PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] rt61 driver issues

Marogian
November 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 x64 on a fresh install and currently have the rt61pci driver running on my wireless, however the signal quality/strength is extremely poor compared to what I had in the same location when running Windows previously.

I've tried to compile the rt61 driver as downloaded from the RailLink website, however I cannot get this to compile. Searching the forum seems to indicate that this might be some kind of kernel incompatibility in Karmic?

I've read that the ndiswrapper approach is also a way to improve the signal quality, however I cannot find the correct windows drivers anywhere- the download from the RaLink website is an exe file which I cannot seemingly extract in Linux and unfortunately(?) I don't have a Windows PC available. Running the exe in Wine doesn't seem to work...

If ndiswrapper is in fact the correct way to go about this, would a kind soul be able to direct me to a download for the driver files in an accessible format? I've googled quite a lot for the individual files but none of them seem to work at all... I believe I need the .inf and .sys files for ndiswrapper.

On the other hand if it is possible to extract the exe file from the RaLink website in Ubuntu and I'm just being a moron, instructions would be most welcome! I've tried unzip in command line and running a few Archive GUI programs to no effect...

Thanks much!

chili555
November 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I think cabextract and unshield may help. Install with Synaptic.
cd directory/with/exe
cabextract yourfile.exeIf it doesn't work:
unshield x yourfile.exeOr:
unzip yourfile.exeThese work in 80% or so of cases.

Marogian
November 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
I tried all three of them: no luck :(

Thanks anyway...

Marogian
November 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Bump; anyone else got any ideas?

chili555
November 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
Do you have a link to the .exe that we may try out?

Marogian
November 23rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1

PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x) is the relevant driver.

Can't seem to give a direct link to the file due to the nature of the website...

Cheers

Marogian
November 24th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Bumpage...

Marogian
November 24th, 2009, 05:03 AM
After much more googling I managed to find the rt61 drivers at:

http://www.wireless-driver.com/download/ralink/ralink-rt61-abg-wlan-card-driver.htm

and it seems to all be working better now using ndiswrapper.

Thanks for your help!