PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer will not start after 9.10 upgrade

Linux_rookie
November 23rd, 2009, 03:09 AM
I have a 2004 era Dell desktop PC that was running (and doing very will with) Ubuntu 9.04. Recently I upgraded to 9.10 with the update manager. The update went successfully or so I thought, until I did a shut down and restart cycle. The computer now runs through the gnome screens, the monitor cycles off and then back on, but the screen is blank and thats where it ends. It will boot up and run with a 9.04 live CD, but will not start again when booting off the HD. What confuses me is that it ran on 9.10 after upgrading, but never on a cold restart like I did now.

PLEASE HELP!! I really don't cherish the thought of reinstalling 9.04, but that is about the only solution I can come up with!

ibuclaw
November 23rd, 2009, 03:50 AM
I have a 2004 era Dell desktop PC that was running (and doing very will with) Ubuntu 9.04. Recently I upgraded to 9.10 with the update manager. The update went successfully or so I thought, until I did a shut down and restart cycle. The computer now runs through the gnome screens, the monitor cycles off and then back on, but the screen is blank and thats where it ends. It will boot up and run with a 9.04 live CD, but will not start again when booting off the HD. What confuses me is that it ran on 9.10 after upgrading, but never on a cold restart like I did now.

PLEASE HELP!! I really don't cherish the thought of reinstalling 9.04, but that is about the only solution I can come up with!

So when you say it "runs through the gnome screens". What do you mean?
The new XSplash Screen? The new GDM Screen?

Regards
Iain

Linux_rookie
November 23rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
The Dell screen comes up first, then there is a Grub screen, and one after that. Then typically the monitor would shut down, restart and then the Ubuntu screen would come up. Now, the monitor cycles like normal, but when it starts back up again, the screen is completely blank. The HDD light runs for a while, but nothing ever appears on the screen.

Also, you never year the Ubuntu start up music either.

Linux_rookie
November 24th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I burned a 9.10 disk and booted the computer off of the cd. It booted up and ran fairly well. I tried to do the "check disk" option on the CD, but that froze it up in the same way it does booting off the HD. I took the CD out and tried to boot of the hard drive, still no go. I put the CD back in and tried the install option, went through a couple of menus but stopped before the formatting screen, just to see if that would work. It was working when I stopped the installer.

Am I going to have to wipe the HD clean and start over or is this something I can fix?