PDA

View Full Version : Mega-Thread: Discussion about Discussions about Arch on ubuntuforums.org

earthpigg
November 24th, 2009, 12:34 AM
wouldn't it be nice if all discussions about discussing arch on ubuntuforums.org where kept to one thread, so the discussions about arch themselves could be left unmolested?

All future "try arch" comments that are completely out of place in a given thread should be posted here.

All future "stop telling poeple to try arch!" comments also go here.

All future "Arch should/should not be discussed on ubuntuforums.org" comments go here, as well.

essentially, if someone wants to make a thread discussing arch... let them have their discussion without the meta-discussion, and let the mods move it to 'recurring discussions' if they like. suggestions to move Arch discussions to 'recurring discussions' also go here.

people with an unreasonably strong and frequently expressed affection towards Arch: you have a home.

those that dislike the above individuals, and/or arch itself: you have a home.

you are welcome.

(thread created only slightly in jest...)

yossell
November 24th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Mega-thread or Meta-thread?

Anyway, I think this should be moved to 'recursive discussions' :D

earthpigg
November 24th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Mega-thread or Meta-thread?

Anyway, I think this should be moved to 'recursive discussions' :D

lol

well played, sir.

Sealbhach
November 24th, 2009, 12:47 AM
If there's one word or phrase I would want to eliminate from public discourse on these forums, it's the word "fanboy" or "fanboyism". Once deployed in a hitherto reasoned discussion, it produces bitterness and anger and immediately reduces the thread to a flame war.

earthpigg
November 24th, 2009, 12:50 AM
@Sealbhach - fixed.

soni1770
November 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Block war!!!!

go billy carter block!!!!!

:popcorn:

gn2
November 24th, 2009, 12:56 AM
If it was possible for all postings containing the word Arch to be moved into this thread and this thread placed in the jail, that would be ace.

Regenweald
November 24th, 2009, 12:56 AM
And so it came to be Jimmy, that a mega thread was born...

Try Arch!!!

my contribution :)

kevCast
November 24th, 2009, 01:05 AM
If only there were some type of forum where these discussions could go on freely, we could call it Other OS...Chat? Speakeasy? Hmm...

soni1770
November 24th, 2009, 01:08 AM
timmy,, jimmy....

arch this

ZankerH
November 24th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Arch user reporting in.

But wait...I also use Fedora, Debian, gNewSense and Ubuntu software distributions of GNU/Linux. I'm confused, which side should I be a fanboy for?

How about use what works for you. We really don't need a thread like this, it isn't even intended to be a discussion over the software distribution itself, but just bouncing the same arguments between the two sides over and over again.

soni1770
November 24th, 2009, 01:51 AM
post here if you think we shouldn't have threads about discussions about discussions about arch.

remember, don't post here if you want to talk about arch, or you want to talk about talking about arch.

only post if you want to talk about talking about talking about arch.

Dharmachakra
November 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM
You aren't funny.

Psumi
November 24th, 2009, 01:55 AM
You aren't funny.

Seriously,

XubuRoxMySox
November 24th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Ubuntu gets seriously dissed in Debian forums on occasion as well.

Ubuntu: An African word meaning, "can't install Debian."

Ubuntu users who switch to either Debian or Arch often feel like they have "graduated" or removed the training wheels, so to speak, from their Linux.

It's prob'ly true in both cases. They're both alot more hands-on and both require some nominal expertise in Linux to set up, update, and maintain.

I salute and admire those hands-on experts for their persistence and knowledge and experience. But I don't excuse snobbery. It's a phrase I find myself repeating with increasing frequency whenever Arch is mentioned:

I prefer to run applications. Not my operating system. Thanks anyway.

That doesn't make me inferior, only different. Besides, some wonderful super-geeks worked very, very hard to create a Linux for the rest of us; a "Linux for human beings," and it's a shame to diss those of us who have put all that hard work to its intended use. I'll always be grateful for the supergeeks who made Linux available to this simple, non-geeky dancer, liberating thousands of people like me from the grip of proprietary captivity.

