PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 Partial Install

themanwhoatejapan
November 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hey all,

Just got my 9.04 runnning how I want it with all the bells and whistles. I upgraded or tried to upgrade 9.10 and encountered issues...

It won't get all of the files and install them over and over so I did a "partial upgrade" and getting issues:

Now my network manager is broken
the sound is gone and has a padlock on it
the graphics are all mashed in Firefox
graphics generally a lot slower
compiz config won't activate any effects.

I've got my new wallpapers for Karmic and that's about it. Just that and a fist full of issues.

I've downloaded the ISO and was going to burn that and try again from scratch. What do you recommend?

dhavalbbhatt
November 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hey all, I've downloaded the ISO and was going to burn that and try again from scratch. What do you recommend?

I usually recommend doing a fresh install. That is the best way to ensure you get a "clean" system. Most upgrades, seem to be infested with issues - so unless you want to spend the next few days trying to figure out what went wrong and how to fix the issues, you may be better off taking a backup and installing 9.10 afresh (of course, also try using the LiveCD to see how 9.10 works with your hardware before actually installing it).

themanwhoatejapan
November 23rd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Sorry - how exactly do I use a LiveCD? I'm still pretty new to Linux.

All I want is a working system :(

dhavalbbhatt
November 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Burn a Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop installation CD from here
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
If you need help with burning an ISO file, you will find it here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
Next, ensure you can boot from your CD drive (this is a BIOS setting on your computer)
Insert the CD in the drive and re-start your computer - with the CD in the drive.
Once you boot from the CD in the drive, you will be asked to select the language. Select the language and then you will see a few different options on the welcome screen. Select the first option which says "Try Ubuntu without installing on your computer".
The environment that you boot into using that option is the LiveCD environment.
Hope this helps.