PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu One inop with IE

ciborium
November 23rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
NOTE: This is NOT a bug report. I know how to do that. Also, my wife is deathly afraid of change, that's why her netbook runs XP and IE7.

I was playing with my wife's WinXP netbook the other day, I tried to access Ubuntu One via the website. The site does not lay out properly in IE7. For fun, I tried it on the comp at church that has IE8. It was better, but no cigar.

I did not try it on Win Firefox, as that is not installed on either one, but assume it would work as well as on Linux. (Most of you probably run Firefox if you're still using Windows. Let me know.)

I just think its awesome that (while maybe not intentional) the new Ubuntu One website REQUIRES a standards compliant browser.

cariboo
November 24th, 2009, 12:11 AM
For safeties sake you should get your wife to try Firefox, you never know she may like it.

Firestem4
November 24th, 2009, 12:13 AM
For safeties sake you should get your wife to try Firefox, you never know she may like it.

There are plenty of firefox add-ons that will make Firefox look almost exactly like IE6/7/8 as well. That may help.

ciborium
November 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I've tried to get her to try everything: Firefox, Chrome, Safari, even IE8.

Luckily, she doesn't do any banking or anything important on it, and if she catches something nasty, she doesn't really have anything saved on it that would be missed. She uses it mainly for Facebook and Hotmail.

She periodically looks at the add/remove programs and throws a fit when she sees that I'm installing software on HER comp.

Again, I'm not looking for a fix. It was a one time thing, and I really have no plans to use it to access Ubuntu One again.

zagz
November 24th, 2009, 12:25 AM
NOTE: This is NOT a bug report. I know how to do that. Also, my wife is deathly afraid of change, that's why her netbook runs XP and IE7.

I was playing with my wife's WinXP netbook the other day, I tried to access Ubuntu One via the website. The site does not lay out properly in IE7. For fun, I tried it on the comp at church that has IE8. It was better, but no cigar.

I did not try it on Win Firefox, as that is not installed on either one, but assume it would work as well as on Linux. (Most of you probably run Firefox if you're still using Windows. Let me know.)

I just think its awesome that (while maybe not intentional) the new Ubuntu One website REQUIRES a standards compliant browser.

Maybe I will look that one up in the dictionary.