PDA

View Full Version : Will gNewSense disallow the installation of non-free packages?

Psumi
November 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Just wondering if this is true.

If so, will it disallow me to install ANY flash plugin (IE: gnash, swfdec?)

chris200x9
November 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
no AFAIK they are just not in the repo, thus making it "hard" for people to install them. Gnash should work fine.

ZankerH
November 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
They allow you to do whatever you like with the system, but non-Free software isn't included in the default install or the repositories, so you'll have to install it from another source.

And besides, it does kind of defeat the whole purpose of gNewSense GNU/Linux. If you want a version of gNewSense GNU/Linux with non-Free software, just use Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

EDIT: I see your question was about Free flash plugins. Those are, obviously, included.

Psumi
November 23rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
They allow you to do whatever you like with the system, but non-Free software isn't included in the default install or the repositories, so you'll have to install it from another source.

And besides, it does kind of defeat the whole purpose of gNewSense GNU/Linux. If you want a version of gNewSense GNU/Linux with non-Free software, just use Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

EDIT: I see your question was about Free flash plugins. Those are, obviously, included.

Sadly though, I need the MP3 codecs to even listen to flash audio, thanks gnash :( Guess I won't ever watch homestar runner again.

sliketymo
November 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Just wondering if this is true.

If so, will it disallow me to install ANY flash plugin (IE: gnash, swfdec?)

gNewSense wil niether allow you to install anything on your system,nor disallow you. If you go to the site and spend a little time exploring the links supplied,you will find instructions for installing Icecat(unbranded Firefox) with which you will be able to use the regular flash plugin.Both Gnash,and swfdc are available in gNewSense.

SunnyRabbiera
November 23rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Sadly though, I need the MP3 codecs to even listen to flash audio, thanks gnash :( Guess I won't ever watch homestar runner again.

No you can use a buntu package if you need it, there is nothing stopping you from using a buntu repo in gNewSense.

Psumi
November 23rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
gNewSense wil niether allow you to install anything on your system,nor disallow you. If you go to the site and spend a little time exploring the links supplied,you will find instructions for installing Icecat(unbranded Firefox) with which you will be able to use the regular flash plugin.Both Gnash,and swfdc are available in gNewSense.

But the "regular" flashplugin is nonfree.

No you can use a buntu package if you need it, there is nothing stopping you from using a buntu repo in gNewSense.

Like? I don't want to pay, but I want to be legal.

NoaHall
November 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM

Like? I don't want to pay, but I want to be legal.

It's non-free, in the sense it's not open source. Not non-free in the sense you have to pay.

SunnyRabbiera
November 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM

True, but there is nothing preventing you from using it in gNewSense, if you need it that much then use it.
I am no big fan of flash or its license or adobe but when and if you need it the plugin will still be there, flash is only non free as in its not open source, you dont have to pay anything to use it though.

ZankerH
November 23rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
True, but there is nothing preventing you from using it in gNewSense, if you need it that much then use it.
I am no big fan of flash or its license or adobe but when and if you need it the plugin will still be there, flash is only non free as in its not open source, you dont have to pay anything to use it though.

But the point still stands, it's non-Free software. If you're going to use non-Free software anyway, there is precisely zero point in using gNewSense, because it's essentially Ubuntu stripped of non-Free software.

Mind you, I don't use gNewSense regularly, even though I do keep an install on a flash USB key, it makes for a great portable system.

EDIT:

It's non-free, in the sense it's not open source. Not non-free in the sense you have to pay.

"Free" doesn't mean "open source". Go read up on Software Freedom (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html).

SunnyRabbiera
November 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
"Free" doesn't mean "open source". Go read up on Software Freedom (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html).

No I already know this stuff, dont have to brush me up.
But the OP seems confused on the subject, the flash player is free in price and legal for the most part but its not free in terms of license.
And I am aware that not all OSS is free of charge, though a good percent of it is.

NoaHall
November 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
But the point still stands, it's non-Free software. If you're going to use non-Free software anyway, there is precisely zero point in using gNewSense, because it's essentially Ubuntu stripped of non-Free software.

Mind you, I don't use gNewSense regularly, even though I do keep an install on a flash USB key, it makes for a great portable system.

EDIT:

I was trying to explain in a clear and simple way. No need for your preaching, thanks.