much happy with it.
But I want to have mac like dock. I do installed AWN but i found my system became slow.
therfore I wud like to know did anyone else also face this problem? if yes how to overcome.
Pls help
As I am new to ubuntu please explain in detail as to wht i need to overcome this problem.
I find AWN more closer to mac therefore wud like to have it without compromising on the system speed.

jacobs444
November 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
try cairo dock

Roasted
November 24th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I suggest Docky. Cairo Dock is nice but, good luck with that Control Panel. It's nothing short of horrible. But I admit - the eye candy is definitely there with Cairo Dock.

Docky is part of Gnome-Do. So install Gnome-Do from add/remove programs. Then open Gnome-Do from Applications - Accessories - Gnome-Do. It'll open a shaded window. In the upper right there is a small icon, click it, then hit preferences. In the appearance tab select the Dock theme and your dock will appear after a few seconds. From there you can configure the way the dock hides and the size etc.

vexeuz
November 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I have tried AWN, Cairo and Docky but each kinda have their own problems.

AWN: everything works great except I want to utilize my widescreen space and put the dock on the side, but it can't

Cairo: configuration is rediculous. It just doesn't act like you want it to

Docky: config option is minimal. Looks like nice but can't change much. And it doesn't have gmenu button.

I just settle with using the gnome panel and added "dockbarx applet" and "gnomenu".

borncrusader
November 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
There was this utility called kiba dock.. i used to have it in feisty/hardy (forgot :) )

this'll look cool with nice physics effects...

MelDJ
November 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
simdock in repo?

andrea000
November 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
what version of cairo dock are you using?Cairo dock 2
is very easy to set up and use.The first cairo was a
pain but since then it has became a great dock take a
look at this youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgzywQYZUaE) of it

Usufruct
November 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Have you checked your CPU usage while AWN was running? I have never had it bog down any machine.

amirmku
November 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Have you checked your CPU usage while AWN was running? I have never had it bog down any machine.

No i didnt chck Cpu usage while AWN was running. but sysytem became slow, like apllication like spread sheet, word processor were takinng too long to get open.
Even browser window were taking a long time to get open.................
my system specification are Processor 2.2GHz, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 320 GB hard disk I dont think this will be creating any problem?
But yeah while installing ubuntu I hav not done partition............

rabidbadger
November 25th, 2009, 03:29 PM
AWN: everything works great except I want to utilize my widescreen space and put the dock on the side, but it can't

*cough (http://www.webupd8.org/2009/10/avant-window-navigator-awn-04-available.html)*

raymondh
November 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Even browser window were taking a long time to get open.................
my system specification are Processor 2.2GHz, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 320 GB hard disk I dont think this will be creating any problem?
But yeah while installing ubuntu I hav not done partition............

I am running AWN on a 1.6ghz / 1GB / intel integrated card system with no problems.

Your last comment/sentence ..... are you using a wubi-installed Ubuntu?

amirmku
November 26th, 2009, 12:32 PM
simdock in repo?
what is WUBI

MelDJ
November 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
from my sig you mean? its the wubi installer for ubuntu ;)

raymondh
November 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
what is WUBI

Did you install ubuntu "inside-windows" (or as a file of windows) ? Or did you install Ubuntu in its' own, dedicated partition?

Another clue is .... was windows running at the time you installed ubuntu?

I ask this because if it is a wubi-install, the performance of ubuntu depends on a healthy, clean and defragged windows.

robbie d
November 27th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I too found the performance of my computer changed slightly running AWN. Core 2, 2G running wubi over vista. I gave up with awn as the auto-hide never worked properly you couldn't move it from bottom dead centre of the screen. Cairo-dock as others have said has the eye candy, but the frustration is I can't seem to drop menu items on there, the drop animation comes up, but nothing happens.

amirmku
November 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Did you install ubuntu "inside-windows" (or as a file of windows) ? Or did you install Ubuntu in its' own, dedicated partition?

Another clue is .... was windows running at the time you installed ubuntu?

I ask this because if it is a wubi-install, the performance of ubuntu depends on a healthy, clean and defragged windows.

yes I installed ubuntu inside windows, and yes windows was running at the time of ubuntu installation.............

raymondh
November 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
yes I installed ubuntu inside windows, and yes windows was running at the time of ubuntu installation.............

As mentioned previously (and as well as the capabilities of your graphic card and your current RAM)...... the speed/responsiveness of ubuntu will be/is also dependent on the state of your windows. Try to defrag windows (2x if you have the time). Also make sure windows is clean of any malware/spyware/virus.

Lastly, here is the wubiguide for your reference/reading.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

dentaku65
November 28th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Try wbar, seems interesting... is in the repo
homepage: http://code.google.com/p/wbar/

jacob87
December 4th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Cairo dock is a superb one. Its works quite smooth in my lap. I've only 256MB ram and 1.6Gz processor, video ram 16MB:)!!! It has a lot of in built themes including dock much similar to MAC dock :D.

peedeeramone
December 5th, 2009, 02:47 AM
ive been using docky in gnome do for a while and i really like it. it will sometimes get buggy but its mostly solid. i have dual monitors and keep it at the bottom of the second screen as a launcher. i use it like gnome do and as a mouse launcher. i hear that docky is separating from gnome do. for those that have used it, how much better is the performance? can you still use keyboard commands like in do? i am also thinking of trying awn. i used it a bit a few years back but was way too buggy. i used cairo-dock for a while (might not be cario dock 2) and had problems also. i guess i just like having my dock serve as an easy way for me to launch applications and maybe house some useful indicators, but i dont want it to be my primary reference.

back to awn. for those who use it, how does it compare to docky? would you recommend one over the other?

fabounet
December 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
might not be cario dock 2
I recommend you try the latest version then (2.1.2) ;-)

akashiraffee
December 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Cairo's a cute mess.

i guess i just like having my dock serve as an easy way for me to launch applications and maybe house some useful indicators, but i dont want it to be my primary reference.

If that's all you are doing, use a gnome panel set transparent, 128 pixels high (that's big), with expand off (so it's centered) and autohide on.

It looks like a dock, and it walks like a dock :p

Also it will use way less resources, is as stable as gnome is, and integrated with it.

anantshri
January 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Cairo's a cute mess.

If that's all you are doing, use a gnome panel set transparent, 128 pixels high (that's big), with expand off (so it's centered) and autohide on.

It looks like a dock, and it walks like a dock :p

Also it will use way less resources, is as stable as gnome is, and integrated with it.

thanks for the tip buddy, that exactly what i am using currently but just needed few pointers.

1. how to have transparency enabled in gnome panel for any drawer. / application menu item's

2. howto place icons from application menu of a panel in vertical mode.

3. howto have a zoom in effect on the icon's of that panel or atleast increasethe glow effect that they curently have.

Note : for first question i do have my panel transparent i want my submenu to be transparent also.