But don't be a snob. Be flattered that your work at making Linux simple enough for us common folk has been such a smashing success!

-Robin

AlphaLexman
November 24th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Moved to ArchForums.com

soni1770
November 24th, 2009, 01:57 AM
hey, both of those posts are of topic,
you should go to the jail

snowpine
November 24th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I use both Ubuntu and Arch. They are both great OS's. The main differences are really in the release process and the installation philosophy. And the community. Oh, the community... Like Robin said, Gimp is Gimp whether it's Arch or Ubuntu. Your everyday experience with either is only really different to the extent that you make it.

dragos240
November 24th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I thought it was funny.

dragos240
November 24th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Honestly. We really shouldn't be discussing discussions about discussions about discussions about arch. Really :p

schauerlich
November 24th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Honestly. We really shouldn't be discussing discussions about discussions about discussions about arch. Really :p

It's times like this where I wish the English language wasn't recursive.

j7%<RmUg
November 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM
So why did you start this thread?

chris200x9
November 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM

not only do I disagree; you're wrong. :P

Dharmachakra
November 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Holy ****... #-o

dragos240
November 24th, 2009, 02:10 AM
So why did you start this thread?

I love redundant topics. Earthpig started a topic about discussions about arch. Then another person started a topic about discussions about discussions about arch, and now it's me who is posting a topic in response to this.

not only do I disagree; you're wrong. :P

I love being wrong! :p

RiceMonster
November 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
http://caseelse.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/recursionagain.jpg

overdrank
November 24th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Arch Threads merged

dragos240
November 24th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I think this should go in Recurring Discussions (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=302)

dragos240
November 24th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Arch Threads merged

Aww.. you ruined the fun! :o :p

~sHyLoCk~
Ok so what do you guys wanna talk about, and how come I don't see ya'all discussing about Arch in Arch forum? :O [No I'm not being gn3 here, I just am curious].

soni1770
well think having discussions about discussions about discussions about discussions about arch is a great idea,
this needs to be discussed. where would we be if we didn't address this problem,
i'll tell you,
all of these discussions about discussions about discussions about discussions about arch
and discussions about discussions about discussions about arch
and discussions about discussions about arch
would all be in the discussions about arch thread.
then where would we be!

dragos240
November 24th, 2009, 02:16 AM
*Alerts the Arch bbs about the issue*

Dharmachakra
November 24th, 2009, 02:17 AM
You two really make me want to strangel myself.

Irihapeti
November 24th, 2009, 02:24 AM
The over-ARCHing rule is to remember that this is the ARCHetypal thread for all ARCH-villains, maybe even ARCH-fiends, and therefore should be under the watchful eye of the oligARCHy of the hierARCHy of moderators....

OK, time I disappeared for a cup of tea - I'm feeling rather pARCHed...

soni1770
November 24th, 2009, 02:28 AM
this really is a mega thread,
it's only been about a little time and it's allready eating 2 other threads.
the lions, the tigers, the bears,.. oh my.

dragos240
November 24th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Wow. Moderation is strict in the arch bbs. The topic I created about this topic was closed :o

soni1770
November 24th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Wow. Moderation is strict in the arch bbs. The topic I created about this topic was closed :o

maybe we should go back,
and create a topic about the topic you created about this topic.

dragos240
November 24th, 2009, 02:38 AM
maybe we should go back,
and create a topic about the topic you created about this topic.

Good idea!

scradock
November 24th, 2009, 02:41 AM
wot is arch?

soni1770
November 24th, 2009, 02:43 AM
wot is arch?

ahh,
your in the wrong thread mate,

you want the discussion about arch thread,

2nd left,
can't miss it

Greg
November 24th, 2009, 02:44 AM
http://caseelse.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/recursionagain.jpg

The Fourth Commandment

Always change at least one argument when recurring. When recurring on a list of atoms, lat, use (cdr lat). When recurring on a number, n, use (sub1 n). And when recurring on a list of S-expressions, l, use (car l) and (cdr l) if neither (null? l) nor (atom? (car l)) are true.

