PDA

View Full Version : Is there a power off command?

dragos240
November 23rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'm curious if there is a power off command, that actually shuts the computer off without killing all the processes, and not unmounting filesystems. Literally telling the computer to shut off, without doing anything else.

Skripka
November 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
I'm curious if there is a power off command, that actually shuts the computer off without killing all the processes, and not unmounting filesystems. Literally telling the computer to shut off, without doing anything else.

Hold the Power button for ~5-10 seconds.

vigalance
November 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
sudo shutdown -h now

dragos240
November 23rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
sudo shutdown -h now

Trying it.

alphaniner
November 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
sudo shutdown -h now Trying it.

No, that's a proper shutdown.

Maybe you could do Alt+SysRq+REISUO without the EISU.

earthpigg
November 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
have you tried hitting it with a sledge hammer? :D

Bachstelze
November 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
"It's easy to solve the halting problem with a shotgun."

-- Larry Wall

pizza-is-good
November 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
sudo shutdown -h now

Now you put an icon on your desktop that will execute the command. oh wait! That already exists! Username>Shutdown>Shutdown.

OK, sorry for the sarcasm....:lolflag: it is actually interesting stuff. Not that I'd ever use it, but............

lykwydchykyn
November 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
sudo shutdown -h now

shutdown is a safe shutdown. It will kill processes, unmount drives, etc.

you want:

sudo halt -f

koenn
November 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
'shutdown -h' will go through the entire cleanup of stopping services, unmounting filesystems, bringing down network interfaces, ...

read

man poweroff

edit: oops, late ...

fatality_uk
November 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
Trying it.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/
Do a search for shutdown for as much info as you need.

Skripka
November 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
shutdown is a safe shutdown. It will kill processes, unmount drives, etc.

you want:

sudo halt -f

For the OP, FYI--this is not something you want to do to a system with data on it that you care about...all manner of bad things have the potential to happen...

Dharmachakra
November 23rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Why would you want to do this?

ratcheer
November 23rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Another (old fashioned) way is: sudo init 0

Tim

NoaHall
November 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
I would write what I did before, but I presume a mod deleted it(as I hit post before putting the warning there, so good catch mod)

Anyway, there's ways of doing it, but it could cause major system damage.

I suggest, if you REALLY want to do this, you make a old system, load arch or something on it quick, and then do a quick search for "Rasing Elephants Is So Utterly Boring" Note - this could well destroy your system.

dragos240
November 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
Why would you want to do this?

Just because I'm curious.

ZankerH
November 23rd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Asking people for help with destroying your system. There's a new one.

Is this one of those "I forgot my credit card password, is there a way to figure it out?" threads?

fatality_uk
November 23rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Asking people for help with destroying your system. There's a new one.

For the members of the tin-foil hat brigade,

DESCRIPTION
shutdown arranges for the system to be brought down in a safe way.

All logged-in users are notified that the system is going down and,within the last five minutes of TIME, new logins are prevented.

There is NOTHING wrong with using shutdown in the correct way.

koleoptero
November 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
Another (old fashioned) way is: sudo init 0

Tim
I remember using this (or something like it) once or twice when my power button wasn't properly connected to the m/b of a pc I had 7years ago, and the proper shutdown wouldn't work.

NoaHall
November 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
For the members of the tin-foil hat brigade,

There is NOTHING wrong with using shutdown in the correct way.

He's not asking about shutdown. He's asking(effectively) how to bring down a system by simply turning it off without protecting the system filesystem and so on.

RiceMonster
November 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
Does anyone know of an object that I could hit my computer with and will make it stop running?

NoaHall
November 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Does anyone know of an object that I could hit my computer with and will make it stop running?

Car, I guess. Usually works for me, but some say a hammer is faster.

dragos240
November 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
I wonder if /g/ will have an answer........

Skripka
November 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Car, I guess. Usually works for me, but some say a hammer is faster.

You can borrow the 20lb sledge hammer in my office if you like.

dragos240
November 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
Okay. Well, I asked /g/ and they said to use alt + sysrq + o, nothing happened. So then they told me to update my kernel.sysrq. I did, and it worked! YESH!

NoaHall
November 23rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
Yes... which is pretty much what I posted the first time. Now, are you pleased with yourself?

Oh wait! Turns out I posted in the wrong thread! Look here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8374271&postcount=33

***DANGER!***
I guess, you could try
"alt + sysrq/printscr" + r, then + b
---DANGER!---
That one will reboot the system.

tom66
November 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
For one of my old machines, I've got a 3 second shutdown. That includes syncing to the disks.

Basically:

sync
swapoff /dev/sda7
poweroff -f

dragos240
November 24th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Yes... which is pretty much what I posted the first time. Now, are you pleased with yourself?

Oh wait! Turns out I posted in the wrong thread! Look here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8374271&postcount=33

***DANGER!***
I guess, you could try
"alt + sysrq/printscr" + r, then + b
---DANGER!---
That one will reboot the system.
It's okay. It's solved. See my last post.
/thread

NoaHall
November 24th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I know. I did post it ages ago... it would have solved the thread about 10 posts ago.. I just did it in the wrong thread.

CharlesA
November 24th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I thought the OP meant making the machine hibernate from the command-line. I was wrong. :o

t0p
November 24th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I don't understand what this "danger" is that some of you are talking about. A few times now there have been power cuts that effectively did the same as what's being discussed here (I haven't got an interruptible power supply) and my computer hasn't died or anything. I mean, isn't this what journalled file systems were invented for?

tom66
November 24th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Sort of, but journaled file systems aren't fool proof - they can still leave the disk in an inconsistent state, it's just not so common.