PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to upgrade ubuntu server from 6.10 to 9.10

ShawnSmiley
November 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
I have an Ubunut Server 6.10 install that has been running flawlessly for 3 years.

However I recently noticed that the apt-get routines are no longer pulling updates (apt-get upgrade returns 404 errors on all repositories).

So I'm figuring now would be a good time to upgrade to to either 9.04 or the 8.04 LTS releases.

What would be the best approach to use in doing this upgrade?

Can it be done remotely via ssh?

I ask because I'm no longer at the same physical location as the server (its on the US east coast and I'm on the west coast) and we don't have any Linux knowledgeable staff still on site.

This server is currently hosting our SVN Repository, though we want to start using it for hosting Trac as well.

Thanks in advance!

snowpine
November 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
6.10 reached its "end of life" a long time ago (April 2008 ). Here is my recommendation:

1) Back up all important documents and settings
2) Do a "fresh install" of a current Ubuntu version (8.04 or 9.10 would be my recommendation)

Some conservative users choose a "dual boot" where they install the new version alongside the old version, to use as a fallback.

Good luck!

phillw
November 23rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
As your system is working okay, IMHO, I'd hang on for the next LTS due 04-10. The guys over on the server section would be better placed to answer your question http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=339

They'd also be be better placed to advise you on how to do the upgrade paths.

I'm looking forward to 10-04 ... Came in at 9.04 as release cycle was already well the way through. goes to prove, however, that your system is nice and stable :-)

Regards,

Phill.

snowpine
November 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Phill makes a good point. If you can hold out until 10.04, you'll have the next "long term support" which is supported 5 years on the server side, I believe.

ps I forgot to mention, the 6.10 repositories aren't gone... they've just been moved to old-releases.ubuntu.com ... you could update your /etc/apt/sources.list if you choose to stick with 6.10, but want repository access. (You've made it since April 2008 with no security updates or bug fixes... why start now, right? ;))

ShawnSmiley
November 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback snowpine and phillw.

I think we're just going to do a fresh install of 8.04 LTS and then upgrade to 10.04 LTS next summer.

It's also a good excuse to archive and remove some of our old SVN Repositories. :-)

ShawnSmiley
November 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks Snowpine, I didn't realize the old repositories were still available.

snowpine
November 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks Snowpine, I didn't realize the old repositories were still available.

They are available, but not being updated (no security patches etc.)

There is a very messy way to upgrade using the old repos, (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades) but I recommended the fresh install for obvious reasons (you won't have to go 6.10-7.04-7.10-8.04-8.10-9.04-9.10).

slakkie
November 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
They are available, but not being updated (no security patches etc.)

There is a very messy way to upgrade using the old repos, (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades) but I recommended the fresh install for obvious reasons (you won't have to go 6.10-7.04-7.10-8.04-8.10-9.04-9.10).

Very messy? I've done so many upgrades (incl EOL) that I would hardly call it messy. The methods are proven to work.