It must be changed to be closer to termination. The changing argument must be tested in the termination condition:
when using cdr, test termination with null? and
when using sub1, test termination with zero?.

Ric_NYC
November 24th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Arch... GO AWAY!

Enough of this "other" OS...

Go to your own forum!

RiceMonster
November 24th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Arch... GO AWAY!

Enough of this "other" OS...

Go to your own forum!

You should try Arch

llcawthorne
November 24th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Wow. It only took Allan like 8 minutes to lock that topic. He really is on the ball. I wonder how he ever gets time to break things sometimes.

earthpigg
November 24th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Wow. It only took Allan like 8 minutes to lock that topic. He really is on the ball. I wonder how he ever gets time to break things sometimes.

link?

~sHyLoCk~
November 24th, 2009, 03:47 AM

I think Allan is actually a bot. :o *scared* Is he behind me? :-s

mdshann
November 24th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all!

SomeGuyDude
November 24th, 2009, 03:58 AM
In honor of this thread I think I'm going to start shoehorning Arch into more discussions.

Until now I never really ventured outside the Cafe, and only mentioned Arch if the discussion explicitly warranted it ("what's a light distro?" and what have you), but with all the idiots whining, I'm heavily tempted to start bringing up Arch all the time now, all over the board.

JBAlaska
November 24th, 2009, 03:59 AM
So... What do ya all think of LXDE on Debian Squeeze..wait..wrong thread..DOH.

earthpigg
November 24th, 2009, 04:13 AM
So... What do ya all think of LXDE on Debian Squeeze..wait..wrong thread..DOH.

i prefer it on ubuntu :D

JBAlaska
November 24th, 2009, 04:29 AM
i prefer it on ubuntu :D

Yea, Seems I checked out a sweet little LXDE/Ubuntu distro a while ago..can't remember the name though..:-)

Rainstride
November 24th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Yea, Seems I checked out a sweet little LXDE/Ubuntu distro a while ago..can't remember the name though..:-)

lubuntu?:D

sertse
November 24th, 2009, 05:37 AM
The current Arch situation that occur so often may in hindsight, the consequence of the admins closing Other Os Talk. Before then, Archers kept to their own subforum, and talked amongst themselves and/or people who are open to exploring other OSes (And Archers in turn are influenced by other OSes.. a moderating influence). Conversely Ubuntuers won't get bothered in Cafe, or felt that they are challenged for thier views.

Perhaps it just a case of reaping what you sow. ;) Discussion of other Oses will always happen no matter how you try to regulate it, while this just sounds like a case of "I told ya so", I don't think we can deny the disruption caused by the alternative.

Skripka
November 24th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Wow that was a quick troll-bin-ing...

Allan's Mod-Fu is strong.

SomeGuyDude
November 24th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Quick spot check. Is this phenomenon of Arch coming up happening anywhere BUT the Cafe? If not, what's the big deal? The Cafe's for loose and easy discussion, so quit whining.

armageddon08
November 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM
OMG!! Why do you have to go and create this thread for??

koenn
November 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
... Before then, Archers kept to their own subforum, and talked amongst themselves and/or people who are open to exploring other OSes ... Conversely Ubuntuers won't get bothered in Cafe, or felt that they are challenged for thier views.

pretty arrogant assumption that people who are bothered by those Arch comments are closed minded or feel threathened. Is such arrogance typical for Arch users ?

Maybe some people just get annoyed by fanboism or plain off-topic remarks ?

XubuRoxMySox
November 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I wonder if the local McDonald's (Golden Arches) restaurant uses Arch Linux? They should, cuz it's - well, Archy. I know Archie uses Arch (it's named after him ain't it?), Veronica uses Crunchbang (she's all dark and sinister so she's into that stark, black distro), and Betty uses Kubuntu. Dunno about Jughead.

