PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 getting IP assigned from wireless router but can't ping router

utvolfan67
November 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
I am new to Ubuntu. I installed 9.04 on my PC today & I connect to the internet via a USB Belkin adapter to Linksys wireless G router. It sees the Belkin & I am able to configure my wireless LAN using WPA. It assigns an IP to the Ubuntu PC but I can't ping the router or the XP machine that is connected via ethernet to the router. ifconfig -a shows wlan0 as UP and having the IP assigned by Linksys. Please help out a newbie Ubuntu user. I am tired of spyware & viruses!

Bon Dup
November 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
i am having much the same problem with my belkin usb.
shows the available networks, but can never connect to any.

are you using a 54g?

i found afew answers when i googled "belkin 54g+ubuntu+drivers"

sorry i cant help

utvolfan67
November 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Bon Dup,

I am using 54g. I can connect to the wireless network, I just can't ping the router or get on the internet. It is really confusing since the router has assigned me an IP address. I was wondering if there is some sort of firewall that Ubuntu has that I don't know about. Thanks for the google tip.

Iowan
November 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
What IP address does it get (post ifconfig -a)? Hopefully not 169.254.X.X - that'd be avahi trying to "help".

utvolfan67
November 24th, 2009, 05:52 AM
What IP address does it get (post ifconfig -a)? Hopefully not 169.254.X.X - that'd be avahi trying to "help".
Iowan,

No. I'm getting a legitimate 192.168.1.101 from the router. Is there some default firewall settings or something like that? I'm baffled as how the router can assign my PC an IP but I can't ping the router. Please help....anyone.

utvolfan67
November 26th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I've got more info on this now. It seems that a fairly weak signal is causing my problem. I was getting around 40-50% signal strength where the computer was. I decided to move it downstairs next to my router (86% strength) and now I can ping the router & get on the internet. Of course, that's not where I need this computer. I verified that Ubuntu is using a default driver for my Belkin adapter so I'm wondering if using a driver specific for Belkin would help with that. Thoughts anyone?