PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Desktop malfunctioning

Tiiba
November 23rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
So I got greedy and installed every last "-desktop" metapackage Synaptic could find. Then I got greedier and installed the -netbook metapackages. It's not a netbook, but I wanted to see what happened. Now my desktop is screwed up.

When I rebooted, I found my screen taken up by some sort of menu in place of my desktop icons. I had no idea what that is and couldn't figure out how to kill it. Eventually, I looked at my startup programs and found out that it's netbook-launcher. I set it not to start at lon-in, logged out, logged in, and it was gone. But my icons are still not back. Also, the desktop doesn't show a context menu on right-click, and windows lose their title bars when I maximize them.

I made the mess, now I want YOU to help me fix it. Sorry.

JCollierDavis
November 25th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Perhaps look at which packages were downloaded as part of that -netbook-remix install and remove them?

Would take some work and a bit of typing to get it all removed via the command line.

Sounds doable though.

jessie_james
November 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM
If you installed "desktop metapackage Synaptic" and " -netbook metapackages" at the same time chances are it's not compatible..you also mentioned that its not a notebook so I think the best option for you is to reformat it and just install desktop metapackage Synaptic:p