The Archbishops of the Church of the Painful Truth use Arch Linux, and the city of St Louis ought to use Arch because they have that big ol' Arch landmark. The Romans definitely used Arch Linux because everywhere they went they built Arches. Soldiers on the march use it too.

Tibuda
November 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I don't really know what are you all talking about. I only see Arch mentioned when people ask for a rolling-release distro, those recurring "what distro you use" polls, and threads complaining about "Arch preaching". But I don't see any "Arch preaching". I don't think converting Ubuntu users to Arch is part of the "Arch way".

spupy
November 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I don't really know what are you all talking about. I only see Arch mentioned when people ask for a rolling-release distro, those recurring "what distro you use" polls, and threads complaining about "Arch preaching". But I don't see any "Arch preaching". I don't think converting Ubuntu users to Arch is part of the "Arch way".

Recently some support questions for Arch have been coming up in here. There is a forum for arch linux, people. It has a search function and registering an account is not that hard.

soni1770
November 24th, 2009, 01:55 PM
right, whats going on,

lots of these discussions are actually about arch
or discussions about discussions about arch
or discussions about discussions about discussions about arch
all of these discussions are in the wrong thread,
i knew merging the threads would create chaos

please people, we can't just go posting off topic anywheres we like,

yossell
November 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM
seems there's now even a daily radio show about a community who uses Arch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/

where will this proselytising end?

Pogeymanz
November 24th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Ok so what do you guys wanna talk about, and how come I don't see ya'all discussing about Arch in Arch forum? :O [No I'm not being gn3 here, I just am curious].

Well, the UF have way more members. Sometimes you like to post things that will get input in a few minutes. Also, if you just switched from Ubuntu to Arch, there is no reason to think that you shouldn't tell others about your experience and that they may also enjoy the switch.

Also, if I count the number of posts in the Cafe that are actually ABOUT Ubuntu, it would be a pretty small fraction. "Why don't you go talk about your LG Washing machine at the LG Washing machine forums?"

~sHyLoCk~
November 24th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Well, the UF have way more members. Sometimes you like to post things that will get input in a few minutes. Also, if you just switched from Ubuntu to Arch, there is no reason to think that you shouldn't tell others about your experience and that they may also enjoy the switch.

Also, if I count the number of posts in the Cafe that are actually ABOUT Ubuntu, it would be a pretty small fraction. "Why don't you go talk about your LG Washing machine at the LG Washing machine forums?"

That is sort of true. Pointless topics every minutes, one after another, which gets dragged till 20 pages of pointless posts. All hail UF forum and the benevolent mods. :D
It's just that we had discussions in Arch forum about Arch fanboys ruining it's good name in various places. We should know where to draw the line. This is not directed at a particular person, but to all Archers here, specially the new ubuntu to Arch converts. I'm not an official spokesperson, but a humble community member. Please consider my request. Have fun.;)

Grifulkin
November 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Arch is a very good distro. I absolutely love it, for the sheer fact I know where most stuff is and I really love the rc.conf file. Also I enjoy Pacman, A LOT.
sudo pacman -Syu Just that simple oh and I saw in another thread that yaourt makes things more complicated. Can I just ask how?
yaourt -S packagename Then to uninstall it
sudo pacman -Rns packagename -Rns removes the programs and all the dependencies that came with it.

Although that is just my opinion but what do I know I've only been using linux for a little over a year. And I have yet to run into a breakage with Arch, the only problem I had was using nvidia's xorg autoconfig and then using xorg's auto config to overwrite it, whoops. Now everything runs very nicely.

soni1770
November 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM
http://xkcd.com/456/

red_Marvin
November 25th, 2009, 12:51 AM
As an arch user I feel I should contribute something to this confiusion spawned from the thread merge.
echo thread about arch.|sed -n ":a;h;s/^/This is a /;p;s/This is/It has always been/;p;g;s/thread/& about &s/;p;ba"

