PDA

View Full Version : Grade on a scale, and toss the extreme responses.

Shibblet
November 24th, 2009, 01:06 AM
It sucks!
It's worthless!
It's horrible!
It's crap!

What happened to...

It's great, but I can't get this to work.
It's not bad at all.
It's got many uses, but I need something different.

It's crazy. Grade on a scale of 1-10. 10 being great, and 9 being the worst possible thing ever. 8-1 are irrelevant?

Karmic has it's fair share of problems, but by no means is it lower than an 8. Vista even ranks a 6-7 in my book, because it does work and works fairly well. Not as quick as XP, which has been out long enough to fix many bugs and compatibility, and now ranks a 9.

We seem to lose our positive outlooks on new products anymore. Sheeze, anyone who posts in a forum knows that others tend to bash new products before they're even released!

Nothing is ideal (perfect), but why does it have to "suck" (completely worthless)? What we compare it to is so much better that it makes any competition look like last place? Not even secondary?

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 24th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I think Karmic is fantastic. Truth be told it works a little bit better than Jaunty on my system, but I liked certain things about Jaunty, like the loading screen. I give it an 8-9

I liked Vista infinitely better than XP, so I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I give it an 8.

The thing that bothers me, is when something "sucks" because it doesn't work on a single person's hardware. There are a lot of distros that wouldn't work with my hardware initially, but that doesn't make them crap. They work fine with the hardware they were designed for.

ticopelp
November 24th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Internet discussion naturally tends to drive people towards hyperbole and polarized responses, if for no other reason than they tend to attract much more attention than moderate responses, and attention is the currency of internet forums.

Make two threads, one titled "this software has a few bugs" and "this software is worse than Hitler" and it's not hard to figure out which will get more responses.

Shibblet
November 24th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Internet discussion naturally tends to drive people towards hyperbole and polarized responses, if for no other reason than they tend to attract much more attention than moderate responses, and attention is the currency of internet forums.

Never have I heard it said better.

So what that leaves us with is having to read through a majority of posts that are meaningless opinions, and the small amount of posts where people place a legitimate opinion, and back up their reasons.

BTW, you quoted Aysiu, I'm going to quote you. ;)

ticopelp
November 24th, 2009, 03:10 AM
BTW, you quoted Aysiu, I'm going to quote you.
;)

Wow, my first quote -- thanks! :)