PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use an Anti Virus programs?

Tipped OuT
November 23rd, 2009, 05:38 AM
I've been using Windows for a long time now. I used to have all sorts of Anti Virus/Maleware/Spyware programs installed. It used to slow down my computer to the point it took 15 minutes to fully boot up and become usable. Even with all of this, I still got infections, but this was because I was doing foolish activities, like downloading things from an untrustworthy source.

Now I'm more experienced and know way around. I have no matter Anti Virus installed and my computer runs 10x faster. I do not download things from an untrustworthy source anymore, and I Google the application I'm about to install, to make sure it's safe.

For a year now I've been doing this, and I have no viruses.

So my question is, why do you use an Anti Virus? Are you paranoid? Don't know your way around yet? Just extra "security"?

ninjapirate89
November 23rd, 2009, 05:53 AM
No antivirus for me. I'm like you, I just practice safe browsing habits while in Windows.

jrusso2
November 23rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
How does safe browsing keep you from getting a drive by exploit from a legitimate site where an ad was hijacked?

Tipped OuT
November 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
How does safe browsing keep you from getting a drive by exploit from a legitimate site where an ad was hijacked?

When ever that happens to me, I just exit my web browser immediately. Duh. lol...

mamamia88
November 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
I don't believe in antivirus. It can't stop you from getting a virus it can only tell you when you already have one. Since virues are meant to be disruptive I think I would know if I had one

ninjapirate89
November 23rd, 2009, 05:57 AM

Ad-Block Plus ftw XD

Edit -> Also Flash-Block and No-Script.

lisati
November 23rd, 2009, 05:58 AM
I've only ever had virus-related problems with Windows, and that was from stupid choices on my part.

Firestem4
November 23rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
I use Anti-Virus on my Windows machines. Why? Because no matter how smart I am when web browsing, or what protection I use. Windows is not safe.
Specifically I use Malwarebytes. It is an on-demand, free AV/Malware and doesn't hog up your resources. It is also good at finding very obscure and less common viruses which most major commercial offerings do not find. That is what the company behind Malwarebytes specifically aims to provide for.

When ever that happens to me, I just exit my web browser immediately. Duh. lol...

Unless you're proactively blocking all possible attack vectors, once you go to a site, you can be infected, or attacked. The physical act of you actually Downloading something is not required to get infected...Do you download cookies? No, the web browser creates them automatically, as well as runs code from Websites. The mere viewing of a site is enough to do this.

Only things like NoScript (among others) can actively help you block [java]scripts from running in a web browser at a website you've never been to before. However it does not mean that there is no chance.

Rainstride
November 23rd, 2009, 06:13 AM
I pretty much never use an anti-virus in ubuntu, I do install clam on fresh installs just in case I need to check something for a windows using friend. but slowly iv been switching my friends to ubuntu. well, the ones that aren't gamers anyway. so at this point its pretty much just a novelty.

Tipped OuT
November 23rd, 2009, 06:14 AM
Unless you're proactively blocking all possible attack vectors, once you go to a site, you can be infected, or attacked. The physical act of you actually Downloading something is not required to get infected...Do you download cookies? No, the web browser creates them automatically, as well as runs code from Websites. The mere viewing of a site is enough to do this.

Only things like NoScript (among others) can actively help you block [java]scripts from running in a web browser at a website you've never been to before. However it does not mean that there is no chance.

Ah, I see. Well, I must be one lucky nugget, either that, or I have some sort of infection that I'm not noticing.

SunnyRabbiera
November 23rd, 2009, 06:18 AM
I have one in Doze that I use, mainly for trojans though.

maryyang
November 23rd, 2009, 06:18 AM
Using anti virus software would slow down the speed of my computer!I seldome use it!

wilee-nilee
November 23rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
There are plenty of AV software that does not run continuously, that work even better then the ones that do.

You can't say that your not infected if you have nothing to find the infection.

The only thing I have found lately was adware probably from having to use IE8 to get Firefox.

For those of you who worry about the slowdowns try these two, get the free versions.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
The second one is best if set to not run at startup, this disc cleaner works great and has a startup switcher, and registry cleaner.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Also the latest MS virus program is a continuous scanner but doesn't slow things down.
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Firestem4
November 23rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Ah, I see. Well, I must be one lucky nugget, either that, or I have some sort of infection that I'm not noticing.

An unfortunate side effect of using windows is that nearly 99% of all malicious programs are written with Windows in mind. Of that 99%, a sizable amount of malicious code or programs are VERY good. (Believe me...A conficker outbreak in a small sized network is a big headache, especially when you find a 'sleeper' a week later...).

