PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new installation startup problem, stalls at GRUB loading

ahunter10
November 24th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I am having problems with my new 9.10 installation. During startup I get to the GRUB loading message and then nothing else happens. It will stall there forever.

Info about my system:
-250GB IDE HDD contains root partition, swap partition, and an empty FAT32 partition (eventually for windows maybe)
-500GB SATA HDD contains /home partition.
-ACHI mode enabled in BIOS. OS sees both disks as SATA
-500GB disk is sda, 250GB disk is sdb
-64 bit kernel

Interesting observations:
When I select the 250GB disk (which contains root partition) as the startup disk, I never get to the GRUB loading message. Startup stalls at "Verifying DMI Pool DATA ..........", which is interesting because the 250GB disk should be the startup disk. I only see the GRUB loading message when I select the 500GB (/home) disk as the startup disk.

Initially it started up fine. A couple restarts later I got to the Ubuntu splash screen, but I got a error about how it couldn't find the disk with UUID=<some UUID>. It went through a long process of repairing the disk (or something like that). I think I started up at lease once since then, but now I never reach splash screen.

Anybody have any ideas? I booted with the live CD just fine. I could see both hard drives. the fstab file looks fine, but I really don't know very much so maybe there is something wrong with it?

Could it be an incorrect BIOS setting? Did I partition wrong? Hopefully there is a solution that doesn't involve reformatting the disks, i've already put some time into setting things up. Any help is much appreciated.

ahunter10
November 24th, 2009, 04:27 AM
UPDATE: I just let the computer hang at the GRUB loading message for the longest I have yet (nearly 30 minutes). All of a sudden the Ubuntu splash screen appears and the OS starts up like normal.

This is a good thing, but does anybody know why it is taking so long for GRUB to start the OS? I'd rather the computer didn't take a half hour to start up every time. Again, any help/ideas are much appreciated.

namok
November 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
This may be helpful. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8234882)