PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can anyone tell me which Ubuntu is best for my system?

Maghdalena
November 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hi all,
I have a Dell Dimension 2350 that I got in 2003 and I知 planning to upgrade some things in it. Right now, I have:
256 MB of Memory(I plan to upgrade to 1 GB, the max my motherboard will take)
60 GB EIDE Hard Drive (Western Digital to be upgraded to 500 GB) I知 also planning on getting a PCI Control Board so it can see all 500 GB)
Lite-On DVD--Rom Drive(To be upgraded to a PATA DVD Burner
NEC CD-RW Drive
Speakers(Not sure of the brand) They致e died. Planning to upgrade hopefully to Creative Labs T-10 Speakers
Field Value
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB) Not planning to upgrade at this time
Field Value
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
Windows XP Home Edition SP3(Planning to upgrade to Windows XP Professional
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
CPU Fan(Mine Died, so has to be replaced(I知 not sure of the brand yet)

What I need to know is that I知 planning on Dual-Booting with Windows XP Professional on my I have several versions of Ubuntu(6.10勇dgy Eft, 7.04(Feisty Fawn庸or both Ubuntu and Kubuntu, Ubuntu 7.10(Gutsy Gibbons), Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.04(Hardy Heron) and Kubuntu 9.04(Jaunty Jackalope, which I really like), which of these would install with the least amount of pain, and work best and be most compatible with my system? I would prefer either Gnome or KDE, I知 pretty flexible. I like KDE, but the books I have for Ubuntu which is Gnome. As I said, I知 pretty flexible.
So can anyone help me?
Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Sincerely yours,
Katherine Logan
Maghdalena

dhavalbbhatt
November 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Best would be to use a LiveCD environment for the Ubuntu that you are planning to install (I would either use 8.04 LTS or 9.04) and see if the OS works with your hardware. If it does work, then it may be safe to assume that after the eventual install, everything will work exactly the same way as it did during LiveCD environment.

oldos2er
November 24th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Ubuntu LiveCD requires a minimum 384MB RAM. I'd recommend Puppy or DSL.

phillw
November 24th, 2009, 01:06 AM
You Dell people have a forum area all of your own http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=342

We must like you :D Whilst we will always answer general questions anywhere, for more specific stuff, head over to them, they're a nice crowd & don't bite (or, at least those that do have had tetanus injections - lol)

Regards,

Phill.

Maghdalena
November 24th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Well, I'm planning to upgrade my memory to 1 GB this holiday season. :)

Maghdalena
November 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM

Well, I'm planning to upgrade my memory to the maximum of 1 GB this holiday season. I'd be installing Ubuntu after the holiday season.

Maghdalena
November 24th, 2009, 04:17 AM
You Dell people have a forum area all of your own http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=342

We must like you :D Whilst we will always answer general questions anywhere, for more specific stuff, head over to them, they're a nice crowd & don't bite (or, at least those that do have had tetanus injections - lol)

Regards,

Phill.

Thanks. I'm still pretty new to the forums here, and didn't see it. Thanks so much. I went right over there and asked again. Hopefully, I'll get some help. I've already got some help from this one. :) Have a nice day.
Katherine
Maghdalena

gordintoronto
November 24th, 2009, 04:30 AM
After the memory and hard drive upgrades, the easiest way is to install XP, but only give it half the hard drive. Then try 9.10 Ubuntu from a Live CD, and if it works, install it. If you can play the sample video files and connect to the Internet, you should be good to go.

The 2350 can have a variety of CPUs, from a Celeron at 1.7 GHz to a P4 at 2.5 GHz. The slowest of those probably plays HD videos from Youtube very poorly. (That's my current benchmark for "is this a viable computer.")

Maghdalena
November 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
After the memory and hard drive upgrades, the easiest way is to install XP, but only give it half the hard drive. Then try 9.10 Ubuntu from a Live CD, and if it works, install it. If you can play the sample video files and connect to the Internet, you should be good to go.

The 2350 can have a variety of CPUs, from a Celeron at 1.7 GHz to a P4 at 2.5 GHz. The slowest of those probably plays HD videos from Youtube very poorly. (That's my current benchmark for "is this a viable computer.")

I have a P4 at 1.8 GHZ, if I remember right. I don't use HD at all right now. The Everest Home Edition says the CPU is 1,800, so I'm guessing it's 1.8.
Also, I have cable broadband at 5 megabits per second :)
Thanks again.
Katherine