PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help needed for installation

TheStoneCold
November 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hello, I recently acquired the file called "ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso" from a friend. I am aware the ubuntu 9.10 is out and his reason is that it has a lot of bugs in, but unfortunately I don't know how to set this up. I've trying burning it to disk with Nero.
I've extracted it and burnt the files to the disk and I have mounted with Daemon tools and Alcohol 120%.
So yeah if your guys here could help me out that'd be cool.
Thanks in advance,
Matt.

Cheesemill
November 23rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
No need to extract the files, just make sure you burn the file as a disc image, don't just burn the iso file onto a disk.

Then just reboot your machine with the CD in the drive and away you go (you may have to change settings in your BIOS if it doesn't automatically boot from the CD).

For more info check out the guides here http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

phillw
November 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hello, I recently acquired the file called "ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso" from a friend. I am aware the ubuntu 9.10 is out and his reason is that it has a lot of bugs in, but unfortunately I don't know how to set this up. I've trying burning it to disk with Nero.
I've extracted it and burnt the files to the disk and I have mounted with Daemon tools and Alcohol 120%.
So yeah if your guys here could help me out that'd be cool.
Thanks in advance,
Matt.

Dependant on your version of Nero, there is an option to burn a disk image. There are also some free ones available to do the same thing.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Has the info on that.

(By the way 9.10 isn't "buggy" - just a major leap forward & it takes a while for the dust to settle. People seem to leap on the VERY latest one, without even doing some basic checks & then complain... 9-04 is less scary)

Welcome to Ubuntu.

Regards,

Phill.

TheStoneCold
November 23rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the fast replys.

@Cheesemill: When I burn the image I get the choice to save the new "img" file as a ".iso" or a ".nrg"(Nero Disk Image) file so which one do I burn?

@phillw: I checked out that link and I am trying it as we speak, but if it doesn't work I will need assisting more. My version of Nero is Nero6.

Thank you both for your replys,
Matt.

TheStoneCold
November 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM
Update: I made the CD, not knowing if I was right. I booted then showed some Caldera DR-DOS 7.03. So like what did I do wrong?
Thanks again,
Matt.

Edit: I just tried "Wubi" seems to boot up fine and then I can login to the user and all but the screen resolution is to big, how could I change it in Ubuntu?

Rob Maddison
November 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Go to System>Preferences>Display and muck about with it there.

You may find that it resets but possibly not every time. There is some sort of solution to that by playing around in Terminal with some commands but I'm not that brave yet :-)