PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dual Boot (Windows XP and Ubuntu)

Muhnamana
November 23rd, 2009, 12:08 AM
So I've heard you need to enable the wireless card (wireless light on) before booting Ubuntu.

See link.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsBroad com

My question is, how and where do I tell the wireless card to be enabled before booting Ubuntu?

wilee-nilee
November 23rd, 2009, 12:55 AM
So I've heard you need to enable the wireless card (wireless light on) before booting Ubuntu.

See link.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsBroad com

My question is, how and where do I tell the wireless card to be enabled before booting Ubuntu?

Is your card listed on the page of your link? You should also list your card here so anybody using the same can confirm.

You also have another thread basically addressing a problem with a wireless card.

Muhnamana
November 23rd, 2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah sorry I need to close that other thread as I decided to dual boot instead of just Ubuntu on my system.

Yes I have a Broadcom card model BCM4318.

schwim
November 23rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks to another helpful person on this forum, I was able to get the same wireless card working by:

1) Installing Ubuntu
2) connect to a wired connection
3) Run system updates
4) Run restricted drivers app and choose to enable the driver for the broadcom chip.
5) Profit!

It's been working perfectly since.

thanks,
json

wilee-nilee
November 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
Yeah sorry I need to close that other thread as I decided to dual boot instead of just Ubuntu on my system.

Yes I have a Broadcom card model BCM4318.

I think the dual boot is a good idea especialy if you own a license to windows, this actually enables you to get a cheaper/upgrade version to W7 if you have a legal version.

So I see that your card is listed and it gives some instructions on what you have to do on the Ubuntu side, I have never had to do this, but many on the forum have. So if the instructions don't make sense then let the forum know through this thread or close this one and go to the wireless section or ask the mods to move it over there, I think your on the right track.
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336

wilee-nilee
November 23rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks to another helpful person on this forum, I was able to get the same wireless card working by:

1) Installing Ubuntu
3) Run system updates
4) Run restricted drivers app and choose to enable the driver for the broadcom chip.
5) Profit!

thanks,

json

Good job I forgot to mention this route. ;)

Muhnamana
November 23rd, 2009, 01:29 AM
I'm very very new to Ubuntu. I wanted to learn something new so many of the things on here is liking reading a foreign language.

What should be my first step to get my wireless card working? Sorry I am a noob and will take some time to get in the swing of things.

Thanks.

Muhnamana
November 23rd, 2009, 01:30 AM

1) Installing Ubuntu
3) Run system updates
5) Profit!

thanks,
json

Aight. Ubuntu is installed. Once I connect to the wired connection, where is the system update at?

schwim
November 23rd, 2009, 01:35 AM
On the top task bar, click "System", Then scroll down to "Administration" then click "Update Manager".

Once you've updated and restarted, Click "System" scroll down to "Administration" then choose "Hardware Drivers". Let it detect the card, then choose to activate the driver. Then just restart again.

Muhnamana
November 23rd, 2009, 01:37 AM
On the top task bar, click "System", Then scroll down to "Administration" then click "Update Manager".

Once you've updated and restarted, Click "System" scroll down to "Administration" then choose "Hardware Drivers". Let it detect the card, then choose to activate the driver. Then just restart again.

Great, thank you. Let me try this and see what happens.

Muhnamana
November 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM

Sweet! Thank you so much for the help. You don't understand the frustration I had today with this. Again, thank you!

Muhnamana
November 23rd, 2009, 01:55 AM
Now, where do I mark this thread as solved?

schwim
November 23rd, 2009, 04:03 AM
Very glad you're up and running.

Upper right of the first post on the page, you'll find a link called "thread tools". Click that and choose to mark the thread as solved.