PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! Ubuntu won't install

mmq_136
November 24th, 2009, 04:41 AM
So let me preface this by saying that I am a complete linux newbie. I've wanted for some time to give ubuntu a try, but after a brief experiment with it years ago I set it aside and never came back.

Well recently I decided to try my luck with it again, and set up a dual boot pc with xp and Ubuntu, however the old cd I had installed successfully on a previous computer would experience a problem before reaching installation on this pc. So I decided to try the new build of Ubuntu (9.10) and surprisingly I encountered the exact same problem. The problem is when I boot the PC with the Ubuntu disk I access the initial installation menu just fine (the one that gives you the options to try ubuntu without changes, install, test memory, etc.), however when I choose to install the OS I receive the gray ubuntu loading icon for a minute followed by a very strange screen of strange colored bars and stripes (sometimes flickering), and nothing more.

I have a feeling that the issue is with my video card's compatibility but I can't be sure. If anyone has any sort of work around or ideas the suggestions would be very much appreciated.

My system is:
Asus P5SD2-X series mobo
Pentium D processor
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT video card

I'd be happy to fill in any other details that I can if you think the info would be helpful. Thanks!

SpitfireSMS
November 24th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Your video card shouldnt be the issue, unless its actually about to crap out on you..

It sounds to me like your discs may be of poor quality, I would try one more disk.

Also, before you burn that one disc, RE-download ubuntu.
I had an issue installing 9.10 because my hard drive had a bad sector, which part of the ubuntu iso was written to.
So every copy I burned of that iso was corrupt.

If it still doesnt work with a new .iso and a new cd, then it could be your hardware.

raynman
November 24th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I strongly incourage you to to select the cd check before you install ubuntu. I have recently install ubuntu on 3 pc's I a know that the first problem is bad cds. The live cd startup will give you the option the check the cd, DO IT, then run your install. At least then you will know that the issue is not related to a bad installation cd.

mmq_136
November 24th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Ok, I downloaded ubuntu again, and created another disk, on another brand cd, with the same problem. Just to be absolutely certain I pulled out the old Compaq I had originally installed linux on, and the Ubuntu cd works just fine on there, so it doesn't look like the fix will be so easy unfortunately.

I don't think it is a problem with the integrity of my video card, but I really have a suspicion that Ubuntu is having an issue compatibility wise when it comes to displaying its interface with my card. In a bit here I will see if I can get a usable picture taken with my cell phone of exactly what the screen looks like when the install process hangs.

mmq_136
November 25th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Here is a picture of what my screen looks like when trying to install 9.10

I tried an older version of ubuntu and that one cuts off the signal to my monitor completely after the loading screen before the installation begins. Any ideas?? Could I need a new driver specific for linux for my video card to work with ubuntu?