PDA

View Full Version : Good, cheap PCI video cards for Linux??

murderslastcrow
November 24th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Just wondering, since my parents have a nice Dell Dimension 1100 PC with 1 GB of RAM, but the integrated video card S-U-K-Z. Hardcore, no way to speed it up.

We have another computer downstairs with 256 MB of RAM and an ATI video card that came with it, and it flies with compiz. Flash performance is also perfect on that computer, SOMEHOW. Like, RAM has nothing to do with it.

So it's ridiculous for my parents to think their computer is sluggish when it's just a horrible integrated video card. I've read some tutorials on how to change from integrated to PCI graphics after installing it, so I'm ready to buy one. Nothing major, no gaming, we just need the effects to run nicely.

Anyone bought one recently or know of a card that's cheap and performs well? I've been looking at eBay and newegg, and found some really good deals, but just wondering if I can expect good performance from the cheaper ones. Of course, non-gaming video cards never get all that expensive I would expect, since desktop computers these days are going below 300 dollars.

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

BuffaloX
November 24th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I wouldn't waste money upgrading that.
It's a Celeron based system, which in itself will make it always slow IMO.

I think your best option would be to sell it, and buy another used computer with a better CPU and graphics.

If it's only able to use PCI cards, you are pretty bad positioned to upgrade anyway. PCI graphics cards are rare, and the PCI bus is very slow for graphics.

On the other hand, you can get an AGP based system dirt cheap, since they are also considered obsolete buy most people today.

jacobs444
November 24th, 2009, 03:07 AM
not true, celeron will run alright with pci graphics, my friends dell 2400 crappy celeron is using an ati 9250, though to be fast he has to stay with 8.04 for the proprietary driver.

Shibblet
November 24th, 2009, 03:15 AM
You can pick up a PCI GeForce 5200 (http://www.amazon.com/PNY-VCGFX522PEB-GeForce-256MB-Graphics/dp/B001E42QGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259028947&sr=1-1) for under $40.00 right now.
You can get a PCIe GeForce 9500GT (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-9500GT-Graphics-01G-P3-N958-LR/dp/B0021AFO4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259028855&sr=8-1) for about $60.00

Arup
November 24th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Get a nvidia 8400GS with 1GB RAM, it does VDPAU and if you are not a avid gamer, it does everything else quite good and you can currently find it for around US$30.

Exodist
November 24th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Just wondering, since my parents have a nice Dell Dimension 1100 PC with 1 GB of RAM, but the integrated video card S-U-K-Z. Hardcore, no way to speed it up.

We have another computer downstairs with 256 MB of RAM and an ATI video card that came with it, and it flies with compiz. Flash performance is also perfect on that computer, SOMEHOW. Like, RAM has nothing to do with it.

So it's ridiculous for my parents to think their computer is sluggish when it's just a horrible integrated video card. I've read some tutorials on how to change from integrated to PCI graphics after installing it, so I'm ready to buy one. Nothing major, no gaming, we just need the effects to run nicely.

Anyone bought one recently or know of a card that's cheap and performs well? I've been looking at eBay and newegg, and found some really good deals, but just wondering if I can expect good performance from the cheaper ones. Of course, non-gaming video cards never get all that expensive I would expect, since desktop computers these days are going below 300 dollars.

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

1) First thing is first, see what you have to work with. Some prebuilt system like Dell, HP and so on have the main graphics port like AGP or now a days the PCIe-16x slot removed. Thus forcing you to buy a new system for better performance. PCI and PCIe are not the same.
2) More then likely you will have to go with a standard PCI graphics card. Which is not that bad unless your a massive gamer. I would go with something that will be suported for a few more years to come. A Nvidia 8000series would be a good choice. This PNY 8400GS PCI (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133245). Has both DVI and D-Sub connector and works super great with Linux.

murderslastcrow
November 24th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Great input, you guys. 30 bucks isn't that much, but I'm almost certain I could find a suitable video card in another computer for a bit more (anything with less than 2 GB of RAM is cheap these days).

Makes you glad you're a Linux user. I'm pretty sure I'll buy the PCI card, since this computer probably won't have anything other than Linux on it from here on out, and I don't expect Linux (the kernel) to get any slower over time (if it did I wouldn't update it). Livin' the dream.