I don't want to tell you what you already know, but in case you don't. Viewiing a site is literally downloading the source code (HTML), and your web browser interprets it. Therefore, your web browser has to run certain system calls, or if the website uses it, javascript to acecss your machine. Cookies are generated when you save certain credentials or information. Tracking cookies are nearly always embedded when you get bombarded with ads at certain websites... The list goes on.

I trust myself on the computer, but even occasionally I find 1 or 2 viruses. It can just happen, regardless about how good I, or anyone else thinks they are while using a [web browser on a] Windows computer.

hoppipolla
November 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
I don't coz AVG kept annoying me... but generally I do have anti-virus when on Windows. It... scans my pc for viruses to make sure none got on from sources I couldn't anticipate...

Oh, I also have anti-virus on Linux but I never use it, it's there for show really ^_^

speedwell68
November 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
I use ClamAV in Ubuntu. Not to have a virus scanner in a Linux based OS is fool hardy to say the least. Whilst your Linux machine cannot contract a virus it can pass one on to a Windows PC. I will scan on a weekly basis and more often than not I will find a nasty in my emal, ususally in the junk folder.

Bachstelze
November 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Only on Windows. I don't care whether or not my Linux machine can pass viruses to a Windows one. It is the responsibility of the Windows user to protect his machine.

Naiki Muliaina
November 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
I dont have windows, and dont use one in Linux, so a No from me :)

Giant Speck
November 23rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
I use Avira AntiVir to scan my computer weekly and Threatfire to catch and stop malicious behavior occurring within my computer in real-time. Those are only there in the event that my normally responsible browsing habits fall short of keeping me safe.

Grenage
November 23rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
At work I use clamscan, I like to perform a quick scan of media on request; at home I do not.

ZankerH
November 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
I don't use any of the major proprietary operating systems effected by viruses.

linux-hack
November 23rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'm using an Antivirus cause i share files between windows and linux so I'm checking that everithing is ok so I'll not let Viruses on the Windows PCs

garikaib
November 23rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
I hardly ever use Windows anymore. I don't believe in dual booting and my copy of windows runs in virtual box. Using an antivirus would simply gobble my precious RAM. And using an antivirus on linux is only for crazy folks.

speedwell68
November 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Only on Windows. I don't care whether or not my Linux machine can pass viruses to a Windows one. It is the responsibility of the Windows user to protect his machine.

What a nice attitude to have. Personally I work for a large government organisation and if I accidentally passed an email containing a virus onto a work system, I stand to lose my job. Also I do private IT work. Mainly small websites and system repair. If I accidentally passed a virus to a customer, I would not get paid and could stand to get sued.

It is up to all computer users to take a responsible attitude towards computer security. As someone who is obviously a well respected member of a computer community I would have thought you would have a better attitude on this subject than you do.

speedwell68
November 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'm using an Antivirus cause i share files between windows and linux so I'm checking that everithing is ok so I'll not let Viruses on the Windows PCs

Correct,:D

I hardly ever use Windows anymore. I don't believe in dual booting and my copy of windows runs in virtual box. Using an antivirus would simply gobble my precious RAM. And using an antivirus on linux is only for crazy folks.

Fail, see my above post.

nobster
November 23rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
i use an anti-virus in windows... i get a lot of documents on pendrives that are mostly infected...

jaebe2
November 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I don't use anti virus in ubuntu. I heard you don't get infected.
I use ESET in windows and it seems to slow my system down though.

t0p
November 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
What a nice attitude to have. Personally I work for a large government organisation and if I accidentally passed an email containing a virus onto a work system, I stand to lose my job. Also I do private IT work. Mainly small websites and system repair. If I accidentally passed a virus to a customer, I would not get paid and could stand to get sued.

It is up to all computer users to take a responsible attitude towards computer security. As someone who is obviously a well respected member of a computer community I would have thought you would have a better attitude on this subject than you do.

Strange. You end your post talking about responsibility, but your first paragraph clearly says you use AV because of professional reasons: ie you don't want to be fired and you don't want to be sued.

People who do not have such professional matters to be scared about may feel they do not have a duty to protect other people from malware that the other people's choice of OS makes a problem. If John Doe runs Windows, it's up to John Doe to protect his computer.

Nerd King
November 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Ah but generally you won't notice. Think about it. You're a virus writer. Which makes you more money?

a. Flash loads of crap at the user and destroy all their files, get noticed.
b. Silently hide in the background recording their keystrokes and sending them to a distributed network, hijacking websites, maybe routing all web traffic through a central server for analysis, providing remote control services for use in DDoS attacks.

Which would you choose? If you don't run an AV, chances are you have something but don't even know it.