PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install bare bones Gnome D.E. on 9.10 Server

madhartigan
November 23rd, 2009, 01:31 AM
I'm looking to install a VERY basic gnome desktop environment on my new 9.10 server.

I'm not sure whether the steps mentioned in THIS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1079206&postcount=12) thread will work.

I'd like the box to load to the CLI and when I want the gde, i can open it on demand and then return to the CLI when I'd like to.

I've also heard something like gnome-core is the most basic version of gde that I can install, but I'm not sure how to do this correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

ram2500
November 23rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
You might be introduced to "dependency hell" if you desire to remove default packages. It can be done, but Ubuntu is not completely friendly when it comes to removing default packages. You can opt to get Ubuntu Server, which (I don't think) comes with a GUI, otherwise, Fedora is best if you want to weed out packages. I do know that with a Fedora install (DVD) you can install everything or install just enough for a simple CLI server, and add whatever you need later on. I do know that you can boot the machine to the CLI, without enabling any Gnome or x.org daemons. I don't know particularly off the top of my head how to go about this in Ubuntu, but this sounds like something you want, is that right? I am not completely sure if this will accomplish what you wanted, but wouldn't

update-rc.d -f gdm remove

do so? (as far as booting to command line) (Someone else might be able to explain better).

startx would get you to gdm if need be.

sc30317
November 23rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-minimal

madhartigan
November 23rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
basically, i just want the gde available when I need it, but I don't want all the OpenOffice, etc. installed with it.

I know there's a simple way to do this and I don't think Fedora would be necessary.

I already have the Ubuntu 9.10 standalone server(CLI) running beautifully and I just want a GUI for every once in a while.

madhartigan
November 23rd, 2009, 02:17 AM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-minimal

Will that install so the server boots to the login and I have to type "startx" or something to get into the desktop?

wojox
November 23rd, 2009, 02:23 AM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gdm xorg gnome-core

It's ugly but it works. You could substitute gnome-core for openbox or some window manager.

jerz4lunch
December 28th, 2010, 03:24 AM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gdm xorg gnome-core

you can also just use

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop