PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installed 2nd copy of 9.10 on external drive, now Grub is broke

smapdi636
November 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I have 9.10 installed on my notebook and wanted to install a 2nd copy on a USB external drive so I could test something. That went fine, however now if the USB drive is disconnected, grub no longer loads. :( It shows:

GRUB loading.
error: no such disk
grub rescue>

So I guess now grub is referenced to the external drive and loads only from there. I am still able to boot to my main instance of 9.10 by having the external USB attached and selecting it from the grub menu. I would like grub to run off the internal hard drive and have the option THERE to boot to the USB instsance...

What did I do and how do I fix it?

Image attached for your viewing pleasure.

ptn107
November 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Run the following from a live CD terminal, assuming 'sda' is the original internal hard disk:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

audiomick
November 23rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hallo.
If you plug the USB drive back in, does it all work again?

presence1960
November 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
It won't boot without the external disk in because when you installed to that external you overwrote GRUB on the internal disk's MBR and now it is pointing to the external for /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

To reinstall GRUB 2 from a Live CD/USB follow this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD) taking care to install GRUB 2 to MBR of first internal disk to boot in BIOS.

You can also then install GRUB 2 to MBR of usb external that way when you plug the external in and boot from USB that OS will boot. If you have the external unplugged then the GRUB you restored to your internal disk will take over.

smapdi636
November 23rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks all ... I'll see how I make out. Guess I'll attempt this tonight. I'm too afraid to hose my machine during the day! (at work)

@audiomick Yes both 9.10 instances are accessible if the USB drive is attached.

namok
November 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
If you are worried that something goes wrong during installation then download the program Super Grub Disk. (http://prdownload.berlios.de/supergrub/super_grub_disk_0.9799.iso) To run Ubuntu just start the computer from the cd and select the following menu:
1. Choose Language & NO HELP
2. English Super Grub Disk
3. Gnu/Linux
4. Boot Gnu/Linux
5. Boot Gnu/Linux Directly

smapdi636
November 24th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Thank you all! presence1960's instructions worked perfectly and I'm a happy camper again.

I was able to install grub on both the internal and external drive and can boot grub from either.

I had to sudo update-grub with the external drive mounted to get an entry in the grub menu for the external drive's 9.10 instance.

presence1960
November 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Thank you all! presence1960's instructions worked perfectly and I'm a happy camper again.

I was able to install grub on both the internal and external drive and can boot grub from either.

I had to sudo update-grub with the external drive mounted to get an entry in the grub menu for the external drive's 9.10 instance.

Glad you got it working. Enjoy Ubuntu.