PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 to 9.10 /boot/initrd... KILLED

Alligator
November 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
Did an upgrade from upgrade manager (worked for desktop) However with my 64 bit laptop, it went all the way to "3 minutes to go" then the following.

Running depmod
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
Killed

I haven't shut my laptop office, presuming it will not boot. Can I back out of this? Can I download 9.10 (ios) and reboot laptop to install OR any suggestions.

Thanks

Ron

Alligator
November 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Did an upgrade from upgrade manager (worked for desktop) However with my 64 bit laptop, it went all the way to "3 minutes to go" then the following.

Running depmod
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
Killed

I haven't shut my laptop office, presuming it will not boot. Can I back out of this? Can I download 9.10 (ios) and reboot laptop to install OR any suggestions.

Thanks

Ron

The solution was quite simple. The laptop would not shut off, so removed battery. Downloaded iso file on desktop. Next restarted laptop and halted in grub to bootup in 9.04 recovery. This was successful. Next I put in the iso DVD and it stated that I had a pkg error and offered a command to rectify it. It did it's thing and I checked system monitor to discover I now had 9.10. I restarted the laptop and it worked. I had a problem with no sound, but was resolved by checking this forum. Life is great.