PDA

View Full Version : Blogging Software - Embedded or Stand Alone?

uncleBez
November 23rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
Hi,

I am a web programmer and my boss has asked to:

Change his Articles section on his website to a 'blog'
(I have suggested however that he may be better off creating a separate
blog website, on wordpress.org for example, or perhaps both).

He wants a blog on his websites for a number of reasons (regular updates for SEO reasons and for image reasons, to look tech savvy and 'with it').

I have an number of questions then I guess.

1) Are there any recommendations for embedable blog tools to plug into his website (which is raw PHP running on an inhouse framework built by another programmer (ie' not wordpress, or cakePHP or drupal or any other such framework).

2) What do you guys think about adding the blog to his site Vs creating a separate blog site (which would need to be skinned to match his site). Vs doing both?

3) So what is a blog anyway. He has asked me to define it for him a couple of times. I have pasted the definition from wiki pedia. But I really think its a very word that can be very liberally interpreted.
(To me really anything that has submitted, entries could class as a blog).
So when he asks for a blog (or client does) how do we know what they mean?

I hope this isn't to broad ;)

wojox
November 23rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
I'd just install wordpress. I run it and it's pretty simple to configure as far as themes/plugins. If you already have previous web programming experience, it's easy to hack up. You can get a pretty vanilla theme and go from there.

Technically it's web log, but me and my buddies always called it bitch log

uncleBez
November 23rd, 2009, 01:55 AM
ok great thanks!..

Since you mentioned wordpress and that you installed it on your server.

Is there any reason I couldn't just host his blog on http://wordpress.com/ and save our bandwidth?

wojox
November 23rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Never looked into it personally, but sure it's an option.

uncleBez
November 23rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Well seams like for a start, thanks for that, I jump in and make myself a blog! or one for him....

Anyone else want to way in on pros and cons of the above options (should I build it into his website, or link to wordpress (whether self hosted or on wordpress.com)...

uncleBez
November 23rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Ok, so I setup a blog on wordpress.com.
This looks cool.

I had a play with the customisation for the look and feel, and quickly found
the css editor and did some minor changes to make this look alot like
my boss's websites. But I need to pay an upgrade fee.

So its either a case now, of paying the extremely small upgrade fee.
or downloading and installing it on our server. Then I can do whatever I like.

But I really like the idea of hosting it on their server. Why worry about maintenance?

If I did install it. anyone have any experience on embedding wordpress into an existing site (or maybe I just out a duplicate of the navigate in the header of the blog, and point them to each other).