Irihapeti
November 25th, 2009, 01:31 AM
seems there's now even a daily radio show about a community who uses arch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/

where will this proselytising end?

lol^10

Ji Ruo
November 25th, 2009, 06:01 AM
http://xkcd.com/456/

Bahaha it's so true...

corsakh
November 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Wanna know one of the main reasons why Linux is so much behind Microsoft and Co? The amounts of aggro idiots drawn to it are enough to scare anyone off. The number of linux distributions grows faster than the number of linux users. You don't need any more segregation than there is now, you need unity. So what if some one from Arch comes here to chit chat or someone from here goes to Arch to read wiki? Its still linux, get a grip. The fact that people from other distros come here to chat is good thing for everyone and should be encouraged. It means Ubuntu is being accepted as a mainstream. And don't give me this bs about choice.

Hallvor
November 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Wanna know one of the main reasons why Linux is so much behind Microsoft and CO?

Linux is a kernel and Microsoft is a corporation. It is hardly a valid comparison. But assuming you meant GNU/Linux compared to, say, Windows 7, far from everyone agrees with you. For me, GNU/Linux is vastly superior to anything Redmond has to offer. You might not agree, but what is good for you, does not equal better for everybody.

You don't need any more segregation than there is now, you need unity.

The GNU/Linux way is evolution. Diversity is a good thing; good features that users want will be innovated and copied. Bad features will be skipped. Distros that make what users want will survive and those who don`t will perish. It is basically the same with almost every product out there. There are for instance a lot of different cars out there, but it would imho be a bad day for consumers everywhere if the auto industry decided to unite and make just two or three models.

The fact that people from other distros come here to chat is good thing for everyone and should be encouraged. It means Ubuntu is being accepted as a mainstream.

I think that many of the users that now use Arch and whatever have started out with Ubuntu, have moved on, but still enjoy to hang out at the forums. It does not necessarily mean endorsement of Ubuntu.

corsakh
November 25th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Linux is a kernel and Microsoft is a corporation. It is hardly a valid comparison. But assuming you meant GNU/Linux...
It seems so entrenched, I am not sure you'd be able to understand what I am saying even if you tried.

handy
November 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Answering the thread title:

The bottom line as I see it, is that the other OS sub-forum here was closed.

After which if we do talk about other OS it has to be in the Community Cafe.

Whilst ever we are still allowed to talk about other OS in the Ubuntu forums, then there is NO problem.

IF the CoC is changed & the users of the Ubuntu forum are then no longer allowed to discuss any other OS, THEN, we really do have a serious problem.

Until that happens, the only problem that Arch users face (whether they also use Ubuntu, &/or provide assistance to Ubuntu users when they can or not) is having to deal with the very few obnoxious Ubuntu users that have a set against any other distro/system being discussed in the Ubuntu forum, or (& there are one or two of them) the discussion of Arch in particular.

As I keep saying, put those people in your User CP ignore list, after which they will only exist after they have been quoted by another user.

I have found that he (they ;)) is/are really quite easy to live with now... :D

Hallvor
November 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM
It seems so entrenched, I am not sure you'd be able to understand what I am saying even if you tried.

Did you not de facto write that GNU/Linux is inferior to Windows? (Use Windows, then.)
Did you not de facto write that there should be fewer distros? (In practice that means less choice and telling a lot of unpaid volunteers how to spend their free time.)

Anything wrong with what I wrote?

corsakh
November 25th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious that I was not talking about kernels, but about desktop operating systems. That "behind" was in terms of market share. And that I was not judging diversity, but rather pointing out the tendency of linux users to separate and yell "my grass is greener than yours" (and thats despite all the choice talk) as it can easily be observed by this very thread.

soni1770
November 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Anything wrong with what I wrote?

yes there is mate

read the thread title.

this thread is only for Discussion about Discussions about Arch.

you need to go get your own thread and stop posting off topic here:popcorn:

Hallvor
November 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
yes there is mate

read the thread title.

this thread is only for Discussion about Discussions about Arch.

you need to go get your own thread and stop posting off topic here:popcorn:

Yes, you are right. Sorry about that. ;)

yossell
November 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Did you not de facto write that GNU/Linux is inferior to Windows?

Actually, I'd taken him to be talking about the popularity of GNU/Linux (in terms of sheer number of users) rather than the quality of the operating system itself, and his general message to be that he was worried that the infighting between different supporters of different distros could be offputting to casual but interested neutrals. It does all get a bit Life of Brian sometimes.

But while it's also true that too much choice can be confusing, the customizability and the options are something that I really love about Linux and, with you, would really be sorry to lose.

Xbehave
November 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Until that happens, the only problem that ubuntu users face is having to deal with the very few obnoxious Arch users that just go on about arch instead of addressing the issues being discussed
There are plenty of decent arch users that converse civilly and/or help ubuntu users with their problems and sometimes try arch is a legitimate answer but if the question is "which debian based distro should i try?" / "how do i fix pulseaudio?", then answering use arch is basically no better than spamming adverts for diet pills.

I expect expect people to stay on topic and will continue to attacking idiots who push their agenda into any/all posts

SeanHodges
November 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Wanna know one of the main reasons why Linux is so much behind Microsoft and Co?

No.

The amounts of aggro idiots drawn to it are enough to scare anyone off. The number of linux distributions grows faster than the number of linux users. You don't need any more segregation than there is now, you need unity. So what if some one from Arch comes here to chit chat or someone from here goes to Arch to read wiki? Its still linux, get a grip. The fact that people from other distros come here to chat is good thing for everyone and should be encouraged. It means Ubuntu is being accepted as a mainstream. And don't give me this bs about choice.

Oh... so you were never really asking?

I think the simple fact of the matter is that if everyone used Arch, and didn't use their garden hoses to water their lawns every summer, we wouldn't be in this mess.

~sHyLoCk~
November 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
There are plenty of decent arch users that converse civilly and/or help ubuntu users with their problems and sometimes try arch is a legitimate answer but if the question is "which debian based distro should i try?" / "how do i fix pulseaudio?", then answering use arch is basically no better than spamming adverts for diet pills.

I expect expect people to stay on topic and will continue to attacking idiots who push their agenda into any/all posts

You should report those posts then. If you feel they are spam, you are supposed to report as a member of this community instead of taking it out on all Arch users here.

handy
November 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Refrain from misquoting me now & forever!

If you don't go back & remove my misquoted post from your previous post_79, then you may very well be the first person in my 4 years of being a member here that I report.

You have crossed a boundary buddy!

Fix it!

corsakh
November 25th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Actually, I'd taken him to be talking about the popularity of GNU/Linux (in terms of sheer number of users) rather than the quality of the operating system itself, and his general message to be that he was worried that the infighting between different supporters of different distros could be offputting to casual but interested neutrals. It does all get a bit Life of Brian sometimes.
Thank you, thats exactly what I was trying to say.

nothingspecial
November 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
"Why don't you go talk about your LG Washing machine at the LG Washing machine forums?"

Because every third or fourth post says, you ought to try Arch and it gets boring.

handy
November 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Because every third or fourth post says, you ought to try Arch and it gets boring.

Could you please back that wondrous & broad generalisation up please? ;)

Flag
November 25th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Don't read the threads ?:D

soni1770
November 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM

umm, on topic ehh?

seems to me thats a discussion about arch users and there apparent spaming habits.

this threads only for Discussion about Discussions about Arch :popcorn:

nothingspecial
November 25th, 2009, 02:08 PM
All future "try arch" comments that are completely out of place in a given thread should be posted here.

All future "stop telling poeple to try arch!" comments also go here.

All future "Arch should/should not be discussed on ubuntuforums.org" comments go here, as well.

I thought I was doing the right thing.

Flag
November 25th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Did you actually try it ?

Sorry soni1770, it's not the discussion about the discussion but .......

Flag
November 25th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Did you actually try it ?

Sorry soni1770, it's not the discussion about the discussion but .......

nothingspecial
November 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Yes

For the record, I quite liked Arch.

There was a time though, just after they closed the other os talk forum I suppose, where it did seem there were an awful lot of 'you ought to try Arch' posts, even in the beginner forums. It got very annoying. I and a few others started voicing our opinion.

It got a bit out of hand.

Since then I have tried, with some success to stay away from threads that go all archy. Now we`ve got one where we can all vent our frustrations. Hooray.

By the way, did you vote for the washing machine yet?

Flag
November 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Yes, voted for the washing machine.
I'm on Arch and Ubuntu, I didn't notice Arch was pushed that heavily.
Seems to me people are over reacting re. Arch there ar a number of other distros qaoted with some frequency.

Again sorry for not staying in line ( discussion about discussion )

Flag
November 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, voted for the washing machine.
I'm on Arch and Ubuntu, I didn't notice Arch was pushed that heavily, just stumbled over this one today.
Seems to me people are overreacting re. Arch there are a number of other distros quoted with some frequency.

Again sorry for not staying in line ( discussion about discussion )

nothingspecial
November 25th, 2009, 02:35 PM
You are staying in line (except for double posting;))

It seems to have quietened down now. There was a time when alot of people started recommending installing arch as a fix for their Ubuntu problems.

It annoyed a few people, me included.

I`d like to point out though, that Handy, Ricemonster and the other fella who`s avatar looks like he is in the army weren`t culprits. I think it was probably brand new Arch 'converts'.

I made the mistake once of suggesting that if you want a great big "I`m a linux guru chufty badge because I`ve edited a config file when I installed", then you ought to try Arch.

Didn`t go down well with some of the Arch users.

Flag
November 25th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Shaky finger causes double posts.

Well I like them both, run them both. Each one has it's pro's and cons.
Not a linux guru myself I didn't find it actually hard to get Arch running to my likings.
The bottom line is ( as far as I'm concerned ) use what you like, choice enough, don't try to force people into something, suggest yes.

nothingspecial
November 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I wholehartedly agree.

Xbehave
November 25th, 2009, 02:53 PM
The bottom line is ( as far as I'm concerned ) use what you like, choice enough, don't try to force people into something, suggest yes.
Suggest when relevant:
"hai i was thinking of trying arch" Great
"What distro should i try next?" Good
"how can i learn more about my linux system?" OK
"What are your experiences using Debian sid?" Bad (but possibly ok depending on the content of the OP)
"Pulseaudio rocks" Plz die

RiceMonster
November 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM

That applies to everything, and you see it directed in different ways. Linux users that bug Windows users to use Linux, Mac users who bug windows users, users of distro x who bug users of distro y. It extends even beyond operating systems, such as "Why do you use an Xbox? PS3 is WAY better!". It's not something unique to a select group of people.

It's not a hard concept, but some people get overly excited about something and think everyone else should too, or they just think everyone is going to have the same experience as they do. Unfortunately, there's not a lot that can be done about it, but there are a few people who will learn.

Flag
November 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
So the bottomline stays the same, with the addition " try something and make a final decision in the end " .

soni1770
November 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popc orn::popcorn::popcorn:

Grifulkin
November 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Arch FTW!!!

~sHyLoCk~
November 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM
http://omploader.org/vMnVzeA/motivator8f1cd64160be2bdd34be8bf01ce5e6b64967e52f. jpg

Ji Ruo
November 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae9/thelionroars/BendOverBackwards11.jpg

koenn
November 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM
You are staying in line (except for double posting;))

It seems to have quietened down now. There was a time when alot of people started recommending installing arch as a fix for their Ubuntu problems.

It annoyed a few people, me included.

I made the mistake once of suggesting that if you want a great big "I`m a linux guru chufty badge because I`ve edited a config file when I installed", then you ought to try Arch.

lol & QFT