PDA

View Full Version : touchscreen notebook

sandyd
November 23rd, 2009, 02:20 AM
Does anyone know of a touchscreen notebook that works well with ubuntu?
planning on taking the desktop out of the car and replacing it with the laptop. theirs no room for the VGA cable, so I have to replace the current touch screen monitor with an entire laptop.

Excedio
November 23rd, 2009, 03:02 AM
You have a desktop in our car? What do you use it for?

Firestem4
November 23rd, 2009, 04:07 AM

Good question.

I can't vouch for how good it is with Ubuntu but there has been some considerable work from the community (for this partciular netbook.) The TouchBook from AI (www.alwaysinnovating.com) is a really nice touchscreen netbook that can be a tablet as well. Its not priced bad either, and battery performance is great. Its worth chekcing out if anything =).

ve4cib
November 23rd, 2009, 05:06 AM
I got my beta-testing Touchbook (https://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/) in the mail on Friday. I haven't tried it with Ubuntu yet, but it ships with an Angstrom-based distro from the factory. And it's got a detachable resistive touchscreen.

Some other TB users on the forums have successfully installed Debian, Ubuntu, and Android on the device, so it should work. The main HD is just an SD card on the botherboard, so it's very easy to install alternate OSs (and randomly change between them).

The downside is that the TB is a netbook-style computer. Depending on your needs it may simply not have the power to do what you need. And because it uses an ARM processor you'll need to recompile some programs, or find alternatives that have been compiled for ARM.

sandyd
November 23rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
well.... other people call and drive right?
i use the computer and drive.
its also used as a GPS locator ( im actually blind-ish, (staring at computer screen too long???), so i have to have a bigger screen to use the GPS.)
and a nice useful enternatinment device when your stuck in the horrible L.A. traffic (i admit it, ubuntuforum-ers, this place is waaayyy worse than toronto).
The radio was swapped out by my local mechanic (although i could do this myself, but im lazy) and replaced by a monitor (not sure if this is illegal, but w/e).
i would prefer something without an ARM processor cause the GPS software doesnt work on it.(Google Earth)

KiwiNZ
November 23rd, 2009, 05:23 AM
well.... other people call and drive right?
i use the computer and drive.
and its also a nice form of entertainment when your stuck in L.A. traffic.

Good grief :confused:

JDShu
November 23rd, 2009, 05:43 AM
I'm confused too.

lisati
November 23rd, 2009, 05:48 AM
I'm confused too.

Me three. Where do you find a power chord long enough to use the desktop while you're out driving? Unless, of course, the OP is thinking of a regular laptop that might sit on the desk.

sandyd
November 25th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Me three. Where do you find a power chord long enough to use the desktop while you're out driving? Unless, of course, the OP is thinking of a regular laptop that might sit on the desk.
swapped out the alternator and replaced it with a more powerful one. then installed a 12-120v converter. The cord is only 3m and its fireproof and rated up to 200 degrees C.

has enough current to run the desktop + monitor, but one of the reasons why im replacing that configuration with a laptop is because it sucks a bit too much power (gas bill).

I just have to be careful not to go onto any huge slopes or the ground might scrape the new alternator (its wider).

m4tic
December 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
I wish i lived like you

Excedio
December 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
How have you not been in dozens of car accidents yet?

Islington
December 2nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
this sounds interesting, could you post some pictures?:popcorn:

m4tic
December 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'd prefer video of how everything works, wat a discovery we've jst made