PDA

View Full Version : "What" and Google.

mivo
November 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
I don't know if this works for everyone, but go to Google.com and type "what" in the search field. Don't press "enter", but look at the suggestions. Notice one that stands out? ;) (Language needs to be set to English.)

SomeGuyDude
November 23rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
You can do that with all kinds of stuff. Check out "why won't".

Bölvağur
November 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
what group did this?

Simian Man
November 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
http://googlelolz.com/

RiceMonster
November 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
What are these strawberries doing on my nipples i need them for the fruit salad

CJ Master
November 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Try why won't.

undecim
November 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
I've seen this before. Someone told me that it's a book

JDShu
November 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
I think these are regional though. In the US, if you try "how to be" you get something in the spirit of a recent movie. My friends overseas don't get that though.

ZankerH
November 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
"Why can't I own a Canadian"
"Why won't my parakeet eat my diarrhoea"
"How do I become a vampire"

Very helpful search suggestions indeed.

mivo
November 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
I think these are regional though. In the US, if you try "how to be" you get something in the spirit of a recent movie. My friends overseas don't get that though.

The "What" one with the strawberries worked from the US (Texas) and Germany -- but I had to switch my Google language from German to English. :)

sgosnell
November 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
It's a book title, available on Amazon. It has received lots of hits, thus it's one of the Google suggestions. Those are based on the most frequent searches.

dmn_clown
November 23rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
It's a book title, available on Amazon. It has received lots of hits, thus it's one of the Google suggestions. Those are based on the most frequent searches.

Certain names (namely the Google founders) are absent by design.

Praxicoide
November 23rd, 2009, 11:08 PM
It's people deliberately tweaking the results. This is proliferating fast, meaning it won't last long. There are a couple of sites that feature funny google suggestions, already.

Remember when people messed with the results so that if you typed "Biggest failure" you got George W. Bush or "french military victories" took you to a page that said "no results found, did you mean 'French military defeat'" and so forth? Google had to adjust their engine and now that doesn't work anymmore.

CarpKing
November 23rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Try it with "has " (make sure you add the space afterward).