PDA

View Full Version : Canonical has a music store?

Grant A.
November 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
Is this really true? Could I get a link?

Ian dewhurst
November 23rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
I think its an idea thats just being thrown about at the moment for lucid lynx 10.04.
However I could be wrong its just what I read today, so I wouldn't be 100% sure there is an older thread abut this.

joey-elijah
November 23rd, 2009, 02:29 AM

Canonical don't have one, Ubuntu will be getting one in Lucid Lynx.

The store will be integrated into Rhythmbox more-or-les the same way that the 7Digital store is integrated into Songbird. (I.E. essentially a mini-webbrowser inside Rhythmbox (or Banshee, but likely Rhythmbox in Lucid.)

Xbehave
November 23rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Canonical don't have one, Ubuntu will be getting one in Lucid Lynx.

The store will be integrated into Rhythmbox more-or-les the same way that the 7Digital store is integrated into Songbird. (I.E. essentially a mini-webbrowser inside Rhythmbox (or Banshee, but likely Rhythmbox in Lucid.)
Doesn't kubuntu already have one in amarok then?

doorknob60
November 23rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
I think one of the Media Players needs to parter up with AmazonMP3, that would be sweet.

Giant Speck
November 23rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
I think one of the Media Players needs to parter up with AmazonMP3, that would be sweet.

It wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean, AmazonMP3 already has a Linux version of its downloader application.

Tipped OuT
November 23rd, 2009, 05:16 AM

**OFF TOPIC**

Oh, Grant. Don't change your user name man. It's the way we all identify you. It would be a shame to see it gone.

**OFF TOPIC**

Rainstride
November 23rd, 2009, 06:44 AM

its just a blueprint at the moment, there going to try and get it in by lucid's release.

heres the blueprint: lp blueprint (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/lucid-ubuntu-one-musicstore)
and the wiki page: music store (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/LucidUbuntuOneMusicStore)

praveesh
November 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Will the songs be free songs ? That is the songs that can be redistributable and sold freely (free means freedom)

ZankerH
November 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Will the songs be free songs ? That is the songs that can be redistributable and sold freely (free means freedom)

More importantly, will they be available in Free audio formats? Will this in any way be related to the criminal record companies who sue people for sharing their information? What is the privacy policy of the store? Does it support encrypted file transfer?

3rdalbum
November 23rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
More importantly, will they be available in Free audio formats?

Think about it - if they weren't available in Free audio formats, then you wouldn't be able to use the store out-of-the-box on Ubuntu.

Will this in any way be related to the criminal record companies who sue people for sharing their information?

I don't like them suing people, and I oppose plagiarism by many American artists, but I haven't seen anything that even half convinces me that they are "criminal companies".

Possibly. Hopefully.

Does it support encrypted file transfer?

Why would you want this? It will be a legal music store. It's not like those shady downloads that you want to try and hide from your ISP and from the RIAA. The only time legal music files are encrypted is when it's part of a DRM system, and I don't see Canonical agreeing to DRM music when they've been one of the companies campaigning to get rid of it.

praveesh
November 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
More importantly, will they be available in Free audio formats? Will this in any way be related to the criminal record companies who sue people for sharing their information? What is the privacy policy of the store? Does it support encrypted file transfer?

If the songs are in any of the proprietory formats, they won't play well in Ubuntu.

ZankerH
November 23rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Why would you want this? It will be a legal music store. It's not like those shady downloads that you want to try and hide from your ISP and from the RIAA. The only time legal music files are encrypted is when it's part of a DRM system, and I don't see Canonical agreeing to DRM music when they've been one of the companies campaigning to get rid of it.

The "nothing to hide" argument is inherently flawed. It's a two-way transaction that involves me giving them money, it's perfectly reasonable to include some kind of security measures. And I'm not talking about DRM - which restricts your ability to use stuff you bought, I'm talking about simple a simple strong encryption algorithm that prevents your ISP, network admin and everyone else who can see what you're doing in the internet from doing so. Just because it happens to currently be legal in the united states doesn't mean you have to be so open and upfront about it. I doubt any of the major ISPs or record companies will be treating this "music store" any differently than they treat the torrent trackers that pass around links to copyright infringing material.

Rainstride
November 24th, 2009, 02:34 AM
The "nothing to hide" argument is inherently flawed. It's a two-way transaction that involves me giving them money, it's perfectly reasonable to include some kind of security measures. And I'm not talking about DRM - which restricts your ability to use stuff you bought, I'm talking about simple a simple strong encryption algorithm that prevents your ISP, network admin and everyone else who can see what you're doing in the internet from doing so. Just because it happens to currently be legal in the united states doesn't mean you have to be so open and upfront about it. I doubt any of the major ISPs or record companies will be treating this "music store" any differently than they treat the torrent trackers that pass around links to copyright infringing material.

chances are it will have secure encrypted transactions. this music store is most likely going to just be a built in connection to a popular music store that people already use (Amazon or something like that) that has a legal deal with the record labels to sell there music. as for DRM almost none of the stores use DRM any more. even apple dropped it. so the chances of it having DRM is pretty much zero. Im hoping that it will sell music in flac at least.

chris200x9
November 24th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I hope it's avaliable to more than ubuntu, if it uses open formats I'll be ver interested in it. Not enough to jump ship to ubuntu though.

Rainstride
November 24th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I hope it's avaliable to more than ubuntu, if it uses open formats I'll be ver interested in it. Not enough to jump ship to ubuntu though.

chances are "at first" it will be ubuntu only, but down the road it maybe able to be expanded to the other distros. I doubt that any distro other than ubuntu will be using it within the first 6 months (or how ever long there release cycle is). this is something pretty new, chances are the other distros will stand back and wait till its ironed out nicely buy the ubuntu devs.

though, you never know.;)

Grant A.
November 24th, 2009, 04:34 AM

I haven't heard of any iTunes shoppers being taken down by the RIAA yet...

DeadSuperHero
November 24th, 2009, 05:27 AM

It exists, it's called Jamendo (http://www.jamendo.com), and it's integrated into Amarok and Rythmbox. Maybe even Banshee, though I'm not sure.

What I'd really be interested in is some extra work put into some sort of syncing utility within a music player. Can it support my iPod (hypothetically, I don't really own one)? What about my hypothetical ZuneHD? My PSP? How 'bout my Sansa Fuze, or my iRiver?

I think it might be ideal to look into having some kind of unified library that makes use of the various transfer protocol libraries supported by open media devices, and to eventually also make it work with proprietary devices.

That would make me beyond happy, an actual FOSS media experience that rivals that of iTunes. (in sense of syncing and ease of use)

Ubuntiac
November 24th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Just heard an interview (Linux Outlaws or Computer Action show... can't remember which) with the peeps behind the music store.

Apparently it's Banshee only for the moment, although they've specifically tried to write it in a way to be easy to port to other players such as Amarok \o/.

Music will be in mp3 format, and relying on the usual codec reccomendation systems for people to get playing. As the goal is to have mainstream music available, they're having to partner with one of the big label providers, and none of them do ogg. The music will be DRM free though, with explicit permission for one (ie you) person to use the songs on as many machines as you wish.

While it's not in the roadmap for Lucid, they say they're hoping to extend into "other media types" in future (could Canada *finally* see an alternative to iTunes?.... Please?)

There you have it.

castrojo
November 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/LucidUbuntuOneMusicStore

mutrax
February 15th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I speak for a lot of my customers (that sometimes even switch back to Win for itunes) that this would be without any doubt the ubuntu killer app!

I'll be watching progress closely, and will be the first to sign in ;)

arnab_das
February 15th, 2010, 05:48 PM
if it gets ubuntu the financial support, why not?

besides its a really cool idea! :)